Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The cursed truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 21, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a '78 3/4 ton 4x4. Originally all it needed was a tranny, and it was a good deal for $800 I thought, with a rebuilt 350, new exhaust, and mostly rust free body (just one dent). Well, almost two years later...I've changed out the tranny once, the T-case twice, then I swapped out the axles and put 3.73's under it (two reasons I did that was the brakes were shot, and the 4.10's were a bit low for 27" tires). Turns out, the rear brakes in the axle I just put under it are shot...the ignition switch broke, you cant tell it has new exhaust cause the doughnut gaskets are shot and leaking, the motor is gutless, needs a tune-up, carb needs a rebuild, windshield is cracked, carpet is ripped, and now the tabs expired. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I got rid of this truck twice. The first trade, I would have lost money on if the guy kept it...but, he is handicapped and couldnt have a "problem truck", so I took it back and told him I would find him another truck; so instead of losing some money, I know lost a bunch more. So fixed a few things, and traded it for a '91 Ford Taurus Wagon with 61,000 original miles, plus he was going to give me $1200 in payments. It seemed too good to be true. It was. Then more problems arose on the truck and I took the truck back and gave the car back. Now I owe the guy $200 back for the 1st pmt he made to me.

I dont even want to work on this truck anymore...but now I'm into it like almost $3000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and I could maybe sell it for the $800 I initially paid. Should I just take a loss and get rid of this cursed thing for whatever I can (maybe I can get $1500 when the snow flys, although bad brakes are not a good feature); or should I just take the time and fix everything that needs to be fixed, and try to at least break even or cut my loss? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

If you had this curse (and also owed a friend $2700 in a week), what would you do? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(the $2700 was money I borrowed to pay off the truck I gave to the first guy as a replacement; I paid $3500 for the truck, but I did keep the big lift and 44" tires).

Here is a picture of The Cursed Truck.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Fix the main problems and sell it. Everything you have listed is cheap and easy to fix. I can't see that you'd have $50 in parts into it to fix the ignition, exhaust, and brakes. Do those little things and then see if you can $1500-$2000 out of it.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Put theft insurence on it and park it in a bad nieghborhood !!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. mountainexplorer

I think if someone stole it, they'd be bringing it back the next day.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Not if I stole it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I can fix all this stuff, and I would end up with a 3/4 ton truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you were a little closer I would consider either helping you fix it or buy it.
    Anything can be fixed, and there is no cursed truck, only cursed people /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Well I would say fix the brakes, and you should be able to sell it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mountainexplorer

Well, I know that I "can" fix the things on it...I'm just so busy, and I just have no desire to do anything more on that particular truck. Right now it's at a friend's shop. I just traded him some parts to replace the ignition and fix the column, and to tear into the brakes. The seals are shot, so now it needs new seals and shoes. And I dont want to or have any more money to sink into this thing.

It's just depressing and annoying.