Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Geneva convention

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 29, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm reading through it. Much of it looks pretty stupid to me. Some of it makes absolutely no sense for a war.

Interestingly, though, it looks as if it were written by a country that would go to war to protect itself. Much of it makes plenty of sense to the way we (Americans) seem to conduct oursleves at war (well, as reported, and aside from abu gahraib).

It has some things that make a lot of sense, too, but what boggles me is how much of it is so un-enforcible.

So I was wondering, what y'all thought about it, especially from some of you military guys. What are your thought son the Geneva Convention? What's your experience with it and how have you been trained to respect it?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Ratch - What the 'ell you doin' askin' such deep questions so dang late?? (late for me anyway - I'm old - remember?) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'll sleep on it and maybe comment tomorrow. Later man!

Mike

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    One of those moods...

I heard Seal's "Love's Divine" on the radio on my way home, and it changed my mood for the night I think... A little weird he is, but that guy is one talented musician, and I don't believe in talent! But that particular song is one of those rare ones that can actually modify your mood.

So anyway, sorry... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The way I look at it is, nobody else will follow it, but it is our duty to do so because if we don't, we're animals just like them.

There is no such thing as humane war and that's what it looks to create. It would be great if we could kill each other and then if captured become friends but the honest to God truth is that I don't think there is even one recorded instance of something like that happening.

As a civilized nation we have a duty to do the right thing though.

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    then if captured become friends but the honest to God truth is that I don't think there is even one recorded instance of something like that happening

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you watch the History Channel, you would know that this happened fairly often in WWII...mostly with German POW's...some in England and some in the US...there is an old POW camp near me and according to what I read the one time I was there for a short time, a fair number of the
    German POW's interred there never went home and stayed in the area....I don't know about US pow's staying in Germany or Japan etc....

In Viet Nam, we had the Chu Hoi (chew hoy) program....if yer shootin' at a guy and he says "chu hoi", then ya feed him, pay him for his weapons, retrain him, make him a Scout, send him out on missions with US forces, show him how we work all our stuff....that way when the Sh!t hits...he can flip sides and do it all over again. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I totally agree to the post above this one LOL. There were times were we befriended the enemy and they stayed on the other side. And the perfect example is Vietnam, there were US troops that stayed in Nam cause they got captured and then met a MAMASON and stayed there. But the Geneva convention is good and bad but it has really more to do with the Rules of engagements (ROE's) Ex: if you see someone approach with RPG's, Ak47's, and an entire Division of troops dont fire until fired upon WTF!?!?! Yes it is a little sarcastic but examples like that suck.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno... Im still trying to figure out why shooting a man in the gut with a .223 ball round that will leave him laying in no mans land bleeding to death for 2 days and nights is "humane" while shooting him with a 50 cal BMG and killing him instantly isn't...

j

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dunno... Im still trying to figure out why shooting a man in the gut with a .223 ball round that will leave him laying in no mans land bleeding to death for 2 days and nights is "humane" while shooting him with a 50 cal BMG and killing him instantly isn't...

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the Geneva Convention was written by politicians and bureaucrats. So it makes perfect sense. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Oh, BTW: The only time people get shot with a 50BMG is when they get in the line-of-fire between the gun and the equipment that was actually targeted... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only time people get shot with a 50BMG is when they get in the line-of-fire between the gun and the equipment that was actually targeted...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a uniform considered military equipment?

"I was aiming for his name tag, sir." /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

50BMG + trigger squeeze = big, freakin hole in somebody.
    peace through superior firepower, the only thing these diaperheads, oh, I mean, a, insurgents, will understand is the business end of a gun!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the way I always looked at it... the guy is covered in gov-issue equipment from what I can see. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif fire at will. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

j

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

"I was aiming for his name tag, sir." /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"C'mon, sir... I know we can't shoot directly AT the enemy, so I decided to destroy his equipment, you know? His canteens, his magazine pouches, that sort of stuff. But his torso kinda got in the way when I shot at his rifle. I didn't MEAN to kill 'em..."

The standard joke among aerial gunners and crewchiefs in the 53E community was that we would aim at canteens. But since the Corps decided that sights weren't necessary on the XM218, we'd just have to "walk" the rounds on target. If we walked them through the body, oh well.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can still shoot a person with a .50 anyway I do believe, there are just range restrictions.

"I swear he was 1,000 yards away, it just looks like 50 feet from where you're sitting"

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

WTF???

After reading the replies, all I have to say is, where can I read this stuff at???

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can still shoot a person with a .50 anyway I do believe, there are just range restrictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know for certain exactly what the Convention has to say about it. I never looked it up. I DO know that we were told, as aerial gunners firing a 50-cal machine gun, that we were not permitted to target personnel, only equipment. This was always accompanied by heavy emphasis and eye-winking on the word "equipment". Hence, my previous comments about canteens and mag pouches...

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

17. jekbrown

AFAIK, the reason the M2 (or other newer versions of the mah-duce) isnt supposed to be used on grunts is because its a heavy caliber machine gun. The 50 cal round itself is useable, just not in a full-auto MG application. This is why we can use the Barret to snipe with and not get written up for "war crimes"...

IMO, considering the enemy we face, we should bring back the flame thrower and the 155mm bee-hive round from the 'nam. I especially like the 'thrower. I don't give a crap how fanatical you are, you get torched with a flame thrower and you're forkin' done. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

j

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The bradley's 25mm cannon can be used on troops at ranges of 1,000 meters or more I do believe, I'm sure the .50 can be used if at the proper range.