Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY of the EZ-locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rasberry, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about useing the ez-locker in my 12 bolt rear, and Dana 44 front. What are the ups and downs. This 71 Blazer 35's 3.73 gears is mostly an offroad vehicle.

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

The ups are that you'll save money over a detroit. The downs are that they suck.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

From my experences Lockrites are better. I have also seen a few posts on these and other boards about people not being happy with the ez lockers

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah they EZ blow. ANd then the parts get run through the ring and pinion and it easy blows the whole axle. Pass on it. Lockright is better.

5. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, so do you guys think the lockrite is a much better choice?

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i second the motion that the ez locker blows---get the lock right--you'll be much happier /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

EZ's have a design flaw. in their redesign after Lockright sued them. The two halves of the locker have locating pins. The EZ uses a bout a 3/16 pin and it about 1/16 off the edge of the locker. when they get over loaded the side of the locker blows out and ejects the pin and the retaining spring. EZ's come with a disclaimer of nothing over 32 inches in tires size.
    The lockright uses a larger pin and it's not as close to the edge where it can cause the side to blow out near as easy.
    EVERYBODY that I know that messed with an EZ has had them fail and fail within a couple months of the install. Hell Robzilla Blew one a mile from his house! He wasn't even on the trail, he was on the test drive after the install.
    Personnaly with the size tires your running I would not mess with a lunch box locker at all. I would step up to a Detroit that is going to be much stronger. Only a couple of hundred more for the parts.
    Problem is set up. Since your not going to have to mess with pinion depth just back lash it's not that bad to set up but I would recomend finding somebody that has done it before to help, if your not an above average wrench, or have any machinest back ground.
    Randy's R&P has pretty good prices and they included a good set of instructions on how to set up the diff. I had a buddy help me set mine up. He had done several and had the dial gage and other stuff needed. Once you have done one it's not as scarry and I wouldn't think twice about doing the next one myself.

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Can someone tell me how a lockrite works? Like when locked is it fully locked(like a ARB) or is it like a very limited limited slip, also is it Air? And I was ones told that a detroite(sp) were like a limited slip but you dont half to spin much and they made a nasty noise when they lock.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Someone has been telling you lies. A Detroit is totally different in design than a L/S. The biggest pratical differance is this: a D/L will not allow a tire to spin slower than the ring gear. A L/S is simmilar to an open diff, in that it lets the tire with more traction slow, then torque is transfered to the tire w/ less traction. They do make noise. The D/L is normally couppled (locked) to the shafts when any torque is applied, so there is no wheel spin needed for lock up. A Lock-Rite is not like an ARB. It is closer in opperation to a D/L. You just don't need a new case. I would trust a Lock-Rite w/ 35s, but not an EZ. An ARB is a full spool when engaged & and open when not. It will not unlock untill it is disengaged.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Lockrites stay locked all the time when under power. The only time they disenguage is when going around a corner under light/no power. to allow for wheel differention.
    To save me a bunch of typing go here:
    powertrax.com/locker

I'm runing lockrites in my ten bolts with 33" tires and like them. They are holding up well.