Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the days of nice paint and a straight body are long gone

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BOWTIE, Aug 10, 2003.

1. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i little more rock rash from a run i went to last night.. this happened as i rested the truck on some rock which pretty much saved it from a layover. i continued to drive it back on its tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

good part is the duct taped light managed to stay on this time.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ouch.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Doors and fenders are bad enough, but you can replace them. The box side is a whole 'nother story...

You gonna pull a 'Marv' and remove the box side outers?/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifthe good part being you didnt roll /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, i smacked my driver door and fender last year, i had to replace the door for it to shut but the replacment fender is still in the back yard /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My buddy and I just put some new (massively carved) fenders on my truck yesterday.

I overheard him muttering "There ain't a straight part of this truck...nothing lines up with anything."

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

What can I say...my truck has been beaten like a red headed step child all it's life.

The bedsides aren't perfect, but they're not that bad so far. A couple of small tree dents...and the tail lights are still held in by the correct hardware. My time will come I'm sure.

Rene

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

not too sure on what i'm gonna do. my buds say it adds character, my wife says this rockcrawling stuff is destroying the truck, and i'm talking about cutting off the back half off and tubing it out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the wife don't like that idea.

i guess for know it'll stay as is until it gets so ugly my wife won't care what i do to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep been there done that . My driverside looks about the same.

I have been thinking of cutting the fenders off like Marv and Michael. Then get some fiberglass skins and Dzus them to the truck. WHen I go wheeling I can leave the fenders at home. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not too sure on what i'm gonna do. my buds say it adds character, my wife says this rockcrawling stuff is destroying the truck, and i'm talking about cutting off the back half off and tubing it out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the wife don't like that idea.

i guess for know it'll stay as is until it gets so ugly my wife won't care what i do to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I say fix it /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.Replace the bed side(for the wife) while your in the prosess of dovetailing it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. That way you have nice bed sides and hard as hell to dent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Oh and it would ad mucho character(for your bud) .

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm talking about cutting off the back half off and tubing it out

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess Im lucky, my wife took the news that as soon as a 1st gen found and made reliable got put in the driveway the 89 will be losing a whole lota sheet metal to be replaced by tube /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

might be a good idea.. i was looking at pictures of marv and dblazer's rigs to get some ideas.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

At least we can tell that you are wheeling your rig hard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif well atleast you were having fun when you did it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Think of it this way, it beats the crap out of watching it rust away or getting hit on the street.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...or fix your tail light probs like this;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats how it started with me.The harder the trails the more rash until sheetmetal became a henderance.Then goodbye sheetmetal hello tubing. [​IMG]
    I enjoy wheelin without the worry of denting my rig.I can go alot more places now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    might be a good idea.. i was looking at pictures of marv and dblazer's rigs to get some ideas.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mkparker.com/goose/ Some pictures of the fiberglass route and sources to get them at.

What I'm thinking of doing for the time beaing is getting a straight 1/4 off this t74 BigJbear me and a buddy are going to part. Cut off the old fender. Put a rub rail off the roll cage through the inner fender. That will give me something to lean on. when not on the trail stick the straing fender over the open hole.

16. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

ken, thanks for the pic. now it'll be extremely hard for me not to tube the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif that's what i really want to do. i just need to keep a back seat for my little one at the same time. shouldn't be too hard.

grim- thanks for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif my brother brought up that same idea, using a rub bar, but have it sticking out of the actual fender. if my body was straight i would do it, but it's a little too late. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I hear ya. NOT one straight panel left on my rig. Who cares, it's rusted to Hell anyway.....plus it's a whole lotta fun watching the reactions when it get damaged!
    [​IMG]

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i know what you mean. i gave up trying to keep my truck dent free the other day on a trip..was on a tight trail..my truck slid down the hill into a tree and i had to drive scraping on it. put a huge dent on my pass. door and my mirror....my friend got out and said holy [I love Jeeps] look at ur door..and i was just like ehh..oh well..so much for that lol. but everyone else was making a big deal out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

hey i like that.. this is what i was going to do for my lights,
    [​IMG]

but not sure i'm going that route afterall.. i'll prolly do something like what you did..

20. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hey, your tail light looks just like mine. Duct tape an all...