Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The blazer proved it self friday!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Jan 7, 2001.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Up here in NY we got some snow, out in the middle of nowhere where I am at we got maybe 6". The appliance delivery guys came to deliver all the stuff for our new house in a big box truck. Well they couldn't make it up the driveway, and the idiot tried to back down the drive way and well he didn't know that when your sliding and the front wheels are locked up it wont steer, so they put the whole rear of the truck in the ditchhung on the frame in the back and the axle housing was on the sluce pipe... Meanwhile i was laughing and watching getting out my chain and k5... a couple tugs and up the hill i went with them.. Shoulda seen the look on their faces "he'll never move this thing with that k5" wrong.. To say the least it was fun when the secondarys kicked in and all fours started chewin. Sorry for the book, just am pretty happy with with the old girl's performance..

Finally done after 8 months.. Not really.. IM never going to be done. Stroker motor is next

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i love it when blazers do [censored] people think they cant/wont!!!!!
    and then we prevail. its great!!!! anyone else got a story like this?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

3. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

That kicks ass. My dad called me the other day to pull his 3/4 ton furd out of the yard where he had it stuck with a ton of coal in the bed. His yard is like a bowl with long hills all around to get out, so I latched onto it while he was laughung saying I wouldn't hardly be able to move it in the 5 inches of fresh snow but drag it I did right up the unplowed road 200 yards out of the yard. We got to the church parking lot and he wanted me to stop so he could unhook and try to go from there but I couldn't see him waving through my fogged rearwindow so he locked up the brakes and it didn't even fase the Jimmy never missed a beat and pulled him to the main road with his breaks locked. He got out and said that the damdest thing he's seen in a long time. Doesn't laugh at My Jimmy anymore and he still tells his friends at the local greasy spoon. Damn I love my truck.

tree? what tree?

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

This kinda reminds me off going to school. Out front of school is two lane one-way street on a large hill. When it snows some of the kids waiting outside will watch the cars trying to climb the hill for fun. Usually its laughing or cheering when they finally make it up the hill. Its a typical slippery day and I just going flying up the hill in two wheel drive and bald tires. I go past all the other vehicles spinning their wheels and I didnt even to put it in four.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

This guy had buried his Nissan/Toyota (whatever) 2-wd(!) in the middle of a mudhole. Apparently he just got a lot of speed and tried to just skim to top and make it through. He didn't.
    To make it worse this is about a foot from the side of the bayou - real close to falling into the water (about a 8 foot drop). And, there were trees blocking me from exitricating him from the front or rear (if I had longer chains, I could have, but I just had some 10 foot lenghts with me.)
    So, I politely threw mud all over everwhere (and all over the import) getting my truck in a postion where I had to pull him almost sideways, up the hill, with all four of my tires being in the mud. I tried to do it real easy, but I was sinking. So I backed up and then hit it hard and after a few tugs pulled him up and out of the mudhole, huge roostertails coming off all four wheels.
    It was pretty funny because I had the chain hooked to both my rear bumper and his rear bumper, so he is in reverse spinning his tire, trying to keep his front from spinning around. Just for kicks, I drug him right through the middle of the next mudhole and left him on some dry ground where he could take a dirt trail out.
    It was an older guy, like 40's, still not sure what he was thinking.
    Still thinking how much fun it was to drag him around in reverse... lol
    -- Mike (I think every time I tell the story the mudhole gets a few inches deeper ;)

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I saw a Maxima stuck in the mud the other day. Pretty funny looking...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I've got a video from one of our night 'wheeling runs where my buddy's full-size Dodge longbed on 35 swampers was buried in a deep mud and waterhole. Picture this-his r.f. tire is completely underwater but still not touching bottom, the l.r. tire is 6 inches in the air,the other two are 3/4 buried, and I'm trying to convince the kid in the passenger seat to hop on out into 5 feet of water. Hooked the chain to his hitch frame and my brush-bar...76' K/5 Cheyenne on 33 inch mud radials. Slowly eased out the slack and then pulled him right out without hardly spinning a tire! Everytime he dogs on Chevys I threaten to post that video on the net-LOL!!!

"I'm not stuck...I'm just re-evaluating my line"

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

"...older guy, like 40's" ????????????

