Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The cure for the dreaded D60 DW?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Dec 22, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Found this pic on the PBB.
    [image]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1009090[/image]
    Here's the link to the details: Kind of long, but very good and informative stuff.

Here is another link to the PBB site: D60 rear steer project.
    Read this and check out the details about the knuckles and the elimination of the plastic kingpin bushing (hint: uses a tapered roller bearing instead). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Aren't you banned from there?
    Unless you did some spoofing.
    -- Mike

3. thatK30guy

Yes, I'm banned as a member, but I'm browsing as a visitor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Holy Crap that was long, it took me almost an hour to read, I personally think that I could put my money somewhere better, but hey, pretty cool! I LOVE to over built crap, but that's insane!!!!!!

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well I read all 10 pages (WHEW!) but I can't say that I saw a solution to death wobble......? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I did see a "solution" to an excessively large bank account though!!!! That guy should have no such problems after building up that D60!

WOW

6. thatK30guy

I saw the solution to the DW in the plastic bushing eliminators...those steel thingies with the tapered roller bearings on them.
    Would also require a new machined steering arm/cap to run this setup. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I talked to "WB", the guy that built the upper bearing set up, and he said that his bearing design only works with his fab'd knuckles ($1500 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif). On top of that, the bearing set up does not have any provision for a seal so it is completely exposed on the bottom side. He said to keep pumping grease through it and keep it ot of mud and sand - read: competition only.

BTW - I ordered 2 of those cool gusset kits from him.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You know, I'd never considered that the entire upper nylon bushing is only really held in place by that spring cup assembly.

I suppose it IS a logical assumption that with a LOT more load on that spring from the heavier tires/wheels....the spring is going to be pushed out of position a lot more easily.

I'm not sure that I understand enough about WHY is was designed that way in the first place (as opposed to a tapered bearing) but I still wonder if it would make sense to try to "shim" that spring for more pressure....or if there is a spring from some other application that is similar in size, but with a much higher pressure (some kind of BIG valve spring?, etc)

Unrelated factiod: -> Timken bearings are made in my home town of Keene, NH. I think they used to be called something else when I was a kid, though.......
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif