Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the holy grail of axles........maybe???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Oct 7, 2006.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hey I had a few questions to see if a local is smoking crack or what.

He has quite a bit of 4x4 stuff and I called him asking about a few things I am looking for and he told me about all the axle setups he has. I had no idea they even made these axles but he said he has several closed knuckle front d70s, closed knuckle front dana 80s along with rear full floater dana 135(13" ring gear), and 145 (14" ring gear)axles that both come with rear discs and will bolt up to a srw k30 in place of the 14 bolt axles......along with aparently 10+ front dana 60s.......this had me a little confused.....is there any spec of truth to this info????? good lord a 14" ring gear is freaking huge. I think I found mountainexplorer's long lost brother living in Texas, lol.

Remington

2. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty positive the closed Knuckle d70 is real, Guy locally had one, but they are spendy to get parts for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive they came out of old dodges.

3. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

if those axles do exsist they would be strong but they would be huge. like of a uhaul truck or a flat bed tow truck

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The closed knuckle D70 front is real however the knuckle design and axles are weaker than a typical open knuckle D60. From a cost standpoint it's not worth converting to open. There are true open knuckle D70 fronts out there but they are extremely rare and I think they are mostly 10 lug stuff.

I question the D80 fronts... As far as I know, Dynatrac and Differential Engineering are the only companies making these so they should all be custom.

I would think the D135 and bigger axles might fit but are too big to be practical for wheeling.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a yard here that has a 70 front, closed knuckle, also found an Intersmashable with the same front. I haven't seen a factory one, but there are open 70 fronts, AFAIK, only in Dodges, and maybe some IHs. Can't say I've heard of 80 fronts factory.

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

dana 135s are newer dodge iirc rear ends and the 145s i think are drw rears

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

No, the D135 is the F550 rear (which are all dually) - not sure about a D145. The Dodge axles are not Dana, their made by AAM.

8. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Even if those hogs do exist why would you want one? Your talking massive weight, unecessary strength, and you'd probably have to run 44's or over to get reasonable diff clearence.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Isn't that kinda like too much money??

I'd like to have them both.

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Yeah but when you have 6" of ground clearance at the rear diff with 38" tires...there comes a point when you have to make tradeoffs. not to mention since they will be ford rearends they'll have a 10 lug metric pattern, so good luck finding wheels.

11. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

the topkick/kodiak and f 550 use the D135/145s. the turtle expedition ford had one of these rear axles.