Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the dummest thing about my tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Apr 24, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

ok here it is. first of all you have to know that my tranny would not go in to gear for the life of me, so anyway. today my uncle stopped by to look at my tranny, and he didn't see anything wrong as far as leaks(i have a huge puddle of tranny fluid on the floor in my garage and no clue as to where it came from), pumping, and shifting. well we loosened one of the coolant lines a little and started the truck to see if it was pumping. it was. so then i mentioned that i dropped the pan once and maybe a little air got in the tranny. so then we proceeded to bleed it, and after a little while it kicked right in to gear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Problem solved! Feels good, eh?

3. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

????--bleeding the tranny.....could you please elaborate for the unedumacated???? Nothing came up in the search

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've never heard about bleeding a tranny... please explain

5. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

it is kinda like brakes, you know how if there is any air in the brake lines they won't work very good. well same thing with the tranny. the only thing is i have to find out if it is holding tranny fluid.

6. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I think we were expecting an explanation of the steps you performed....

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The problem with that is that trannies have vents so the pressure never builds up enough to rupture the seals, thus it has air in the system and no way to rid the system competely of air(which doesn't matter anyway). Whereas a brake system must have zero air in it...I'm confused...

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

bleeding a tranny /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What kinda tampons do you use for a bleeding th 350 as compared to say a 400, or 700R4... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*Fumes desperatly looking for the"I'm serious smiley"and not finding it...* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

careful of that toxic shock syndrome.

11. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The problem with that is that trannies have vents so the pressure never builds up enough to rupture the seals, thus it has air in the system and no way to rid the system competely of air(which doesn't matter anyway). Whereas a brake system must have zero air in it...I'm confused...

[/ QUOTE ]

ok if trannies have vents then why did i have to get the air out of it in order for it to work. i even put in 2 qts. and it still didn't kick in. but then when my uncle loosened on of the cooling lines and had me start the truck to get it flowing and get the air out. after he tightened them back up i shifted it into gear and it jumped right in. so if the is never any air in the tranny then why did bleeding it help???????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I think this might a random coincidence.....Trannies normally have air in them....I don't know why bleeding would help. The only time I've heard of something similar to 'bleeding' a tranny is flushing it completely to replace all the liquid if it needs replacing. Air shouldn't matter. I think you just got lucky.

13. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

how did i get lucky

14. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

lucky in that it just happened to fix itself.....maybe the process of bleeding changed something, but getting the air out wasn't it. I don't really know what could have been wrong or fixed it.....but bleeding the air out isn't it.

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok if trannies have vents then why did i have to get the air out of it in order for it to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    IF? All trannys have vents /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have no idea why it starting working after you disconnected the cooler lines, but I know that disconnecting the cooler lines until there is a steady flow of ATF does not remove all air from the tranny...

16. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Probably had a piece of trash stuck in a valve and it either dislogded itself or maybe your uncle beat the helloutofit with a hammer while you were out of earshot. Most likely trash b/c mine got hung up and went from no problem to no shift in two days.

Bleedin or not your good to go. And that is impotent.
    Tom
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

misspell. Impotant.