Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD TRIP" is starting!!! YOU can be a PART of it !!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

\"THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD TRIP\" is starting!!! YOU can be a PART of it !!!

<font color="red">FINAL UPDATE: OK, I've got one foot out-the-door.....here's the last revision of the itinerary. For anyone along this route, you can call my cell at (408) 309-1716. No guarantees that I can hear it ringing while I'm driving, but I will check messages at each gas stop, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    </font>

OK, I don't have ALL the details ironed-out yet, but I wanted to post this up to let everyone know what I'm planning....

Starting this Sunday (4/27) I will be driving all the way across our /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif great American landscape /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif.....from San Jose, CA to Keene, NH !!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think it would be really fun to include everyone from CK5 who wants to be involved in it. I have posted the route below, and invite anyone who wants to say "Hi" along the way to take a look at it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am planning to take 4 days to complete the trip....that's a lot of heavy driving, but I'm trying to plan the stops so that there will be a good likelihood of meeting with you guys! If you know that you'll be close enough to the planned route to meet up with me, feel free to post up here....or in PMs.

It would be great to be able to snap a couple pics at each stop and have them post up on CK5 with a sort of <font color="blue"> "Where's Greg72 Now?" </font> type thread!! I think it would be a real blast to log-in at the end of the trip and see what transpired!!! ....

So without further delay, here's the current plan and route:

Sunday (4/27) - (794 miles)
    Depart San Jose, CA....
    Follow Hwy 80E all the way past Reno, NV
    <font color="red">(Thunder - Elko, NV) </font>
    Arrive in Clearfield, UT at around 6PM.
    (Dinner with Twiz!)

Monday (4/28) - (960 miles)
    Depart Clearfield, UT...
    Head South on I-15 to connect with I-70
    Arrive in Glenwood, CO around noon
    <font color="red"> (StormTrooper / Stephen W. - Glenwood Springs) </font>
    (Lunch with Dr. Watson /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)
    Depart Glenwood, CO and put the HAMMER DOWN!!!
    <font color="red"> (Shawn / Tim / Steve? - Denver, CO)</font>
    This is basically I-70E the whole way....
    <font color="red">(ChevyRacing - Arriba, CO) </font>
    A few hours later....
    <font color="red">(ThatK30Guy - Ellsworth, KS) </font>
    Arrive in Ellsworth.....dinner with Wes, and "surf the couch"!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tuesday (4/29) - (997 miles)
    Depart Ellsworth, KS....
    More driving on I-70E towards Columbia, MO
    (Should arrive around lunchtime....meet with Chris T.??)
    Continue on I-70 to Akron, OH...
    <font color="red">(JK5 - Ohio) </font>

(dinner?)
    Find a place to sleep for the night.

Wednesday (4/30) - (667 miles)
    Depart Columbus, OH
    Looks like I have 200 more miles on I-70
    Cross over across the tip of W. Virginia
    ...and into Pennsylvania (Hwy I-76E, I-83, I-81N, I-84E, I-380S, I-91)
    <font color="red">(Donna - Gettysburg, PA) </font> ....Sorry Wayne and Donna, I'm not going to be close enough to stop by! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    <font color="red">(Yunit - Pallisades, NJ) </font>
    <font color="red">(MudNurI - Bellows Falls, VT) </font>
    Follow I-91 to connect into NH via VT.
    Arrive "home" at around dinnertime! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So whattaya think? Anyone along the route want to join in the fun and do a little "meet-and-greet"??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The majority of the route is right along I-70 East....so if you're anywhere close to that interstate, it will be easy to stop and say hello.....

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: \"THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD TRIP\" is starting!!! YOU can be a PART of it !!!

<font color="green"> You can stop at my house and stretch your legs a bit if you want!/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll take a pic, captioned - "Greg72 10 minutes after leaving his house". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

3. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> You can stop at my house and stretch your legs a bit if you want!/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll take a pic, captioned - "Greg72 10 minutes after leaving his house". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

....and already headed the WRONG direction!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

Are you driving the truck...?! That'll deplete half of Alaska's oil reserves!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

At nearly 2 bucks a gallon, that's a lot of damn money, prolly more than a plane ticket!

5. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Re: \"THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD TRIP\" is starting!!! YOU can be a PART of it

Well, from SLC to denver it's faster to go I-80 thru wyoming, but then you'd miss Newcastle and all the great scenery! Although wymoing's nice too, depending on your tastes...

cheers,
    Kevin

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If you decide not to take 81 to 84 and take 81 to 80, you can make out by me in time for lunch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifand from what I checked out it is only a 4 mile difference. It's up to you.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Damn, if you were leaving a week later, we'd be able to hang out in Indy for a while, but I'm here in Bloomington for the last couple weeks of school. If ya wanna take a 30 mile detour south to Bloomington on Hwy 37, I've got some extra meal points I'm looking to spend /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i don't know if you've seen my threads about moving to NH. but in 2005 sometime i plan on moving to Dover, NH so my g/f (then wife) can go to cooking school. I too will be making a post asking people if they'd like to meet along the way, and "must see" points that may be along my path, but i'm taking the leasurely route and 5-7 hours of driving a day probably more, but were also sight seeing along the way because were in no hurry. so maybe by then you'll know all the local wheelin' spots, even though we'd be 100 miles anyway, hope all goes well, and look forward to seeing you in NH /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, stop here in Sunnyvale - I'll buy the beer LOL.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is this the permanent trip?

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Monday (4/28) -
    Depart Salt Lake City, UT...
    Arrive in New Castle, CO around noon
    (See if Dr. Watson will join me for lunch?)
    Depart New Castle, CO and put the HAMMER DOWN!!!
    Arrive in Topeka, KS (680 miles later)
    Find a place to sleep for the night

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, replied to your PM's. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm between New Castle and Topeka, so when you get here, dinner is on me! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm on your route /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'll pm'ya with some info...
    Along #76 in the Akron, Oh area..

There was massive construction on #76....
    but they are finishing-up...so there shouldn't be any delays around here.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Have a Safe trip!!!

13. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I don't have ALL the details ironed-out yet, but I wanted to post this up to let everyone know what I'm planning....

Starting this Sunday (4/27) I will be driving all the way across our /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif great American landscape /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif.....from San Jose, CA to Keene, NH !!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think it would be really fun to include everyone from CK5 who wants to be involved in it. I have posted the route below, and invite anyone who wants to say "Hi" along the way to take a look at it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am planning to take 4 days to complete the trip....that's a lot of heavy driving, but I'm trying to plan the stops so that there will be a good likelihood of meeting with you guys! If you know that you'll be close enough to the planned route to meet up with me, feel free to post up here....or in PMs.

It would be great to be able to snap a couple pics at each stop and have them post up on CK5 with a sort of <font color="blue"> "Where's Greg72 Now?" </font> type thread!! I think it would be a real blast to log-in at the end of the trip and see what transpired!!! ....

So without further delay, here's the current plan and route:

Sunday (4/27) -
    Depart San Jose, CA....
    Follow Hwy 80E all the way past Reno, NV
    Arrive in Salt Lake City, UT at around 5PM.
    (Would anyone like to meet for dinner?)
    Find a place to sleep in SLC.

Monday (4/28) -
    Depart Salt Lake City, UT...
    Arrive in New Castle, CO around noon
    (See if Dr. Watson will join me for lunch?)
    Depart New Castle, CO and put the HAMMER DOWN!!!
    Arrive in Topeka, KS (680 miles later)
    Find a place to sleep for the night

Tuesday (4/29) -
    Depart Topeka, KS....
    More driving on I-70E towards St. Louis, MO
    (Should arrive around lunchtime if anyones there!)
    Continue on I-70 to Indianapolis, IN...
    To eventually arrive in Columbus, OH
    (Meet CK5er's for dinner?)
    Find a place to sleep for the night.

