Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Death Penalty - Debate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 27, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Convince me why it's good or bad.

I had believed it was right before. But I'm having my doubts that it's a good thing right now. No politics changing my mind, just questioning my own assertion.

I believe a man gives up his right to live when he takes away another persons life, or seriously damages it.
    But, I'm beginning to wonder if the system will always be right.
    I've been reading about some seriously botched up court cases, and I gotta wonder if our system is reliable enough to revoke a man's life.
    I've also been trying to be more forgiving. Well, mostly about meaningless stuff, like not getting annoyed at the guy that almost knocks me over while he's running for the train.
    But, is it possible for a murderer to realize what they did and be sorry? Is it possible to forgive if you feel like the capital criminal that wronged you is genuinely sorry for the crime they committed?
    Obviously, it would be very hard, if not impossible, to forgive someone who murdered someone you love.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI feel the same way Ratch, unfortunately, I still choose the death sentance...Our legal system has worked without fail everytime I have depended on it.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't buy into the "what if the system is wrong" arguement, mainly because...

a) guys are on death row for a decade before they get executed, if one of 100 appeals can't get you off, you prolly need a different lawyer. lol!

b) the same thing could be said for EVERY government-imposed penalty. Why should i pay that speeding ticket, the cop/radar guy could possibly be wrong so no one should ever have to pay! Mistakes are always a possibility, thats what appeals are for.

anyway, some crimes are so heinous that no life-term in prison with 3 hots and a cot, a gym, excersize yard, a mag subscription and TV are going to be justice in my eyes. I mean, you rape/kill 20 women and you basically get free room/board/food/healthcare for life? That doesn't jive with me. Seems like you're almost asking a violent homeless guy to go on a crime spree and if a few people get killed, oh well, the guy was homeless and hungry anyway.. now he'll be sheltered and fed for life. IMO, these kinds of individuals (violent criminals, not homeless people) don't deserve to be supported like that.

there are other reasons I support the death penalty... but thats whats on top of my head right now...

j

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I think that our death penalty system is not used enough, and not used correctly. I am tired of our tax dollars going to prisons to keep misfits on death row for 10 years where they earn 3 college degrees, watch TV all day, and live better than the "lower class" workers in our society. I think we should save ALOT of money and prison space... Our courtrooms should have Rhino Lined floors and a drain...when someone is sentenced to death the judge should give them 3 minutes to say goodbye, then he should shoot them on the spot. Costs 1.50 for the bullet... done. Hose the floor off when they are done. Let my tax dollars go to health insurance, helping the homeless, the elderly, and other innocent misfortunate americans... I am tired of the government wasting my money.

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Just in brief Ratch, if a convicted killer truly repents and is sorrowful for his crime God forgives him. But that does not release him from paying the penalty our criminal justice system via a jury may impose upon him. If the sentence is death, then get the last meal ready. BTW, our civil laws are based on English Common law, which are lifted from the Bible.

Oops, think I just tossed a grenade into the room. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that our death penalty system is not used enough, and not used correctly. I am tired of our tax dollars going to prisons to keep misfits on death row for 10 years where they earn 3 college degrees, watch TV all day, and live better than the "lower class" workers in our society. I think we should save ALOT of money and prison space... Our courtrooms should have Rhino Lined floors and a drain...when someone is sentenced to death the judge should give them 3 minutes to say goodbye, then he should shoot them on the spot. Costs 1.50 for the bullet... done. Hose the floor off when they are done. Let my tax dollars go to health insurance, helping the homeless, the elderly, and other innocent misfortunate americans... I am tired of the government wasting my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I can beat that price on shells if they are interested.

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

A life sentence just means that the tax payers are having to pay for his/her room and board. On one hand, I think being put to death is the easy way out and that a life sentence would be a much worse punishment, but on the other hand, our prisons are overcrowded and it costs a ton of money to house such a huge criminal population.

Nowadays with all of the advances in technology (DNA, fiber, bullistics evidence, etc.), the judicial system has a greater chance of presenting conclusive physical evidence of a person's guilt or innocence.

I think if they can prove the person's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, then, yes, they should be put to death /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With the prison over population problem, it isn't a lifer problem, it's more of problem of way too many people in for petty crimes. Like so guy getting busted with a little dope. I'm not talking about the big time dealer, but the little end user guy doing a 5 or 10 year prison sentence when 6 months to a year in county jail would have been just as effective.

9. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

If the law says the death penalty should be involked, then that is what should happen.

Channge the law or enforce it.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

10. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With the prison over population problem, it isn't a lifer problem, it's more of problem of way too many people in for petty crimes. Like so guy getting busted with a little dope. I'm not talking about the big time dealer, but the little end user guy doing a 5 or 10 year prison sentence when 6 months to a year in county jail would have been just as effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree with that, but housing death row inmates for 10 - 20 years until their million appeals run out ain't helpin' either and I would imagine it costs more to house someone on death row than in other areas of the prison. I don't know that for a fact, just guessin'.

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I used to strongly believe in the death penalty. That was until I heard that it cost more to put someone to death then to keep them alive. Never have had a chance to check the validity of that statement.

That made me start to question the death penalty.

I think the problem is that the prisons are too easy. I like what that sheriff in Maricopa(sp?) County is doing.

As far as prisoner rights, they gave those rights up when they committed the crime.

I'm with Z3PR about the reason for overcrowding. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to legalizing marijuana, with very strict guidelines. Just for the record; I've never smoked it, nor do I have a desire to. But that is a little of topic.

So I would have to say right now I'm not really a big fan of the death penalty, but I'm not convinced it should be completely eliminated.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    until I heard that it cost more to put someone to death then to keep them alive. Never have had a chance to check the validity of that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall hearing that before too. The extra expense was attributed to multiple appeals and all the costs associated with them. Can't remember where it was that I heard it, though.

My feeling? If you were tried & convicted, and received a death sentence, you get THREE appeals, with the full support of the state. DNA, ballistics, all the other CSI-type stuff. If you can't prove, on three separate occasions, to three separate juries, that you really ain't the guilty one, you die. Expeditiously. Oh, you want to petition the Governor for a pardon? Here's a typewriter and a single sheet of paper; you have 30 minutes to compose the letter and type it up. If the Governor doesn't respond within 72 hours of delivery of the letter, you better start praying for absolution.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If there's no question of guilt, have them shot in the back of the head the day they're judged

Death penalty for Meaningless Murder and Violent Rape

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Death penalty for Meaningless Murder and Violent Rape and child molesters

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree with that, but housing death row inmates for 10 - 20 years until their million appeals run out ain't helpin' either and I would imagine it costs more to house someone on death row than in other areas of the prison. I don't know that for a fact, just guessin'.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree, there should be a set time for all appeal too be completed. Something realistic like 3 years. Once that time is up, fire up the chair.

16. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    exactly, what mre do I need to say

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well...... in the general sense, sure why not, there can be special cases but in the large part, bullet in the head

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ok. I'm still for it, I just worry about the system. I totally forgot about the endless appeals process. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

19. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Send 'em all on down here to Texas,,,We got the lethal needle sharpened up and Pancuronium Bromide and Potassium Chloride on tap!!! We lead the USA in "snuffin 'em out"
    TEXAS RULES YEEHAW!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

its easy as eye for an eye tooth for a tooth. You kill someone u need to be killed