Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The finished/Mounted roof rack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Dec 18, 2004.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My first welding project 1/2 square tube bent with a pipe bender ans BFH in my carport. MIG welded at every seam. 3/4 square tube bottom support. Fits flush on the roof down the midde (4 rails) Truck did not have a factory roof rack so I mounted it through the roof and roof supports with 6 grade 8's (and plastic shims), rubber and fused washers and a ton of silicone 2. Walked on it and it feels very solid. Gonna mount the spares (two full size - H2 wheels are cheap) antennas (cb&phone) and gas/water cans today. :xmas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Looks pretty good.
    Did you weld on some mounting tabs for the spare tires and water cans or are you going to use tie down straps?

3. cbbr

Working on it now - using the mount from inside the truck with a plate and welding the nut to it. That way I can move them around if I need to.

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

good job :waytogo:

5. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

looks good. i wish i would have made mine bigger. i hope you dont to alot of trail riding and stuff with low branches. mine gets hung up on everything. good lookin rack though. how much does it weigh?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very nice, biggest roof rack I've ever seen.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Nice job!:cool1:

8. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

?

How much does it weigh? Can you post some pics of the mounts you fabbed? I want one of these for my SUB! Looks Great:waytogo:

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

Now you need to mount some light.

10. cbbr

Thanks for the complements - In answer to the questions -I took out the headliner and drilled through the roof supports in the back. The middle rails sit flush with the roof, so it is bolted flush with some of the "camper strip" used between camper shells and truck beds in between.

The front "mounts" are bolts through the roof supports and then through plastic shims I got from the "specialty bin" at Lowes. I just ground the shims down to fit. They sit on rubber washers toped with regular washers.

Nothing techincal, but it feels very solid and was a lot cheaper and easier than the alternatives. Cost about $15 for the hardware and $125 for the steel/wire/primer/spray paint. God (and my wife if you asked) only knows how many hours, but it was my first welding/fabrication project so I took my time.

The roof supports sit flush with the underside of the roof and I used large washers there also. Because the rack sits flush, the load is spread over the whole roof. The rack weighs about 65lbs.

As far as trees - it will be interesting but the trips that I have planned right now are to AZ and the beach.

Light is on the way as soon as $$$ permits.

11. bradym

bradym Newbie

That's the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen. You should have had a friend help you with it ;-)

12. cbbr

I would if I had any helpful friends that weren't jeep guys.:whistle: Glad to see that you got registered. T is registered as BURBicon.

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Looks very nice. That's about the size of a rack I would rather have. Let us Know how the mounts to the flat part of the roof stand up to a load.

14. cbbr

If the roof can hold the load, the rack mounts should do fine. With all of the room in the Burb and my M105 I will probably never load the rack down like some guys. Just a great place for spares and junk.

15. BURBicon

BURBicon Registered Member

ROOF RACK???? You mean "tree catcher"!! (good 1)

That may very well be the biggest roof rack that I've ever seen too. I thought mine was big. It comes down to, if your rack is too small, you'll wish it was bigger, but if its GIANT, you can throw your buddy's jeep on top when it breaks down.

16. BURBicon

BURBicon Registered Member

p.s. tree cather

Your little white truck don't look so little any more. I remember when mine looked like that, but that was a lotta hard mile ago.

17. cbbr

Watered it and left it in the sun. It grew.

The tree catcher comment is only funny if you are not my neighbor with the low limbs that are being torn out of the tree. Looks like I build a duck blind on the roof everytime I back out of the driveway, but the Burb is winning so far.