Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The dually go Bye Bye.....

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

and got replaced with a 2004 Dodge SRW short box 2wd cummins 6 speed crew cab. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

here is a picture of the truck.
    [​IMG]

i also test drove a crossfire, didnt like it to much, a turbo PT cruiser, and a turbo neon. the neon and the PT i liked and both do 120+. i was just killing time waiting for the truck to get delivered.

i love it so far. it has a trailer rating of 16,400lbs and when the turbo spools up all the way the thing MOVES!

the cummins is rated at 600 ftlbs at 1400 ish rpm and 325 hp at like 2200ish rpm.

it looks identical to the one in the picture.
    Grant

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I love mine. Nothing quite like the turbo spooling up and putting you back into your seat. Did you get the good tow mirrors, or the dinky ones that they show in the picture?

I think you will like it. I know I will have mine for a long, long time.

3. Seventy4Blazer

the one i test drove first had the nice towing mirrors. the spedo also didnt work. they ended up getting the same truck for me but it didnt have the towing mirrors with it. they are going to upgrade them for me for free to compensate. so far i love it and i cant wait untill the computer adjusts as needed to get the MPG up. i have been told that with the 6 speed and 4.10 rear the trucks are averaging about 24 miles per gallon on the highway and 18ish in the city. that true to your rig so far?
    Grant

4. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

Good Choice. I got a 1/2 ton crew cab Hemi and it tows pretty decent for a gas guzzler. Next time around Im going for a Cummins though. I also looked at a 1 ton dually crew cab with the cummins when I got my truck but I got sticker shock badly after seeing the price. Good luck with it and I hope you have better luck with the factory cd player than I do (Im on my 3rd one now /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hey, maybe you can keep up with me on the grades now... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Well, maybe if I'm towing and your empty... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

just wait till i get back from iraq... then i will have all the toys you have...
    whats the stock HP and TQ ratings on a Dmax in the 04 models? anyone know?
    Grant

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

the chevy's with the allison's are rated at 590 lbs-ft @ 1600 RPM, and 310 HP @ 3000. The 6 speed versions are detuned a bit at 520 lbs-ft @ 1600, and 300 HP @ 3000. My dad just ordered an '05, some it will be interesting to take out and drive, I still havent driven one with the LLY engine, which is the redesigned engine with a variable vane turbo and redesigned injection system. But I know the old LB7's haul ass with exhaust and a good intake system.

8. BadDog

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Sorry Grant, just had to rag on ya a bit.

Your gonna love that truck. Only down side (and it's small) is that it take a bit more money to turn up the Cummins due to needing to replace hard parts rather than just a computer box. However, if the Dodge boys follow their previous path, it will be possible to turn it up well beyond the DMax (current) max. But the common rail on the new stuff is going to be a new thing for the Cummins bomb squad. Much more tricky than the older setups...

Good luck and take care. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

What hard parts would those be? I think you are thinking of the older engines with the P7100 and VP44 pumps.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What hard parts would those be? I think you are thinking of the older engines with the P7100 and VP44 pumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

By hard parts he means mechanical rather than just a box you plug in.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Uh, I know what he meant by hard parts, I asked what hard parts is he talking about. Injectors, something with the common rail pump, turbo, etc?

12. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

~hijack~ Dude! I like the Avatar! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BadDog

As far as I know, the Cummins guys are still talking injectors, turbos, etc. to "bomb" the new 600s. But admittedly, I don't know much about them other than what I hear on the GM (Duramax) boards which should obviously be taken with a grain of salt.

But one of the tuner guys did say they were getting some really good results from "chips", but were having major EGT issues trying to make serious power without huge pipes and turbo upgrades... As I recall, to get into the same territory (and survive) as the DMax with the latest high end boxes, the 600 requires 5" pipe, larger turbo (and supporting changes), along with a chip. The DMax gets there with only 4" pipes and a chip plus holds that level of power over a much wider rpm range. This is a composite view that I formed based on all the things I have seen here and there, no idea how accurate it is. The new 600s are just too new for anyone to be really sure what's possible.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Uh, I know what he meant by hard parts, I asked what hard parts is he talking about. Injectors, something with the common rail pump, turbo, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I couldn't resist.
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I have the 4X4/auto combo. I get a steady 18 mpg out of my 2500. I have about 5K on the clock, though I have yet to hook any kind of weight up to it. From what I have heard from damn near everyone, is if you want to get the mileage up, you have to start using it. wait for the 500 mile break in period before you tow, then hook up and rape that ape. Otherwise it will be about 20K before you get that motor broken in.

I have yet, and do not plan to ever bomb, this truck out. I am planning on joining hte million mile club with this bad boy. The only mods I have planned are gauges. I just got the tranny temp gauge installed. I went and bought the the SRT-10 a-pillar since it comes from the factory with a single gauge pod built in. probably in the spring I will add pyro, EGT, and fuel pressure. Autometer makes a nice little 3 pod unit that fits in the cuby hole there under the radio.

The only thing I can see that is going to affect your mileage is the 4.10 gears. For a lot of good info about the truck and what not go to www.turboedieselregister.com

There is a lot of good info there. If you have any questions let me know. I am not an autority on my truck, but I have done a lot reading, and on my first oil change I spent about 1.5 hours with the mechanic asking questions and going over the truck since I plan on doing my own service.

I would have rather bought a D-max/Alison combo, but since GM doesn't wrap it in a Suburban package, I decided to save some money and get my Dodge /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. Seventy4Blazer

good news on the mirrors, i read the factory info list on the truck and it is supposed to have the towing mirrors. so im going to make them install them. i paid for them anyway, but since the vin will say its supposed to have them thne i want the correct ones for free.

thanks for the info on mileage and stuff. i have 230 miles on it right now. i love it, but like you said the 4.10's hurt a little bit. im going to look into gear vendors for it once i get back from iraq, but i think exhaust will help with it a bit as well. im not gonna go for number more than 500hp and 800ish ftlbs.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

but we will see. i want stacks on it as well but since i want an in bed tool box and the 5th wheel/gooseneck i might not be able to get stacks. i think stacks ROCK!

thanks for the link. im gonna check it out now.
    Grant

17. Seventy4Blazer

ohhh, they have a twin turbo kit in testing for my truck... 2700 dollars maybe.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    grant

18. BadDog

And you just THOUGHT 4x4s were expensive... Just wait till you start "upgrading" a late diesel. I'm dreaming now of a $3k+ trans upgrade so I can even turn up the last two levels on my "box"... I should be able to swing that by around 2010 or so... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif And to get that stick to live with 800 ft/lbs, (IIRC) your gonna need a different flywheel, clutch, plate, and some upgrades to the OD gear shaft... Couple of grand right there.

19. BadDog

20. Seventy4Blazer

its only money. that just means a bit of time. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    thats a nice truck in the video.
    Grant