Wednesday (4/30) -
    Depart Columbus, OH
    Looks like I have 200 more miles on I-70
    Cross over across the tip of W. Virginia
    ...and into Pennsylvania (Hwy I-76E, I-83, I-81N, I-84E, I-380S, I-91)
    Follow I-91 to connect into NH via VT.
    Arrive "home" at around dinnertime! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So whattaya think? Anyone along the route want to join in the fun and do a little "meet-and-greet"??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The majority of the route is right along I-70 East....so if you're anywhere close to that interstate, it will be easy to stop and say hello..

[/ QUOTE ]

Where will you be picking up I-81 in PA? I guess what I am trying to find out, is what town? We are sorta close to I-81. Let us know.

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Follow I-91 to connect into NH via VT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to guess your getting off at Exit 3 in Brattleboro and crossing Route 9 through Chesterfield?.......we could be the last part of your "where is greg now"........of course- you can always just come up to exit 5 and drop off all those cool tools you have in my garage- I'll keep them safe for you while you get settled..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Brandy

15. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Well if You were headed up I-5 to Seattle, and then made a right hand turn, and came to sleepy little Spokane, You could have Dinner, and a place for the night at My house. But You're plan's are made, and they don't include the "evergreen state" it is'nt called the evergreen state because of the tree's, it's all the damn taxe's [as in greenback's] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Greg72

Yunit, Donna, Brandy....

The final leg of the trip can change however we want. I just listed what the AAA travel planner spit-out on my printer!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you guys have slightly different ideas for the highways or whatever, just let me know. Actually, just PM me with a street addy, and zip and I can create a new map for that segment of the trip. Taking a 4-mile longer route isn't going to hurt anything....the trip is already around 3200 miles!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

And to answer someone else's question, NO this is not the "real" move....this is just a way to get the first of my vehicles there without paying a trucking company ($$$) I'm not working (real work anyway!) and I needed to go East to do some real estate and job search stuff..... so it just seemed like the right thing to do. Plus it will be FUN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I will be driving all the way across our great American landscape .....from San Jose, CA to Keene, NH !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You got bigger balls than I do to make a trip like that in only 4 days!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Something like Chevy Chase in "Vacation" then?

Dont' forget to put the dog inside the truck when You pull out of a "pit stop". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Greg, I'm right on your way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    Check this map - My House
    1st question, why do you want to stop in New Castle? Stephen is in Glenwood Springs area (next exit) and they have many more places to eat. You might want to jump in the giant hot springs pool for a while when you are there.
    After you leave Glenwood Springs, I'm about 2 hours east, about the time you will need to stop for gas before the big climb to the tunnel (11,500 ft. elev.)
    If you are running late and want to stay around here I can put you up for the night. My cabin is not too bad and has about 5,000 sq. ft to spread out in.
    If I where you, I'd plan my trip so I could stay with CK5 guys instead of hotels on the way. It would be much more fun and would save money too. Just a though......
    If you do stop by, I'll buy you lunch, dinner or a snack if you want to. Warning though, after stopping here you just might want to stay /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I will PM you my number so you have it.
    Dave

20. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

FYI Greg- regardless of what AAA or mapquest tells you- plan on 5-6 hours from Wilkes Barre, PA- to Exit 3 in Brattleboro. We left around noon time with the D/A heading to Florida on a Wednesday and got to Wilkes Barre at 6pm...that was without a trailer- and doin bout 75...

Depending on what time you leave that morning, traffic etc.. you may hit some series traffic in Waterbury, CT- just before you get on I-91....We spent almost 3 full hours STOPPED there on our way down to Paragon.

Also- WATCH your speed in Mass. not sure how long it's been since you've been up here, but the Mass Troopers don't put up with much...even lane changes without using your signal will get you pulled over...

When you get into Vermont- just past the new welcome center- watch for the green unmarked Crown Vic sitting up on a bank on the south bound breakdown lane side- he's clockin you and his buddy- is 1 "turn around" area away waiting to give you the ticket. 8 out of 10 times I go down to Mass, they are sitting there- usually right around supper time.

Good luck- and I'll PM you our number's- give us a call when you guys arrive...

Brandy