Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THE CURE FOR ALMOST ANY STEERING PROBLEM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Aug 28, 2002.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I installed my new Redneck Ram system from West Texas Offroad in Moab. Yes I had I had an A.G.R. system on it but guess what it failed again as I pulled my truck off the trailer. Well guess what Matt with West Texas Offroad had an extra set up with him that we installed in the parking lot of the Motel 6. I more that gave his ram a work out with the 42's on the K5. Another guy won a West Texas Offroad system he had 1/2 ton axles and 44's on his blazer and was using one finger to turn the tires on Rusty Nail. He was telling me about the death wobble on the hwy. when he was using 2 shock to try and stop it but didn't. After he install the ram and removed the shocks the death wobble was gone. Just watching him wheeling with 44's and a grin from ear to ear was pretty cool. Back to me I told you guys I had the A.G.R. set up and now run the West Texas Offroad system so I now know how they both feel. The W.T.O. systen feels to have more power and is a little faster than the A.G.R. My old system would leak when the ram was hit by rocks and I would need to replace the seals but I beat the hell out of the W.T.O. system on upper helldorado and no leaks the ram looks to be built better than the A.G.R. ram. My old A.G.R. had dead spots in it a times mainly when it got hot but I found none in the W.T.O. unit in the heat of Moab. Now here is the main thing the PRICE is about half the price of the A.G.R. system. WOW!!!! The Customer service at the shop is great the people talk to you like you are the only customer they have. Tell you what that is rare in the world today. Well this is just my .02 cents na I think I spent the whole dollar. All I wanted to say is the West Texas Offroad Redneck ram system is a very good system and the price is very fair this is by far one of the best mods you could do to your truck.
    HERE IS A LINK TO WEST TEXAS OFFROAD AND THE REDNECK RAM SYSTEM

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Billy,

Did you replace just the AGR RAM for the WTO RAM? Or did you replace the whole setup (ie, AGR gear box too?)

I've been talking to Matt for quite a bit in the past. I was going to replace my AGR RAM for his new ones, but never got around to it. My AGR RAM setup pissed me off last time on the trail. I couldn't steer at some situations. Had to really give it some gas to steer. That's not suppose to happen with an assist setup...

Anyhow, what size RAM did you get? I'm assuming it's the 1.5"...??
    Boss

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i got a redneck ram from matt to.... just need to get my d60 spring plate so I can set everything up... and then my pics + test report will be posted!

J

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I replaced the whole set up with W.T.O. system and the ram was the new 1 3/4 I think but may be the 1 1/2 Matt would know. Man I sure love his system. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with you on every point. Matt is a great guy, customer service rocks, and the system flat out works. I've got the older slower 2" ram in mine ( /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ) which makes it steer slow, but I love being able to steer locked 42s with one hand.

Right now my only problem is I have to rev the engine up off idle to be able to turn AND use my hydro boost brakes at the same time. At idle, I have to choose one or the other, not good going down parts of Rusty Nail! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif It's hard to get used to reving the engine against the torque converter while WAY nose down AND off camber leaning toward a drop off! But that is the only way I could steer and use the brakes. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I think that will be corrected after I do the “fluid volume mod” to the pump (on Matts WTOR site). If not, I’ll have to call him about a new smaller ram. May do that anyway…

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

My pull truck is like that if I crank it up and have my foot on the brakes then it will not steer. That is why me no likely hydroboost brakes.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I got my WTO setup installed last weekend and I love it. I bought the smaller 1.5" ram and it works great, even at idle and with no ps pump mods. Can't wait to try it out at Disney!

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

while we are all talking redneck ram stuff... is there a cheap way to run a bigger PS fluid resevoir? I guess if I put a big cooler on it that would increase capacity some... but bleeding a big tranny cooler on a PS set up is a pita isnt it? gonna be setting up my ram soon.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I had no problems bleeding my ps cooler. [​IMG]

10. BadDog

There are 3 easy ways to increase capacity.

1) Add a cooler. Not that hard to bleed as long as the exit (return) line is on top. However, to prevent drain back it needs to be below the pump (though some seem not to have this problem, it results in over flow for others). The result is that when the max fluid is in the system, the pump is dry (or nearly so) due to drop in fluid. I have this problem now using the larger (higher capacity) hydro boost reservoir.

2) Extend the filler neck using fuel line. Just cut off the cam lock top in the middle of the straight part and add a length of hose with clamps on both ends. Then fill to the new level. May or may not need a bracket or something to stabilize the top.

3) Switch to remote reservoir off a van or some trucks (especially diesels, though mine did not have it). Then you can buy a larger capacity reservoir with cooling fins, or fab your own. The reservoir can then be mounted high and there is no problem with drain back from any components. This is what I plan to do very soon (along with the higher flow mod).

11. Boss

That's b/c you got a tiny cooler.
    I put a 15K gvw tranny cooler on mine and boy was that a Beotch to bleed. I use to run a really small PS cooler from Perm-a-cool, but it wasn't enough to keep the box from cookin' when I'm getting it...
    Boss

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey, it's not that small. The picture may make it look small, but it is 18" long! It's a Perma-cool rail trans cooler rated @ 11K GVW.

13. BadDog

IIRC, you, like me, are using a stacked plate cooler. Much harder to bleed than a tube/fin. Shouldn't be too bad though if you put the return line on top with input on bottom. Or even with both on top...

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I can see how the stack plate design coolers would be hard, if not impossible to bleed. That is one reason why I didn't run that style. That and I already have two 28K gvw B&M stack plate coolers that take up all the space in front of my radiator.
    The rail cooler was rated with a decent gvw for the size and it fit perfectly in the ever shrinking space under my hood.

15. Boss

I'm actually running the tubed fin style for my PS. My trans runs the 24gvw B & M stacked plate.

16. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

JUST WANTED TO THANK MATT ONE MORE TIME.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're running the factory serpentine belt system, check out a power steering pump from an '87 Corevette. It doesn't have an integral resevoir, instead it has a remote resevoir bottle. You could make a custom bottle in any size that you want. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Other years of 'vette may have the same setup, but I know about the '87 since I have one of those engines in my K5. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

18. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

What did you spend on that? I have been considering that mod, but haven't needed to do it with the 36" TSLs.... but I think once these 36" die, I'm going up to 39.5" or 42"! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif So then the hydro assist would be sweet!

On the cooler front, I used to have an auto tranny which made me buy a 4 core rad. with the integral tranny cooler. I've heard folks talk about using that as a power steering cooler before, but would that work? It would prolly be very easy to bleed with just a little patience. And would do a very good job cooling! Thoughts?

Sounds like a good deal to me!

-Dan