Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Definitive Wax Discussion

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 31, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Let's break this down and fine out what the best of the best is.

I've used Turtle Wax (green paste in the can) and the Meguiar's Canauba Wax. Seems to me that the Turtle Wax was a harder compound and lasted longer, while the Meguiar's is softer and doesn't last, yet maybe looks a little better.

I've seen the commmercials for the Turtle Wax deep gloss. Anyone tried that?

I'm looking for the best wax for the new Crown Vic that I will soon be bringing home. I work in a nasty environment. Lots of time out in the dirt, wind. After a week of no wash, the front bumper is completely covered in deceased insects. Can be a real pain to scrub everything off.

I want a wax that will last, I want a wax that will make my car the best looking of the fleet (I know white doesn't shine as good as darker colors) and I want a wax that will make it easier to wash all that crap off my car every week.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had good luck with NuFinish. Years ago I used Rain Dance, but it doesn't seem to hold up well for me any more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe they changed the formula??? The folks that make RainX for windshields make a wax now. If it works anything like their windshield treatment then bugs should wash off of it VERY easily. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

as a long time body guy, i've played with alot of wax products. also all the gel and paint work i do on boats put waxes to the test. boat gel is a very good test of wax...

i generally like any of the pure carnuba cream waxes, McGuires and Mothers particularly. 3M used to make a killer green carnuba wax in a little black jug, but my distributor stopped carrying it, or they stopped making it.. i've never been big on paste waxes.

i've found the key with any is to do it a couple times over the course of a week or so to get some build. also, initial wet application with a foam pad on a wheel will help due to the heat generated. hand remove haze.

oh, and a little bodyshop trick for when you get wax streaks or swirls (prevelent on darker colors) is to damp towel/dry towel it when done waxing. takes em right out. cloth baby diapers or clean T-shirts work well for haze removal and damp towel/dry towel...

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i know a thing or two about this subject. Give me some time to compile my thoughts, i will reply in a bit.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I will preface this link with this....

I am meticulous about how my cars/trucks look. I dont mind getting them dirty, but want them clean and shiny 99% of the time. So after much trial and tribulation, I now use these products.

I do not work for this company or sell these products, I should as much as I use. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Best shine ever.

The best product you can buy. Period

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Some general thoughts on waxing new or close to new vehicles:

We use "auto - magic" commercial grade yellow carnuba paste wax. I like paste wax because I can control where it goes. Liquid waxes are a pain because they run everywhere and you use too much.

Ultra - expensive waxes that have multiple steps like zaino brothers are a waste of time and money.. I get equal results from the cheaper paste wax applied in about an hour.

In areas that see a lot of industrial fallout, apply at least every three months, using a clay bar during the wash process. clay bars and bug remover do a great job of getting the nose clean.

folks living in non indistrial areas can get by with applying every 5 to 6 months.

When buying a new car, Don't let the dealership con you into letting them "detail" it before you pick it up. New cars don't need to be machine polished/buffed. period. If you keep it waxed, it won't ever need to be buffed. period.

When applying wax by hand to a new or relatively new vehicle, don't apply wax in circles. Apply in a straight line, going in the same direction as wind might go over and around the vehicle . do the side and back windows too, and don't forget the door jambs.

Use one light coat of wax. using too much trying to "build up" the wax is counterproductive because the paint will only absorb a finite amount of wax, and you remove 90% of the wax after it hazes anyway. If you want more wax, wait three months, or your just wasting time and product. think of wax as being like a skin moistureizer,rather than a barrier, and you'll have an idea of the proper role of wax. wax can't be built up, regardless of what the man selling wax tells you.

Applying wax in circles leaves circular scratches over time. Swirl marks and starbusts are just proof you're using too much product, and it's drying faster than you can work with it.

Tom

8. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Thats not really a wax, its a polymer sealant. You can layer it up so it looks like your car is layered in plastic, but it makes your car look "dead" or "sterile" or lack depth. It also have to be removed with solevents, or a cutting wheel. It also collects dust like mad. you can add a non solevent based wax on top of it to add depth. Then why use Zanio. Not on mine or anyones car.

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Im still trying to find the motivation to give you a thoughtful response with out going into great length of maintaining the exterior of a car, there are simpley to many variables. But ill let you in on the ending, it ends with this Collinite.

I use about 2 case of the 885 fleet wax a year and 845 electric insulator wax, and a few cases of thier other stuff. One can will last the average person about 10 car waxes. I have tried just about everything on the market, over the counter and commercial. And I keep going back to Collinite. Tom above hit some good info.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I use this stuff . Its awesome, I use it on all my vehicles. I've found it outlasts Mcguiers, turtle wax, Zymol, and a few others easily. I've never used Zaino, but I know Zaino's phenominal. However, I've also heard that its a dust magnet.

The stuff I use is acutally not a wax, and they use some wacky bonding technology , a long with teflon. Their thought is that adding a slippery material on top of your car, will prevent scratches and dirt from acutally adhereing to your paint. I use this on my k5, take it offroad, and there are only a few minor scratches, and thats from when I didnt use the stuff!

Funny thing is, there's enough for about 10 applications- and it comes with two applicators!

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Spray your bumper with Pam it works for race cars /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Spray your bumper with Pam it works for race cars /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used them ALL...
    I like the Meguiars 26 Carnuba wax...
    it's easier to work with compared to other Carnuba waxes..
    It really lasts...up to 6 months..or more...
    depending on the amount of wax that is applied...

I spray many motorcycle gas tanks...
    I recommend 26 to my customers...
    because it gives the paint some protection against gas...

[​IMG]

14. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

for a really GREAT shine put some armor-all on the applicator before applying the wax.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. bga

bga Registered Member

I've used nothing but Zymol for the last several years, and I will never go back.

I love the stuff!

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I wonder how this would work on my flat back fenders on the 75 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

or at least the few inches of fender I have /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif