Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Cure For Highway Drift? Who has the instructions...???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Apr 8, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I Didn't do the lift on my '84 Blazer--

It's Aa Rancho 4" lift (that is equall to some other brands of 2 1/2" lifts belieive it or not!!!)

I have the steering arm that I found in the rear pocket on the back of the passengers seat.

I find that when I'm riding down the road(on pavement) the cars in the other lane swerve WAYYYYY over to the left to avoid me. HEY?!! I'm thinkin my tires ain't all that big and the TSLs don't throw alot of grist do they? I thought it was a possible loose lugnuts or two--but they are fine..

I figured it has to do with the steering correction--IT MUST I make MICRO movements in the steering wheel but the translation to the steering arms seems to be more than SLIGHT...the Truck wanders a little-- I've almost gotten used to it-- watching the oncoming cars and trucks swerve way over to avoid me.. I asked several of my friends to drive on at me as I drive by-- and they don't do it.
    Maybe I'm just paranoiid or not used to the gratuitous "move over" by other oncomming vehicles.

I think I need the instrucxtions though on how to installl this steering arm.
    SO? Does anyone have them? Any help here would be appreciative-- and maybe my steering IS THE PROBLEM--

High way speeds are no problem--but local acces roads(I sometimes have to tell my wife that "I SWEAR I DIDN'T DRINK!" "It's the Tires!"

She'll believe me?

Show me the money!--Rancho instructions for steering arm R/R.

-DeeVee8

You tried your best and you've failed miserabley.The lesson is never try- Homer Simpson

2. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

The drift might be a from a numberc of things. 1. Drag link. Have a partner turn the steering wheel while your checking the movement of the drag link. The front one joint seems to fail me in about 18 months or so. I purchased moog links about 7-8 years ago with a life time warranty. Never had a problem replacing them. 2. Cracked frame near the steering gear box. A careful inspection will confirm this or not. Several companies sell frame retro reinforcement kits for just this problem. 3. Alinement problems. Common with lifts in the 4" and higher range and larger tires. The trade off here is tire wear verse handling. 4. Steering gear box. Easy to check when checking drag link assembly. 5. Might be the road! The rear track on blazers is about 4" narrower than the front track. The 18 wheelers leave ruts on the road over time. The front axel tracks evenly down these ruts, unfortunatly the rear tires ride on the ridge left between the dual wheels. This causes the rear to wander all over the place. (I've got a o sh*t story along this line I'll post one of these days...)Do you notice this drifting on new roads, concret road or dirt roads?

This is not every answer. Just my experiences to date.

Good luck on this.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

To me it sounds like a worn steering box or steering components. The steering arm shouldn't make that much difference if everything else is in good working order. The most that should do is correct your turning radius from left to right. (If enough lift and not corrected, then you'll be able to turn tighter in one direction)
    Check to make sure everything is tight. One more thing, I unfortunately can't remember where I read it, perhaps 4wheel&OffRoad, but supposedly having either your caster or camber set at the maximum limits according to factory will help your rig track straighter. Hope I helped,

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Please check the steering box area for frame cracks. AZBLAZER had that wandering problem, that was his issue. A 75 I had a few years back had that problem, didn't catch it in time, spent $2K getting the frame section in that area replaced. Check it NOW.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

You never said what size your tires are... I have TSL SX 35x15.50s and the truck was almost uncontrollable on the hiway. Even with the steering arm. All that is really going to do is correct your geometry so that you can have full turn in both directions. You probably noticed that your radius was really decreased in one direction but not the other? The arm will correct that. The problem with the tires (mine at least) was the fact that I went from radials to bias plies. I called the local tire shop and they told me that there is a different toe-in measurement for bias tires. I dont know the exact measurements but all I do when I switch from my winter 33" radials to the mud tires is crank that long drag link about one turn (if you have the center adjustment sleeve) to toe the wheels in a bit. Take it for a drive, and take your tools with you cause I find it varies a bit with tire wear etc. from year to year and a cewrtain amount of trial and error is necessary. But that seems to straighten the steering right out. I also get a serious wobble at around 20 MPH if I forget to adjust them. The tires shimmy side to side and it feels like she is going to rip the front end right off. My whole front end is solid, but the toe-in seems to fix it right up.

Good Luck
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>