Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The best way to lift the rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pitbulls'n'blazers, Feb 11, 2006.

1. pitbulls'n'blazers

pitbulls'n'blazers Registered Member

Hey guys I was wondering what is the best lift option for me (Newbie). I want a 4" lift but wich way should I go. I was thinking blocks and then I saw the Shackle Flip kit but being my first lift I don't want to screw it up?? So what do you guys think?? :thinking:

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shackle flips are the best way to go, but installing a set of shackle flips is a much bigger job than installing a set of blocks.

3. pitbulls'n'blazers

pitbulls'n'blazers Registered Member

That's what I thought? I might just go with blocks for now because I'm not going to be doing any severe off roading. It's easier and cheaper. I might go shackle flips later when I get better at mods.

4. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Just for reference -- I would consider myself generally well-versed in vehicle mods, and with me and another knowledgeable friend, a full set of tools as well as air compressor and service truck, the rear flip took us every bit of 6 hours. (actually probably more, because I pre-prepped) It's definitely the way to go in terms of quality and ride, but be prepared for it to be a job...

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Mine took about 1 hr for both sides off and another 30 minutes a side to reinstall. 2 hours total but no gas tank drop. i had a truck. BFH, grinder, a punch and a wedge are the way to go. grind the heads then get the wedge between the frame and bracket. a few hits later they just kinda pop of:D

Ps. thats me, by myself and includung the time it took to jack the truck up. also i didnt have anything prepped. If you watch me work though youd understand. i run around like a chicken with my head cut off while working.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya it took me and Roz about 3 hours to install mine and we had a little trouble with one of the backing plates not threading properly (our fault of course:doah: ). We also did not drop the tank and it included installing 56s and a 14FF while we were at it:D . I cross cut the heads of the rivets with a cuttoff wheel in the grinder then hit it with the airhammer and then came right off.

Ira

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I helped another CK5'er install his shackle flip. Angle grinder, 3 ft prybar, and BFH took about a day (6 hours) to do.

8. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

So you don't need to drop the gas tank to put the shackle flip on. Do you just take off the bumper?

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

me and a buddy of mine did a shackle flip on my 88 in a matter of a few hours. this was while the vehicle was on a lift though, and we were swapping rear springs. BEWARE though the rear flip will offset your rear axle an inch or two forward. keep this in mind if your planning more mods for the future as you might need to use offset blocks or move your rear spring hangers to compensate.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another thing to consider when installing a shackle flip is some of the other modification situations that can come up. When I installed my shackle flips, my Class III hitch was in the way of mounting them to the frame. I hade to get out my saws-all, and cut out 1" section of it. The next problem was my exhaust tail pipe. It was in the way of my left rear spring, so I had to get my saws-all out again, and wack my exhaust tail pipe completly off.

11. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Just to try and regain some of my manhood here --

I DID have to do the gas tank drop (Pitbulls, k5s have to drop the tank w/ a shackle flip, trucks do not), I also had the same problems with the Class III hitch (of course I didn't realize the problem until I tried to put the hitch back on, which meant undoing some of the already-in-place shackle flip bolts) and was doing it in my driveway with a couple of floor jacks, no lift. Also found that the air hammer was the best remedy for the frame rivets. And yes, it will move your axle forward (almost 2 inches in my case)

Anyway, just be aware that your experience may vary, based on expertise/equipment, but it can be a big project.