Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Dark Side.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I recently came upon the rig in the pic below and have been debating taking it and adding some chev to it(solid axle). It is a really clean 86 from Alberta and the price is right. Anything to watch out for with these besides the problem having a blue oval around it. It will just be a daily driver with 33's. But I will put a solid axle in it because Ford front ends are a POS IMO. /---\ \---/

[​IMG]

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know of any specific problems to watch out for but I will say this. I had two friends who owned a Bronco and an f150 of the same vintage as the one in your picture and they were excellent trucks. Both had the 300 I6 and manual transmissions. They were tough, capable off-road and easy to work on.
    Good luck with yours.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

You'll probably have to watch out for all the stuff your K5 buddies are going to throw at you!! :whistle:

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Nothing too specific to watch for on those trucks, they have their quirks but it's just like any other vehicle. I'd probably keep the TTB, it's actually a pretty nice ride and the parts don't wear out THAT quickly. If you're going to do a solid axle swap, find an earlier style front end that has Fords radius arms already attatched. Hopefully you've got the inline-6 engine as it's the most durable and a standard transmission always helps keep things simple and a live.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Just use a Ford solid axle up front if you must do an SAS. That way you don't have to fool around with changing transfer cases, etc.
    My dad has a '96 F150 4x4 with the 4.9L (300ci) fuel injected L6, and that engine is just great. Good low end and gets 23 mpg @ 55 mph.

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:haha: Ya I will be wearing a helmet when they are arround. Well it has a 302, automatic :( . It is clean inside and out but I never liked the front end. It is like Ford made a mistake making a solid axle and the axle cracked off. If I decide to pick it up, I will have to put a solid axle in it just because. Might make a decent Grocery getter. Also the woman can drive this one then and the K5 is totally off limits to her then.