Just wait - you'll be there before you know it - you'll wake up one day and say "sh!t - I'm 45 freakin' years old!!! How in the hell did that happen????" LOL!!!!

behemoth K5

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

or in my case, "sh!t!!! im 19 years old! how the hell did THIS happen?

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    nuthin like a heavy chevy!

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

It's great having you "pups" around - keeps me on my toes!!!!LOL!!

behemoth K5

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm 25, but my daughter makes me feel 45. Is that close enough? ;)
    -- Mike

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Kids make ya old REAL quick!!! (gray, too )LOL!!

behemoth K5

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Damn! I've been driving K5's since before some of you were born! [​IMG] Bought my first one in 1981.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Well I was plowing my road with my 86 Blazer and my girlfriend and I hit a large drift. The Blazer got jolted right into the ditch. She looked at me and said, are we going to flip? It was sitting a little sideways and on a pretty good angle. I lifted the plow and tried to drive out of the ditch with about three feet of snow in it. Couldn't do it. so I backed into the ditch and drove down the ditch for about 15 feet. The deep snow was sucking me in deeper but with alot of throttle I tried again. Couldn't do it. So again I backed down the steep grade a drove down the ditch some more. Again I gave it full throttle and boom, she poped right out onto the road. I was so impressed I was screaming like a freak. I guarentee you another 4x4 would be getting towed.

I've got that thing stuck about 10 times in DEEP snow and all it takes is shovelling in front and back of each tire and the Blazer powers out every time. I need to get posi front and back instead if this one on each corner only crap.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

15. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

We was doing some repairs on Mom and Dads house when we rented a man lift .... well they didnt have the pull behind your truck kind ..... so they gave us the big man lift like they use in the manufacture plants...... so we are drivin this thing that had to be delivered with an 18-wheeler around the yard and we proceed to get stuck ...... now this thing has mud grip lookin tires and says 4x4 all over it ..... this thing is so heavy its sinking hile we watch it .... so I run and get my blazer .... my brother laughing all the while...... I tie my tow strap and told him to put it in hi............. he says yeah right ........ well he didnt put it in high but he at least released the hydraulic brakes and my blazer crawled right out of the yard with this thing in tow ....... he is impressed with my truck now ..... but then I thought this was pretty normal for these blazers so I didnt get real excited ....

Bigger is Better [​IMG]
    Channing74

16. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

A couple of weeks ago I was out wheeling around at the slab in Texas. I stopped and talked to a guy that had a nice looking blazer when we noticed a guy walking back towards the road out on one of the sand bars in the middle of the river. He convinced a full size dodge(I think 2.5 lift with 33's) to come pull him out. After watching that dodge take 20 minutes to cross the river and then try to make it up the sand bar, I said I'll go get him :) I drove through the river, right up the sand bar past the dodge and proceded to the stuck jeep. The look on the guys faces in the dodge was classic. Keep in mind that my blazer is stock with 32's. I got to the jeep no problem to see that he buried his front end in the river. I hooked up to him and got ready to yank.. He said no wait! We will need to wait on the dodge to get here to hook both vehicles up to pull him out.. I just laughed and told him to get in. By this time the dodge finally made it there and the guys got out. I creeped forward then once it was tight I gave it about 1/2 throttle and pulled him right out. It was so funny watching this guy out of my back window.. He could not believe that a stock blazer was pulling his precious jeep outta this mess. After it was all said and done I was offered a pearl beer for my efforts.. I just looked at him and laughed. You got a guiness I'll take it, but pearl.. no.. Theres my story..

Phyte

17. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

These should be like blazer testamonies lol know what I mean?

[​IMG]

18. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Phyte - where is the slab you are talkng about?
    Your profile says Austin. My brother lives in Austin (I live in Houston) and I would like to know where some good public off-road places in Austin are.
    -- Mike

19. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

TX Mudder

Its about 45 minutes NW of austin out by Llano. We are planning a big trip on the 27 of this month, you should come out with us! So far I believe there are 12-15 vehicles going. We are camping out so bring a tent heater :)

Rocko you want to give some more details on this?

Phyte

20. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I wish I could make it. I'm still in the process of making a killer 73 k20 out of a stripped 73 and a rusty 76. :)
    Hopefully won;t be too much longer till I'm actually driving it again instead of just talking about driving it.
    -- Miek