Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The day has finally come....well alomst

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jun 18, 2006.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

so after a lot of searching around and saving a dollar here and a dollar there. i finally was able to pick up a 14bltff..was going to get one from a member on here, but at the last minute was offered one here in town for a lot less...(sorry...but i have to save every dollar i can)...

anyways i got the axle home friday about 4:30pm. jacked up the blazer and removed the 12blt..pushed the 14bltff under and bolted everything up by 6pm. put the rear wheels on, set the truck on the ground, crawlled under to hook up the rear drive shaft..and it was a no go :(...

My drive shaft is now to long...funny thing is, i never thought about this when i was planning everything out. and don't ever recall anyone ever mentionting haveing to shorten their d-shafts when doing the swap..

has anyone else ran into this? My set up is: sm465/208/14bltff...any sugestions? or do i just have to let it sit untill i get the money to have the shaft shortened..?

also another thing i noticed is that the blazer used to squat when sitting on the 12blt and now its level if not a tad taller in the rear with the new axle..still running the same suspension, same tires, and the 14blt is all orginal..no mods done to it..

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the perches might be some taller on the 14 and thje pinion sticks forward a bit more possibly though a little more lift or some zero rates at it????

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had to shorten mine by a couple inches when i changed out my 10b for a 14b.

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Dad gum it!! all this time i spent waiting..lol
    oh well maybe i'll get the funds saved up and get to drive it in a month or so.

but it sure looks good :D

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You may have a different yoke on the 14 bolt as well.