Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The darndest thing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4by4bygod, Mar 18, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Nov 13, 2003
    Hi all!

My 87 developed a weird braking problem a few days ago. .. just about when it came to a halt, there was a dull thud coming from underneath, and the brake pedal would "push back", which was an odd feeling... never had that happen before.

So, I pull the drivers side rear wheel off, take off the drum, and what do ya know, the self adjustor mechanism and the spring were off the shoes and rolling around in there. That would account for the noises I was hearing too.

Luckily, I had another adjustor in the parts box so I just cleaned everything off and put it back together.. now it stops fine.

I'd love to know how it fell off to begin with. Anyone else ever have parts disassemble themselves for no good reason?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Sep 9, 2001
    i had that happen, but it was one of the retaining pins in there. The ones that hold the shoes back, and you can see the head of on the outside of the backing plate. At slow speeds would hear a bad rattling sound, and one time hit the brakes heard an ungodly scratching sound. Also noticed it was pullin like crazy. $6 at autozone(of course they only had a pack of 4, springs, retainers, in stock), and good to go.