Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the burned 86...pics of damage and progress

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Dec 25, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well a couple of weeks back the 86 had a fuel fire and got a little crispy, now I have got off my butt and started cleaning it up and yanking it apart so I can repaint it. the top of the motor got chared so I pulled it to make cleaning this mess up easier. I also decided to yank the top end of the motor off just to redo the seals even though they "looked" ok. so far the damage is..

windshield
    wiendshild rubber
    dash
    dash duct work
    ac compressor
    heater/ac contols and housing
    guages
    besel
    wiring harness
    carb
    bottle and hard line for hydro
    and other little junk

plans are to repaint it, throw the motor back in and new goodies, then redo the interior and call it a day, when I am done she will be nicer then when I finished it the last time! I am just lucky the damage was kept to a minimum!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how it did look at one point in time..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ohh, that is not me posing in the orange..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're a complete ****ing moron.

3. supersize75k5

ahh here we go timmy,

lay it on me,

do you think I wanted it to catch on fire or something???

I just have been busy and thought I would post up, sorry I dont have some amazing roll pics or my truck slamming though 5 feet of mud..

it had a fire, it was a not a total loss so I am fixing it back up rather then part is out or stare at a burned truck.

-shawn

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

wtf happened to that air filter? Looks like a solid piece now, was it paper/k&n/what? Good luck on the rebuild.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are the pics with the front clip off what it looks like now? If so, it looks like you are getting a lot done, good luck with the rebuild. Oh, and buy a few fire extinguishers for next time... :D

6. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

that pic is some what old (but that is how it looks now with the front clip off). the paint has been sanded down and we are geting ready to do some body work.:grin:

7. supersize75k5

it was a paper filter with a screen, what you see is just the screen,

also we had a fire exst. but it was dead..doh

the pics of the front are how it looks now, I have sanded everything down and cleaned it all up, a fire shure does make one hell of a mess!

8. rescuekrawler

rescuekrawler Registered Member

front sway bar

In the pis where its flexed out do you have sway bar disconnects b/c I had the same promblem w/ hood gap If you dis connect then your front will flex much more than....... well none lol

Good luck

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I hate dealing with fires like that. I had to resurrect a friend's truck that had an engine fire once, and it wasn't the funnest job. And it didn't get into the inside that bad; yours looks horrid on the inside of the dash.

Have fun on the wiring... starting with a blank slate is much easier at least than dealing with half burnt harnesses.

By the way... still got those shocks? ;)

10. supersize75k5

yes and yes

I am starting clean, no use in tryig to save any wiring, one big loss is my nice tilt colum though, what a damn shame :(

I hope to finish the truck this week, but my car is having idnition issues "damn points" so I am dealing with that right now,

always some thing

11. supersize75k5

the hood had a latching issue, the stricker bar was way off, I assume is was a defect hood, over time it wore away the bar where the sticker hit, after a while it would not latch, so it came up all the time. The fix was to remove the bar and move it over, but that didnt sound like any fun. I am done with cowl hoods, alot of them are just poor quality, and they are not very consistant from one hood to the next.

oh and in the pic the sway bar is dico'd

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

with a name like 'fire wall' i though it would do a little better. damn

what caused the fule leak?

bad conection, busted line?
    that sucks dood
    sorry dave

13. supersize75k5

I "think" the fire was caused from the rubber line leading to the carb, I had not drivin it alot lately, also the float could have stuck open? i dunno for shure though.

lol firewall....

I think it did a great job, I would say the windshield going out, and the ac/heater crap caused most of the interior damnage, if the windshield had styed together I dont think the dash would have gotten chared, the far drivers side of the dash/guages/besel was not burned that bad,

also the seats just need to be reupulstered.."sp" the foam is all there so that makes me a little happy. so far the big cost is just a winshield, and all the misc. hoses, belts, gaskets, plugs wires, battery.

beleave it or not my burned optima with a 2 or 3 inch hole down the top of it will still fire up a car..

I hope to get alot done today, and since the motor is out it looks like I can shoot the inside of the fenders and the fire wall, should look real nice!

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

call up optima with that info, see if you can get some cash for that info:grin:

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

he he he that tickles me...