Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Dana 60 Definitive Guide to alignment specs...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I started this post cause all I could find were bits and pieces of information out there on what the alignment specs should be with a D60.

Here's what I've found so far, but I'd like anyone to chime in and correct this and/or add to it.

Caster = 4-8 degrees positive

Toe = 1/4" Toe In

Does anybody have anything to add or correct with this? Thanks...

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Are you sure you didn't mean caster=4-8?
    Camber shouldn't be more than a degree or 2, but Caster should be in that range, less will make it wander, and more will make it shake.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When we talk about toe-in and stuff does the tire size matter much or is that 1/4" a certain distance from the king pin centers?

Rene

4. Waxer

When talking about toe in/out, this is what that means...

[​IMG]

I've read on previous posts where the general consensus was the optimum setting is 1/4" TOE IN. Looking at that image, you can figure out what that means.

5. Waxer

Yes, Caster... thanks for the clear up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Waxer

Although I haven't measured it yet, I can visually see that there is substantial TOE OUT on my D60. I still have the stock tie rod it came with and I didn't mess with its settings.

I would guesstimate it at having a good 1/2 or 3/4" of TOE OUT. Once we get some good replies on here about what the setting should be, I'm going to adjust mine myself.

When I did the crossover on the D44, installed a RockRod at the same time, I set the Toe at 1/4" Toe In.
    It drove pretty damned good with that setting. Although I did nothing to check for Camber or Caster.

7. tRustyK5

I guess I wasn't clear. Imagine setting the toe-in to 1/4" with 31's on the truck. Now bolt up some 42's...then measure your toe-in. It'd be substantially more than 1/4". Is that 1/4" setting a ballpark? Should larger tires be toed in more?

The tire size can vary a lot, and saying 1/4" toed in without providing a generic datum is nearly useless IMHO.

I guess my question is this. Should larger tires (heavier, wider, more rolling resistance, and more leverage on steering parts) be toed in more than 1/4"?

When I had my 36's on the truck I had it toed in 3/16" and it tracked pretty good...very little wandering. My D60 with 39.5's is toed in 3/16" and I don't think it's enough. Both measurements were taken at the tread face of the tire.

Rene

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The tire size can vary a lot, and saying 1/4" toed in without providing a generic datum is nearly useless IMHO.

WHAT ??

9. Waxer

I gotcha Rene, yeah I'm not sure myself hence this post. The 1/4" that I stated was used with 33's and it seemed pretty good. I still have those 33's so I'm going to run with 1/4" again and see how it goes.

10. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

I understood what Rene was saying, I do agree that the toe in is not helpful unless we have a specified point to measure from and more information on what larger tires require. Could the measurement be from the front edge of the rim/wheel? Then just let the tire, whatever size it is ride where it is. I.E. larger tires with more toe in and smaller tires with less.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

IE, at what distance from the centerline of the spindle is the magical 1/4-inch measured? The tread of a 28 inch tire would only be 14 inches from that centerline, while the tread of a 44 inch tire would be 22 inches from that centerline. Measure the toe in at the tread of both tires, without making any change to the tie rod, and the toe in would appear to be a higher value for the 44 inch tire. (That's what Rene was trying to say...) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I understood what Rene was saying, I do agree that the toe in is not helpful unless we have a specified point to measure from and more information on what larger tires require. Could the measurement be from the front edge of the rim/wheel? Then just let the tire, whatever size it is ride where it is. I.E. larger tires with more toe in and smaller tires with less.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant...maybe some people that run the larger tires on the street could post up how much toe-in they run and where it is measured. I'm thinking that 1/4-5/16" toed in at the tread face of my 39.5's would be closer to ideal than the 3/16" I have right now. I just don't want to go too far and scrub the tires any more than necessary...

Rene

13. Waxer

Yeah thats a good idea.

I was kinda hoping there were some ASE certified mechanics here that do alignments daily to let us know where the standard measurement is. It might be the backside of the rim. I know on smaller passenger cars they mark the center of the tire all the way around and go from there. I'm sure since its all computerized they prolly just enter in the tire size and the computer does the rest.

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yes it is the centerline of the tire, but for a K5
    as it left the factory. Put larger tires on and
    ect. you will need to redo the geometree.

15. Waxer

geometree? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. tRustyK5

Geometree...a large ungainly looking tree with branches at all sorts of weird angles. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant...maybe some people that run the larger tires on the street could post up how much toe-in they run and where it is measured. I'm thinking that 1/4-5/16" toed in at the tread face of my 39.5's would be closer to ideal than the 3/16" I have right now. I just don't want to go too far and scrub the tires any more than necessary...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I guess there is no ASE certified people here since I didn't see any response to this yet.
    The correct way to measure toe in is by angle not distance.
    Different makes need different toe in measurments, usually depends on how much the drag will push the tires out when driving it.
    a long tie rod would stretch more than a short stubby one on a sports car, plus the bigger the tire the harder the pull.
    On the blazer with stock tires the recommended angle is 1-2 degrees on each side, the bigger the tires the closer to 2 you need.
    I can do the math and convert that to measurment for each size tire but I am sure you can do the same.
    1/4" is in the ballpark for up to 33".

18. Waxer

Gotcha...

So for something in the realm of 38.5's, it'd be better off going to 3/8 or possibly 1/2" toe in?

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Geometree...a large ungainly looking tree with branches at all sorts of weird angles. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it..... geometry!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, i know how you set toe in toe out, but how do you set castor camber on a D60?
    this is a much needed post and i am glad somebody brought it up as i am finishing a rebuild on my D60 now.
    grant