Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Humble Beginnings of My New Tailgate.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I started fabbing this out of 1" square tubing, .120 wall. Used expanded steel as you will see. I used the stock hinges off a pickup which bolt to the body of my K5, and I just welded the counter parts on the tailgate. I'm also using the stock support arms and will be using some quick releases for a latch system. Here's a link for the pics...

<a target="_blank" href=http://pics.rockreadyk5.com/tailgate/>http://pics.rockreadyk5.com/tailgate/</a>

lemme know what you all think. Thanks

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I LIKE IT!!!

3. Waxer

thanks =)

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Aha! Finally I'm ahead of you on something! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Looks great, I did one like that many years ago. Square tube and expanded metal. Then used the factory hinge mechanism (scavenged cups from the tailgate, etc). I even used the factory latches and pull mechanism but I sort of regretted it. It didn't look real nice but worked well. I modified it a bit to make it look better but was too lazy to make major changes. I would still use the factory latches, just come up with nicer way to pull them both at the same time…

5. Waxer

hahhaa are we like the same person but from different realities somehow one the same one or something? Ok that was pretty dense, but what the hell. =)

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

here is what i did (assuming the reason for this was rearward visibility)was to run a <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com/images/rearbump.gif>"pro-net"</a> on the back. i have a soft top, and a pick-up tailgate, so removing it is a breeze. the pro-net can remain on when the tailgate is on without getting in the way. now, i can see out the back, and all my stuff is semi contained if a tie down slips or something. works pretty good.

i do like the metal expanded steel look though.

rob

7. 73BlazerT

73BlazerT Registered Member

I'm thinking of trying to do a custom tailgate but I want to use JUST the outer skin atached to the factory henges. Or even fashion my own henges and have a tailgate that swings out instead of folds down....

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Nice Job! You need to weed out some of those pics though. I almost quit looking before I got to the end of the list, but I'm glad I looked at them all. The last one was the one I wanted to see after I looked at the gate in the up position. I also like how you've trimmed the fenders. It looks like I can shed a few more pounds off mine.

9. Waxer

I will have more detailed pics tomorrow during the day. Those were last minute at night, hence them sucking.