Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Jimmy is mine!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Jan 21, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Well I'm buying my parents 80 GMC Jimmy 4x4 for $3,000 (they were gonna give me 2,500 for grad. so i only need to pay em $500 more)

The doors sag especially the driver's so I'm guessing they need hinges. The front fenders are also rusted so I'm gonna replace those. How hard is it replacing fenders? Do I just unbolt them and bolt the new ones on? Same for the hinges, are they hard to replace?

One more question, should I put an open element on it? Would I just need to replace the PCV with a little filter that goes on it? and then leave the other hose dangling there (on the back side coming off a 3 prong) Thanks for the help.

----------------------------------
    80' GMC Jimmy 4x4, 350-TH350-NP205

2. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

I dont know anything about the fenders, but I know the door-sagging problem is an easy fix. Go to an auto store with the HELP! racks and buy a couple sets of door hinge bushings and pins, and you just need to remove the door, drill out the old holes for the pin, fit the bushings in the holes, and put the door back on.

-mxmastermike, the 4000th registered user

3. anatomiczero

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll pick em up when I go and get an open element and breather.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The afore mentioned hinge fix is right on the money. Taking the fenders off is a little tricky, but is in means of being done by anyone with basic skills. First off, there are large bolts in the door jamb, under the hood by the cowl, and underneath near the front of the rocker. You will also have to undo all the bolts holding it to the wheel housing. You'll more than likely need new wheel housings. The move up the front clip and do all those bolts. You'll have to move the battery tray and such to get in there. There are also two bolts up front on each side holding things together. Its the strip of metal on the bottom of the grille that they bolt to. Also up above the head lights near the front of the fender will be a bolt. Make sure to unplug your park lights, washer tank, and wires that are secured to the fenders. With all that undone, make sure your hood is propped up and undo the bolts holding the support for the hood and pull the fenders off.

With your fenders off and hinges redone, now its time to align the doors. We'll worry about the back first. Loosen all the bolts going to the door and move the thing around so all the bolts are about in the center of there travel, this will give you lee-way for later. Tighten those bolts back up. Then you should loosen the bolts holding the hinges to the body. There is a bolt that goes in the opposite direction and you'll have to climb under the dash to get at it. I usually take off the instrument cover, pull out that little vent in the bottom left hand corner and go in through there. Once things are moving, pick the door up and make sure the back body line is straight and the door has a good gap. You have to comprimise, you just want a good all around fit. Then tighten those bolts down again (helper makes this easier). Then you put your fenders back on and align the front, which is fairly easy. If you don't remove the hinges and replace the bushings while they're still in there original position, things may line up right again. You could also mark the original positions and use them as a guide.

Its alot of work, but its easy. An open weekend and a little help and you should be lookin' good [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Also, to keep the weight off the hinges when the door is closed, the striker should lift the back of the door up about 1/8" when it closes. Otherwise, you will wind up with a cracked door bulkhead (check to make sure you don't already have one while the hinges are off) and/or damage to your newly rebuilt hinges.

It will probably take several tries before you can get the alignment right.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. anatomiczero

Thanks for the tips, sounds lite a PITA though.

This is what happened, there's the rods that are connected to the door, I can move the door so the top of the rod moves in and out. So are the bushings the only bad things?