Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Fall Guy truck: not exactly a K5 but...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fwr, Feb 21, 2001.

1. fwr

fwr Registered Member

I didn't know where else to look for info. I remember when I was a kid reading an article about the truck in the Fall Guy show, how it was modified so that it could handle a few jumps without breaking. Anyone know where I could find out about this? Thanks in advance

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You'll probably find that what they did and what really needs to happen to run hard are 2 different things. It may have been like the Duke's, many many cars used up.

If you want to fly, truss the axles, use good bumpstops, keep it mild and don't do it much. A friend has video of a couple of guys launching K5's near fort collins and it was really ugly for the trucks. bent housings, torn up bodies (tires too big to bottom out), bent frames, etc.
    If you really want to pound it do some research on the stock classes in desert racing to see what it takes to do it right. I'd say minimum is a cage mounted to the frame to stiffen the chassis, good seats and belts, and a soft suspension with good damping.

It would be cool to find out about the fall guy truck. I only got to see it a few times, we didn't have TV so we had to go to the neighbors house. At least they're still showing the Dukes now!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

That was one sweet truck... any know where some pics are online?

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. dewey

dewey Registered Member

It would also be nice to know how they modified the "secret compartments" on that truck..The doors that led into the bed...remember.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The Fall Guy truck was a 1980 GMC 3/4 ton, used for jumps. If one has a close eye, the scene, non-jump truck was actually a 1981 GMC. Anyways, after bending lots of 10 bolt fronts, they decided to relocate the engine&trans mid-engine, the carb was actually between the seats!! It was no longer a 4x4 with a transfer case at that point, but it was much safer to jump as the weight was distributed more evenly; as prior to that it would always nose dive in. Guess it pays to be 40, and 20 when the show was on!!

ken

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Wow, I thought I was the only one thinking that lately. That was a SWEEEEEET truck!!!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you watched the opening credits closely, you could see the front axle break as the truck landed from an insanely high jump. The shot would cut away just as the front tires started to lean WAY in at the top... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

hey guys i found a picture, let me see if i can get it to work now
    [​IMG]

9. xtc

xtc Newbie

Man that is so weird. I was actually talking about this truck to a co worker today and how I really loved that truck aswell as the bed draw. Did they really offer that in those trucks or was that a modified option...

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Lets see....

[​IMG]

Hmm...I couldn't see it just a minute ago, but now I can [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BlazerGuy on 02/22/01 03:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

http://themes.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$233

The theme song found it and downloaded it...ahh yes memories sweet memories!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

12. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

somewhere in my archives I have either an Off road or 4wheel &off road magazine with a feature on the jump truck with pics and specs, will take a few days to find it though...I don't throw anything away...that show was great...the blond too....will post them when i find it....ED

13. fwr

fwr Registered Member

Fasteddy, that's what I was thinking of; that would be great if you found it. And Stephen, thanks for the advice, but I wasn't planning on launching my own Blazer, especially since it has a camper on it. Unless, of course, jumping your truck gets you Heather Locklear, then maybe I'll reconsider.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ahh yes.... I wondered how long it would take us to get to Heather... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

15. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I use to jump my old truck -- '88 Full Size Jimmy 4x4 w/350 TBI.

My brother and uncle both had dirtbikes, so I would follow them through the track in my Jimmy.

The whole trick is to idle up to the ramp, then put the pedal to the floor just as the front tires start going up the ramp. I learned this the hard way the 1st time I jumped it. I hit the ramp at about 20-25 and nose dived into the ground [​IMG]

After I figured out the idle/gas thing, every landing was nice and smooth right on the rear tires. Granted, I never got the thing more then 6 or so feet in the air, but it was fun none-the-less. [​IMG]

http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I skyed my truck coming out of a mud hole once, my buddy was watching and said I had 4 feet under the tires [​IMG]! I came down fairly flat and I didn't even realize I had gotten some air time because I was getting bounced around so much anyways.
    I did break my transfer case adaptor though[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

17. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That was Heather Thomas in "The Fall Guy", not Heather Locklear. Common mistake, but all hot blondes named Heather are not interchangeable!

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I still have my metal Fall Guy lunch box (along with my Dukes one) from when I was 5. It's definately beat up but I like it. :-) I take it with me to work and I always get comments about how everyone remembers that show and how cool the truck was!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

19. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Haha! I was always partial towards my Knight Rider Lunch box.... I loved that show.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

20. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the A-Team lunchbox.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad