Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Invisible Man would have been blind

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandman, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

One of the problems that the invisible man has is that the light is always too bright. The eyelids cant shut out the light and the irises in the eyes can turn down, but they also do not block the light. So everything is too bright for the invisible man. Right?

But if light can go through the eyelids and the irises, wouldnt it go through the photo receptors in the back of the eye also? Light has mass and the impact on the photo receptors is what causes them to pick it up. So if the light simply passes through them, there is no impact, and the receptors do not sense the presence of light, so, the Invisible Man is blind.

I think another way to look at is is: Light has no idea the the Invisible Man is there. No interaction at all. So how does the Invisible Man sense the light enough to see?

What do you think?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think you were watching "Hollow Man" the other night, right? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Sandman

Bingo! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

you said the light htis the invisible man, so it can still hit him even if he is not seen by people. is that enough for him to detect it, but for other people to still not see him

and hollow man is cool. i watched it two times.

5. Sandman

I dont think it hits him at all. If there is enough for him to detect, then there is enough to reflect, enabling others to see him.

"If the light reflects, you must detect!"

or something like that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

No yall are all wrong
    The truth is,,,,,,,

IT"S A DANM MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Is this along the same lines of the Terminator movies. It's assumed that John's dad came back from the future in the first movie, but he then dies. So basically the space time continium just went to crap and so how does the second movie happen? And of course there's a third movie coming out.

8. Sandman

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Well, I meant just the whole idea in general. I dont think it would work out.

9. Sandman

John's dad "left his seed" so to speak before he died. The last scene shows her preganent in Mexico if I remember right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    John's dad "left his seed" so to speak before he died. The last scene shows her preganent in Mexico if I remember right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So John's dad died in the first movie, so how could he come back from the future to get his freak on with Linda Hamilton? Remember, Doc Brown was always chastising Marty about not messing up the space time continium or there would be serious consequences.

11. Sandman

[ QUOTE ]
    So John's dad died in the first movie, so how could he come back from the future to get his freak on with Linda Hamilton?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did this in the first movie when they were in the Motel building pipe bombs. Then he died.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

So if he's dead, how did he come back from the future?

13. Sandman

Well, he didnt. He stayed in the past. And he stayed dead.

14. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

i think it helps if you dont watch the movies while experimenting with mind altering substances

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Sandman

[ QUOTE ]
    i think it helps if you dont watch the movies while experimenting with mind altering substances

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, that would be Smirnoff! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

He actually died long before he was born. Kinda crazy, but he probably wasn't born for another 20 years after he Died (AHHHHHHH MY BRAIN).

There has always been the question on whether or not somebody can time travel back to before they were born. You didn't exist then...so can you in a time machine?

You make me want to know...can invisible people see each other? I was always told that they could, but scientifically it doesn't make sense that they could. And then, if invisible people can see at all, they'd be able to see out the top of their head when they were sleeping. I think special handling for the eyes in the inivisibility process would have to be made. Basically, they made his body not reflect light..which is how we see. So by absorbing all light, or bending it around him, he became invisible. So as long as the backs of his eyes could still absorb light..he'd be able to see. Interesting...I'll have to ponder that whilst I sit on the "Throne of Deep Concentration".

17. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

there would also be a problem with the lens. If the eye doesn't interact with the light (being invisible), the lens would have no effect. If there was some way the back of the eye could still see the light, everything would be blurry, upside-down, and backwards.

18. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

not to mention that your pupils would be useless and you would not be able to regulate the amount of light going into your eyes and you'd just be blinded by the excess light coming in.

19. Sandman

[ QUOTE ]
    there would also be a problem with the lens. If the eye doesn't interact with the light (being invisible), the lens would have no effect. If there was some way the back of the eye could still see the light, everything would be blurry, upside-down, and backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! I didnt think of that one.

20. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

ever notice that your eyes never stop moving? that is due to peristolic movement because....light receptors work on the opzinations or rhodopsin and it takes time for them to "reset" to recieve light singals again, so if your eyes didn't move the image would fade away until the receptors reset.. therfore, an invisible man would have vision similar to what you see when you apply pressure to your eye and all you see is a white blur, so essentially an invisible man would ergo be blind........