Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The George W. bush tapes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 22, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't really see why the media is calling this a bad thing, I have to admit, I am impressed with Bush after hearing/reading some of them.

Because he's a politician, I've factored politician "Face" or BS into my opinion of him. I've liked him, but wouldn't be surprised if I found out he had some dirty secret, or that his whole spirtuality was BS to reel in the christian voters, etc.

But wow, seeing how he speaks in a "trusted" conversation, how true he is to the public figure he displays, I admit, I'm impressed. I know he's a man of conviction, and really seems to go with Right over Polls, but this really reaffirms it to me. He spoke like a guy who actually believes in what he's saying when he's on stage, and he genuinely wanted to better things, not just achieve the office and notch his belt for the milestone.

I'm impressed, I like the way Bush doesn't play politics. And while it might not necessarily have been "right" of the guy who did the taping, I think he's going the right way saying he's going to give the tapes to Bush rather than sell them.

The "Bush Tapes" controversy isn't what I came to expect from the news snippits and front pages I saw before actually looking into it. It seems like the media is trying hard to make this an example of how horrible Bush is, but reality doesn't support it.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Would these be the tapes that I was listening to some goofball on XM America Left last night blabber about?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Probably, it's been the big gossip story for a couple days I think...

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

where did you find them?

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Was he singing rapper's delight in the shower?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I didn't find any transcripts or actual audio, just excerpts in various news pieces I scoured up this am.

No, I do not believe there is any shower singing on the tapes...

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What gets to me is Clinton can cheat on his wife while in office, and the left down plays it, but if GW farts, they make a big stink out of it.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Here's a bunch of links to different parts. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bush+tapes+transcript&btnG=Google+Search Bottom line is, they are all making a big stink about him "admitting" on the tape that he smoked grass. Big effing deal. It was the 70's, everybody smoked weed. He also says he doesn't want to discuss because esssentially he wouldn't want to influence any young people by glorifying it. Good for him. Not everything is a publicity opportunity.

I agree with you, it just reinforces what kind of person I already believed him to be; a regular Joe.

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I don't think its really any secret he used to do some pretty bad stuff. I admire the changes he has made in his life and the man he has become.

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Stuff like that happens on both sides of the plate.... Hell, look how the right blew the whole Clinton "I didn't inhale" thing out of proportion.... But it's fine that our current present used to be a coke head and alcoholic.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think Bush is intelligent enough to play politics, and that's probably why he can't and doesn't.

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Personally I don't care who tried what , when . Many of us tried "something" , and live good decent lives as of the present :)

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good point brother. I've done some stooopid sh*t that I don't care to be reminded of.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That's not the issue. The issue is integrity.

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That wasn't my point. I was goign more for the fact that both sides downplay the severity of their sides representative... It always happens.... And vice versus with the opposite side blowing everything out of proportion for things done by the opposing team....

:thumb:

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I see your point.
    But the differences between GW abstaining from the question and Clinton making excuses for it are what impress me about Bush.
    Clinton either lies, or had one of those really hard to believe experiences.
    Bush doesn't excuse it or lie about, he avoids it. And he doesn't avoid it to hide it, he avoids it because, he says, "I don't want some kid to be able to say 'The president did it, so why can't I?'". Clinton danced because he didn't want to look bad, Bush doesn't appear to give a hoot how he looks, he gives a hoot and recognizes how he'll be an influence/role model.

So:
    Well that was obviously a lie. Either Clinton expected everyone to be really stupid and believe him, or he was being facetious. I doubt he was being facetious, it just doesn't fit his character...

Nothing has ever surfaced that shows him being a cokehead. Just rumors and things NOT said. I think it mostly came from that book by the celebrity biographer that fabricates and fiction-alizes stuff in all her books.
    Regardless, he acknowledged that he's had a shady past, and if he were not clearly out of it, I wouldn't have the respect I have for him today. Same thing with Clinton, I don't really care if he smoked weed when he was in the era, but he lied/excused and tried to falsify it. He blew it by tossing the opportunity to say "I did some stupid things, but I'm sure glad I didn't do it long" or whatever.
    Bush on the other hand, doesn't want to dignify allegations and make unimportant things take priority over important things. In the private phone call, he addressed it and said he wanted to be part of creating a system that doesn't focus on that junk.

Like BRB said, it's an issue of integrity. :thumb: :thumb:

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That why I said that , both sides say something , media blows it all up , when its a waste of breath .

I wish both sides spent more time working on our countrys issues , we have many , and we need to fix them .

Most of us don't care what the president did or say behind closed doors . What we care about is health care , jobs , where to send our kids when we finally have some and they need schooling , gas prices , when are our friends and relatives are coming home from the middle east , important things :usaflag: