Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The "Dakar" ralley has started again.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    The "Dakar" ralley has started again. 2 die so far.

I don't know if many of you watch the race but I do and it just started back up for 2005 yesterday.
    This year the americans are there and Robbie Gordon is running a car in the race.
    Day 1 in Spain, Robbie took the lead over everyone. Wooo Hooo!
    1st time ever an american has won a stage in it's entire history.
    I wish they had a small truck class but it's still fun to watch.
    It's on OLN every week just so you know.
    "Come On America!" :waytogo:
    Here is there web site http://www.dakar.com/ or
    http://www.dakarrally.co.uk/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, I was watching it last night on OLN :D

3. Storm Trooper

Wow, what a race. I can hardly belive that two bikers have died :(

The one of them that I really don't belive is Fabrizio Meoni! That dude kicked butt and has won it twice so far. They said he was looking at his map when he bit it. Too much blood to do anything. I very sad day.
    I wish they had a small truck class. Maybe there would be more Americans running it.
    If you have never seen the race, I think your missing out. Awesome stuff.
    I'm taking the Trooper down to the Baja 1000 this year if there's anyway possible. Eat Dirt and help out :cool1:

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I just heard about Meoni's passing. It is a sad day indeed. He was a legend and will be missed by all. Godspeed, Fabrizio

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can run almost anything in the Dakar as long as it passes scrutineering. There has been a few Pro Trucks running over the last few years but they don't do that well. Usually due to mechanical problems like torque converters and transmissions going out.
    The bolas did really well this year, a Land Rover based special built my a small company here in England.
    The bike deaths were tragic indeed. There has always been death on the Dakar. Bikes crashing, cars rolling at 120mph plus, trucks (as in 8 ton stuff) rolling or as happened a couple of years ago, driving over land mines(they go through some really war torn country).
    There are often kidnappings and car jacking incidents, not to mention the local population that have gotten injured or killed along with their livestock.
    It's a tough tough race. I love watching it and look forward to every New Years day for the start but I can't help thinking it's going to change pretty soon. Some do-gooder will say it's not worth the price of life.
    I ride enduros and race on the track, I know it's dangerous but I choose to do it 'cause I love it but there is always someone behind an official desk somewhere who thinks they know better and think they should protect you from yourself.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

People never understand that everytime you make the decision to get behind the wheel of a race vehicle(or bars) you are making the decision to risk your life. On varying degrees of course but you still are.

A race like that couldn't happen here in America. If the Baja had a death every year some bleeding hearts would have it shut down in a day. Especially if the death were animal and not human(though I'm sure quite a few jackrabbits and the like have bit the dust on the Baja.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I do feel for the locals when they lose livestock. It may only be a pet dog but when you live in a country like that, your government spending every penny it borrows from abroad on a no hope civil war, just a dog can mean the world to you (as they do to us...but we can go out and have a few beers and bs about the good times we had with the dog before some guy ran it over!).

It'll all end one day or be made so tame that no one will bother to compete or watch. If people lose interest, then so do the sponsors and that would kill it off real quick.

8. Storm Trooper

Yep, some people just suck. Please! let us live our lives the way WE want to.

As for the livestock, Dooh! I forgot to hook them up as the cars passed at 100mph. Really. give me a break. I hope the world is smarter then some americans.
    "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk".
    Nothing like some good road kill for dinner. J/K :)