Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Indestructable Ford 9"... yeah right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 16, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The Indestructable Ford 9\"... yeah right

Is there something I am missing on this axle? My friend put one under his 84 F150 with 35s and has blown the sucker 3 times in the last oh 8 months. Last time was today, we went for a drive then came back and I got my K5. We jumped in and went to head to my house he chirped them pulling out and BAM. Started making a nasty noise and he backed into the driveway. Pull the axles and third member, both main caps that hold the carrier were busted right out as well as pretty much every bearing in the thing and the ring and pinion are chipped badly.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: The Indestructable Ford 9\"... yeah right

uber-built 9" are pretty good in some applications. but for big heavy trucks, they are crap when compared to the cost and strength of a 14BFF. Even Ford guys are slinging 14BFF under thier rigs.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: The Indestructable Ford 9\"... yeah right

yeah he was saying he would steal the Dana 60 out from under a friends F250. I pointed out the problem of the IFS Dana 44 5 lug still in front.