Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Canterbury Tales

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Aug 29, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I bought the book, remembering a little thing we did in english class a couple years ago. I'm scared by the size of it (unusual for me), and the archaism of the language. I think it will take a long time, a lot of thought, a lot of writing, but it should be fun and interesting...

Anyone ever read them? What thoughts do you have? Any other opinions?

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Had to read it in a British Lit class in high school. Teacher was fanatic about it. Don't remember much else about it.

3. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Had to read it in college for my English Lit degree. Believe it or not, reading it out loud helps you get into the right mindset for reading olde :rolleyes: english. Pretty soon you will not have a hard time with the language. Pretty riebald stuff in there considering the time period it was written in.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I concur. Listening to Shakespeare makes it easier to read Shakespeare. I actually collect just about anything Shakespeare I can get my hands on.

Even have a book called First Folios which is supposed to be the scripts in his original handwriting. Not the actual scripts of course. Facsimilies.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

The biggest help I had following Shakespeare was watching the "modern" version of Romeo and Juliet. That made things so much easier for me it was shocking. I think being in a rush, as a class would put me in, is really harmful to being able to follow works like these. Paradise Lost and Regained just came in the mail today...

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I would loose my degree if any of my prof's saw this.... but I have to agree the "new" Romeo and Juliet really opened up that play for a lot of people. True, it well, strayed a little bit, but it made the story interesting and reachable for those who didn't want to dive into the written text.

Mel Gibson's Hamlet did the same thing. I did my thesis on Shakespeare in film. If you want to really mess with your mind watch Gibson's Hamlet and then put on the film Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. You see the traditional story, and then the same story from the point of view of two other characters. Even better if you load up on frosted barley pop during the first one. :D

If you are really interested in Shakespeare get the Riverside Shakespeare text book. On every page it has footnotes that really help you understand the play. Incredible book that has every play and sonnet from old Willy, as will as lots of commentaries and essays on Shakespeare.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0395754909/103-6892789-3802264?v=glance

Paradise Lost...... you are a glutton for punishment. I still have nightmares from my Milton class.

Something else that might help if you are into Ren. and English Lit. is checking out the Greek classics, tragedies, and comedys. Lots of references to these in the above mentioned texts. The education of the authors of these time periods were the Greek classics.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Thanks for the direction!

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Hamlet then Rosencrantz?

Don't make the poor fellow flip out just as he's gettin into ye olde texts!!!

9. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Try reading Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Chronicles of Narnia, Divine Comedy, and Chauser's Canterbury Tales all in a 4 weeks span. =) That's like 12 novels.... heh.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Chuck in the Wheel Of Time and Harry Potter series for 16 more books

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I see you have been there Justhorsinaround! :D

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Nothing I've read has yet to surpass, or compete with Frank Herbert's Dune series. RJ, I believe you would admire the complexities, especially in the God Emperor volume.