Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Great Lift Debate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Dec 10, 2001.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Jun 25, 2001
    Not weather to lift or not, but the almost as debated question of 4 or 6 inches. I'd like to go 6 inches, but would like to know some of the additional things that go along with a 6 inch lift.
    I'll outline things I know, add to it if you see something I missed.

Extended brake lines are a must. A steering arm will be required for either. Driveshafts should be fine for 4 inch, and most likeley need to be lengthed for the 6, but what about driveshaft angles? Specifically with the short front drive shaft from the SM465/NP208 combo? This is a longbed truck so I'm not real worried about the rear shaft.

Additionaly, does the added 2 inches (from 4 to 6) have a big enough effect to cause more stress to the steering box area? Any problems concerning the tailshaft housing on the NP208?

Reason asking is I'd like 35's (which 4 inch can accomodate) and still be able to put on tire chains (hence the 6). I also like the look of the 6 (can't be overshadowed by my friends new Cummins..:).

Anyone like to add anything?