Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Cat in the Hat in the Dodge Hemi Ram ran over the Bunny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Dec 15, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[Rant ON]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I want to put the 'Cat and the Hat' in a 'Dodge Hemi Ram', set it/them on fire, and push the whole mess off a cliff!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Saw the Cat in the Hat. Didn't care for it much, but the kids did so hey, I'm OK with it.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I'm a Chevy Man, but if you gave me a new Hemi Ram, I would certainly drive it and probably learn to love it. A cool truck for sure.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But the Media Bombardment!!! Holy Brainwashing BatMan!!! They're everywhere!!! Do you get a Hemi Ram in every Happy Meal, or do you get a giant Red and White Striped Hat with every Hemi Ram??? It's so confusing??? And don't EVEN get me started on that Freakin' Engergizer Bunny!!! I HATE the Bunny!!! I actually stopped buying Energizer batteries because I hate that Bunny so much!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Boy what I'd give for a plain old 'Where's the Beef?' commercial right now. Or a Hamburgler Kid's Meal... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I wonder if I should change my username to "Mr. Happy" ???

Oh, the Holidays!

[​IMG]And as for the Hemi, it's been around for a long time in lots of non-high-performance applications and nobody put up billboards or ran commercials every 30 seconds. It's all marketing now.

[​IMG]Do people realize that the LS6 has been criticized for being an "Antiquated Pushrod Single Cam Design" and yet it's efficiently putting out 400hp naturally aspirated off the showroom floor??? I want an LS6 Happy Meal!!!

[/Rant OFF]

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should ask for one for Christmas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

>>>>Hijack<<<<<

Is there anything different in the design of a Hemi engine Vs. Non-Hemi, or is it purely advertising?

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [Rant ON]

[​IMG]Do people realize that the LS6 has been criticized for being an "Antiquated Pushrod Single Cam Design" and yet it's efficiently putting out 400hp naturally aspirated off the showroom floor??? I want an LS6 Happy Meal!!!

[/Rant OFF]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, "they" are ricers. i had a kid say to me today "there IS a replacement for displacement. its called forced induction!" so apparently you can turbo a VTEC, but not supercharge a BBC.......

hemis have different head designs. i think the combustion chambers are HEMIspherical.

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    >>>>Hijack<<<<<

Is there anything different in the design of a Hemi engine Vs. Non-Hemi, or is it purely advertising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you what little I know, but I'm sure there are plenty of guys here that have/had hemis and/or worked on them... The Hemi really is an excellent design, especially for the time it was created in.

Traditional heads have a somewhat 'flat' combustion chamber and the valves run straight in, pointed at the piston.

The Hemi heads are much more complicated. The combustion chamber is 'Hemispherical', maning it's basically shaped like a half of a ball. The valves have to run at angles perpendicular to the sphere, so the pushrods and lifters and such are more complicated.

The power gain is in the fact that the combustion/explosion in the combustion chamber (piston top AND combustion chamber combined) is, by physics, spherical. As the explosion expands, it is more efficiently mated to the chamber, and you are basically optimizing the power you get out of the explosion.

This is sort of why there's a point of diminishing returns on old-style high-dome pistions. Sure, they compress the hell out of the air/fuel mix, but the shape of the compressed mix is so inefficient due to the piston's top trying to squeeze into the head and relief for the valves that the combustion is less than optimal, creates hot spots in the head and pistion, etc. Creating 'High Compression' and creating 'Efficient High Compression' are totally different things... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [Rant ON]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I want to put the 'Cat and the Hat' in a 'Dodge Hemi Ram', set it/them on fire, and push the whole mess off a cliff!!!

[/Rant OFF]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention throwing the Arby's glove into the back of the truck for the ride off the cliff! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

meh, while I think its cool to bring back kick azz old school car designs and stuff I dont think much of the new hemi. I know, I know, back in the 50s and crap there were some weenier hemis...but when someone says "hemi" to me, Im thinkin 426... prolly the most bad azz gas burning engine ever sold to joe six pack. Compared to that history, the new hemi doesnt do much for me. Not to mention that you can get dodges with the HO cummins... 555 ft/lbs at 1400 rpm. hemi what? meh. good engine for the durango i bet, but for a big azz full size I'd take the cummins any day.

j

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Doesn't the new Hemi only have like 340 hp or something like that? I toasted one in my bro's 92 Firebird, so that felt a little good at least. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to mention that you can get dodges with the HO cummins... 555 ft/lbs at 1400 rpm. hemi what? meh. good engine for the durango i bet, but for a big azz full size I'd take the cummins any day.

[/ QUOTE ] I would take a cummins turbo over a hemi anyday too

10. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to mention that you can get dodges with the HO cummins... 555 ft/lbs at 1400 rpm. hemi what? meh. good engine for the durango i bet, but for a big azz full size I'd take the cummins any day.

[/ QUOTE ] I would take a cummins turbo over a hemi anyday too

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I would take a Vortec 6.0L over a hemi anyday. Similar to better mileage depending on gearing and more power. All Vortec's are far superior engines IMO.

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I totally agree, wow you have a little bit different head design great..
    One of my buddies rented a hemi ram when his superduty was getting fixed and he went on and on about how cool it was since it had a hemi, then proceeded to ask whats different about a hemi.
    I think the commericals are making people think its got a 426 under the hood or something. Now that SRT10 or whatever its called with the Viper V10 that is going to be something I'll probably end up respecting, along with the current cummins of course.

13. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yea the new SRT10 pick up is the [darn] supposed to do 0 - 100 and back to 0 in 18secs. its at 100 in about 10 secs so then on the brakes for 8 thats pretty badass