Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the draft

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 26, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok haven't seen this touched on but maybe I'm blind. I'm 18, I'm registered, and I have a question, why? I know Iraw could be going better and all, but why do we some politicians feel we need the draft back? I didn't realize we had lost that many troops. I am not saying I wouldn't defend this country, but I'm sorry I am not just oging to go sign up and do my duty. I know this board and that alone is probably going to start something but try and remember I'm talking about the draft.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, the draft will never happen in todays society, it would be political suicide. No political party would want to be responsible for the after effects of enlisting young people.

Is it possible that politicians feel if they bring up the subject of the draft they will make more young people think about enlisting and performing there duties? It seems more and more politicians are talking about how we do not have enough people in uniform anymore. Maybe this is planting the seed for increasing the numbers of our enlisted in the near future?

It has made me think more about joining the guard.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I know very little about the subject, but I like that registering for selective service is mandatory, selective/manditory GWAHAHAHAHA

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

First, it doesn't matter to me, I already put my Herbie Hancock on the dotted line! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Second, I agree that it will be a cold day in hell before the draft is back.

[ QUOTE ]
    but I'm sorry I am not just oging to go sign up and do my duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have to sign up for the draft in case they ever start it up again, which they were talking about this weekend from what I heard on the radio this morning.

I don't see it ever happening but you never know.

I personally think it'd be a good thing for this country if some of these hippie punks got some disipline. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First, it doesn't matter to me, I already put my Herbie Hancock on the dotted line! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Second, I agree that it will be a cold day in hell before the draft is back.

[ QUOTE ]
    but I'm sorry I am not just oging to go sign up and do my duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ] at the moment, cause they would want me to go fight in some middle eastern place for causes I feel are total nonsense and I am not ready to give up my life for that. Some may say I'd be fighting and dying for my country but I'm sorry I'd be doing it for George Bush and no one else.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

As a dual-citizen who filled out my Selective Service form at the US embassy on my 18th birthday, I guess I can have my say.

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally think it'd be a good thing for this country if some of these hippie punks got some disipline

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree with Tim on this one. If every 18 year old was obligated to spend a year in the Forces, I'm willing to bet you'd see a lot less attitude out on the street. All the snot-nosed gangsta boys would soon learn that they're not as tough as they think they are, and at the very least they would benefit from losing their "cushy" lifestyles for a while.

Half of the problems our countries youths cause can be attributed to a lack of respect and self-discipline. Getting up at 5:00 in the morning and being forced to work hard would knock a lot of the pride out of them and make them realize how good they really have it.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

There was big talk back in the early 90's i think it was when suddam hit kuwait.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The ones I would like to REALLY see in the army is the punk kids we have so much now. The kids who dye their hair, cover their schoolbags in patches and pins, outwardly express political views to people who don't care, and they never do anything about it like actually demonstrating or contacting congressmen or anything, they just say it to kids like me who simply tell them to shut their traps or I will shut for them. They are all scrawny kids whos parents have given them the world and they seem to have decided what their parents gave them isn't good enough.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

We are fighting a war on terrorism, we went to Afganistan first (and we still have men fighting/dying for our freedom there) and Iraq next. Because of this show of strength Lybia has opened up to weapons inspections and has agreed to destroy all illegal weapons, Iran and North Korea have opened up some BUT dont think that when we pull out of Iraq that it will be the end of it. There will still be more work to do and you may have to step up to the plate and help eventually, it all depends on how the enemy reacts. If more countries follow Lybia's lead then it can end somewhat peacefully, if they follow Iraqs lead the USA/you may have a long road ahead.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We are fighting a war on terrorism, we went to Afganistan first (and we still have men fighting/dying for our freedom there) and Iraq next. Because of this show of strength Lybia has opened up to weapons inspections and has agreed to destroy all illegal weapons, Iran and North Korea have opened up some BUT dont think that when we pull out of Iraq that it will be the end of it. There will still be more work to do and you may have to step up to the plate and help eventually, it all depends on how the enemy reacts. If more countries follow Lybia's lead then it can end somewhat peacefully, if they follow Iraqs lead the USA/you may have a long road ahead.

[/ QUOTE ] Once in a while I think of it form another countries viewpoint. Say America wasn't the power it is, and some country, lets say Canada(yes I know, they are big is my point) said, alright you see what we did in Iraq? now you gonna let us inspect all of your private security stuff or what? Something seem off about that or is it just me?

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's ok, my yankee friend, I'll be out there dodging bullets for ya, while you get to kick back, work on your K5, head on down to LA to see the little woman, whatever you want to do with your freedom... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Once in a while I think of it form another countries viewpoint. Say America wasn't the power it is, and some country, lets say Canada(yes I know, they are big is my point) said, alright you see what we did in Iraq? now you gonna let us inspect all of your private security stuff or what? Something seem off about that or is it just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

What choice would we have in that scenario? We would give up or be defeated. Since thats not the case and has nothing to do with what is actually happening lets get back to reality.......Lybia is not a peace loving country. They fund terrorists, train terrorists and harbor terrorists. Terrorists that have killed many innocent Americans. Yes, we should throw our weight around like never before to save American lives and it works too. Remember Ronald Reagan? Remember the USSR? Do you know how the USSR fell? We threw our weight around, once we began developing SDI (aka Star Wars) which would shoot down Soviet incontinental nuclear missles in outer space they didnt have a chance. We didnt need to downsize our missles any more since we would have the capacity to shoot theirs down. The Soviets were bankrupt from years of Communism and couldnt compete any longer. We defeated the USSR by BEING STRONGER THAN OUR ENEMY. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Im a bit neutral on the draft. I would gladly go fight for America, but I do NOT want to fight for some little [darn] country I dont care about. That is the one and only reason I havent gone into the armed forces. Im more of a Militia man myself /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think the draft is actually coming back. You have to register because you have to.
    Registering for the draft helps bean counters, too. You don't have to register to vote, so you can't really rely on getting a decent count of 18+ males in the country by that, city peeps don't always get drivers licenses, so you can't tell by that, either.

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Speakin' of Yankees.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm just giving ya $hit! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's ok, my yankee friend, I'll be out there dodging bullets for ya, while you get to kick back, work on your K5, head on down to LA to see the little woman, whatever you want to do with your freedom... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Thank you, VERY much. I have the utmost respect for you and anyone else who chooses to do that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think the draft is actually coming back. You have to register because you have to.
    Registering for the draft helps bean counters, too. You don't have to register to vote, so you can't really rely on getting a decent count of 18+ males in the country by that, city peeps don't always get drivers licenses, so you can't tell by that, either.

[/ QUOTE ] Should be required to register to vote. I am and will till I can't anymore.

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I registered ...And I'm a fawkin hippy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif[darn] you rednecks... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif