Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Joys Of Parenting--Yet Another Update--

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mosesburb, May 11, 2005.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, we spent 6hrs in the ER Monday afternoon/evening getting my 22m/o boy's tongue sewn back together--he bit completely(!!) through the right half about 1/4" back from the tip. All went well, had an excellent doctor (who told us that they don't stitch tongues, but quickly retracted that statement after the visual inspection of my boy's blood filled mouth) and nurse (who stayed an hour after her shift was done to make sure our boy was good-to-go) and the proceedure went very well. He was very tired as we got home about 2.5hrs after his bedtime, so I went into work late this am so he could get up when he felt like it and not be rushed. He got going this morning, all was well, he was terrorizing the dogs in rare form--everything is cool. Took him to daycare and as soon as he got there he was getting lovin' from all of the ladies there as the tongue accident happened on their watch--no worries as it was a typical kid injury, but they all felt real bad for him, so there was no lack of lovin' for him there. I hand him off to a lady who loves him as her own, and am rather surprised to get the flattening lower lip that preceedes the crying "don't go". He's cool, I leave. Backtrack to my wife's work to drop off her Blazer and pick up my truck and head to work only to get a call from my wife a short few hours later saying daycare called and he has pink eye. Swell. Now I'm all kinds of paranoid about getting it as my left eye feels strange now. I cleaned a bunch of junk off of his right eyelashes this am, but thought it was just Life cereal that he had ground into his eye with his wrist while eating. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but am wishing I had thought a bit deeper on the subject at the time. Hell, I was more concerned with blood pouring out of his mouth than an eye infection :dunno: . So I get to stay home with him tomorrow (uh, today) and wash everything he touches (how do you sanitize a dog??) all while making sure I don't touch my eyes. As I sit here now I have one Kleenex for my right eye and another for my left for the inevitable itches that arise. I guess all is well though. I can deal with the eye issue (even if I do get/have it), but I don't care to ever see the inside of his tongue or frightening amounts of blood pouring out of his mouth again. I don't have issues with the sight of blood. Hell, I kept Band-Aid in business for a good many years, I watched my wife's entire C-section (didn't know exactly what I was watching, but I was going to make damn sure they were doing it right), grew up in a farm environment with/doing minor surgery, but I tell you what, that ordeal at the ER, just about had my buttons pushed. All of the crying and the blood and the visual aid of a flopping chunk of tongue was almost just more than I could take. My wife was crying, I really wanted to, but figured somebody had to retain their composure, so I refrained. I guess it is all in the joys of parenting, which by the way, I wouldn't trade for anything. It really makes me feel bad for the parents/kids who aren't able to get fixed up with some cat gut and sent home to sleep in their own bed and terrorize their pets the next day.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ahh kids i cant wait

My little brothers first ER trip(1 of many to come) pretty funny
    He was digging in the dirt under his swingset. He kept bumping his head on the swing chair(you know, the one where 2 people sit in it and the char stays level as it swings) well he grabbed the char and flung it to get it out of the way, not thinking it would come back, he went back to digging.
    Chair came back, hit hi in the head, he got 5 stitches for that one. he diddent evan cry just got pissed at the swingset, he was a pretty tough little kid, still is and now he is taller than me :D

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

OUCH .. glad to hear all went well. Yep, once you cross over into parenthood, you have a whole new list of fears to contend with, which make any you had before seem petty.

I hear ya, bro.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah i agree, my son got hurt his eye once ,and we took him to the ER too.It was tough,,,i think its just the thought of someone we see everyday , and that we care about like nothing else, in pain. I know the feeling man, and i know little boys are anything but calm lol.They jump around like crazy. The only thing you can really do is to let them fall on there own,and pretty soon they will learn not to fall anymore. I have one thats almost 3, hes a nut :D
    I know he"ll fall and get hurt again probobly too, boys are just like that. Theres nothing we can really do.

Glad everything turned out ok , and hes ok man. Cheers, Jacob***

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad to hear that it worked out and he's ok. The scary thing to me with kids hasn't been injuries, its the things that doctors can't positively identify.

My five year old had terrible hip pain and was in the hospital Sat and Sun nights (of course, so was I) weekend before last. They did an MRI (he thought that was cool) and drew fluid from his hip. The doctors have finally decided that it was "transient pain" probably caused by a virus and that it would go away by itself. Apparently it is not uncommon in small children.

He stayed with my inlaws for a few days instead of daycare and seems fine now. I hate stuff like that when they can't really identify it and you kow that the kid is hurting bad. :angry1:

6. mosesburb

I hear you there. We went through a spell of that not too long ago. Incessant, intense screaming during the night, which is extremely un-characteristic for him. Ended up at a couple different ER units with x-rays, MRIs etc. In the end they couldn't find anything and within a few days it ceased, but we were wrecks from no sleep and the concern for him. Like the tongue incident, if he were just a fuzz older and could communicate his questions about what is going on would *probably* made it easier on him as well as us, but watching him on the table screaming, not knowing what is happening is a tough thing to do.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ahh, yes kids and the ER, fun fun stuff... :crazy:

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I have 3 little boys and now a little girl, and I'm just dreading the day I get that phone call :yikes:

9. mosesburb

The Joys Of Parenting--Updated--

I thought I'd share the events of today. We had fun this morning, watching cartoons for 20 min, terrorizing the dogs, and generally running amock. Made him a grilled cheese for lunch with soy cheese as he is quite allergic to most any dairy products, but does fine with soy milk, yogurt etc so we decided to let him have some soy cheese. Well, about 20 min later, I hear "that sound". Oh No!! The living room bucket is nowhere to be found (we keep containers strategically located throughout the house because he got my childhood innards and can PROJECTILE vomit with no forewarning), so the first "glob" hits the carpet. I grab the bunny bucket that contains Mr Potato Head and sail him and his associated wares across the room in time to catch the secondary and tertiary "spews". I get him calmed down (the dogs cleaned the carpet for me before I got back into the room), read him a story on the couch where he is nearly falling asleep, so I figure it's a good time for him to take his nap. Take him and his bear into his room and read him "One Fish, Two Fish...". About 1/2 way through I hear "that sound". Look to my right and the bedroom bucket is standing ready. Grab it, sling it in between his chest, chin and bear and manage to catch it all!! Sweet. Finish the story, he is asleep. Lay him down in his crib, lightly pat his back to make sure he is out, and I hear "that sound". Oh NO!!! I manage to clear his blanket, bear etc out of the "line of fire" and just let him unload onto the sheet. Take him out, change his shorts and the sheet and start the story process over again as he is wide awake now. Get about 1/2 way through "The Cat In The Hat" and I hear "that sound" Oh NOOOO!! Where the hell is all this coming from?? I grab the bucket that is still standing ready next to the chair and sling it in front of him and catch it all!! Sweet, I'm a vomit stud!! Well, I didn't realize that when I slung it in front of him, I managed to sling the contents of the previous "spew" across the crib (on the fresh sheets and the blanket I managed to keep it off of the previous go-round), on his rocking horse and a little shelf deely thing with three large globs of something landing on the carpet under the horse. Shoot, shucks, darn, fudge..... What a friggin' mess. Anyways I got him to sleep finally. Of course he got up just as I was just about asleep in my own nap. So I got him up and proceeded to start cleaning the rest of the mess up. He was fine after he woke up and we proceeded to have some fun afterwards.
    What fun, I guess it's payback for what I put my mother through when I was his age.
    [​IMG]

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

At least the dogs didn't go hungry too!

11. mosesburb

Very true, and even if they didn't, I'll take cleaning up vomit over blood ANY day of the week!! Hell, I'm still trying to get the blood stains out of this nice tan sweater my wife was wearing when the "tongue incident" happened.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good lord, i hope i dont have to deal with that with my kids, jeez i hate cleaning up puke, so nasty.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy dogs. I have two labs that are inside whenever we are home. Before kids/dogs I cleaned immediatly everytime something hit the floor. Now I just whistle for the hazmat team to come lick it up. I also highly recommend getting rid of carpet and any other such surfaces. My house has lost carpet to woodor tile on the floors at every opportunity. Helps the hazmat team do a better job. The dogs followed by the swifter work great.

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Wow Nick. I didn't know you could read!! :haha:

The bucket issues just added to the stories from the other day. Sounds like loads and loads of fun. :crazy:

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My parents have told me numerous times about the fun they had when I was a kid. Evidently I had some real bad problems with my terrible twos. I had about double the dose of piss and vinegar that most kids that age have. Well, because of all the screaming and temper tantrums I developed a vocal nodule. With most kids it's a simple quick procedure but not with me. I put up such a fight that they had to get a gurnee and strap all fours down and sedate me. I was kicking people and screaming and flailing all over the place. But hell, they were shoving a rod up my nose with cocaine on it! I do have vague memories of this, but in my mind I thought they were putting a sparkler up there, probably because it burnt like crazy. I had to go to therapy for a while afterwards too :screwy: It's funny because I grew up to be a fairly mild-mannered guy.

The worst part about the whole thing is that when they sent me home after the procedure, my parents took me to eat at Frisch's. This was shortly after my Dad's valve replacement surgery in his legs so his entire left leg was stitched up from the knee to the ankle. He was carrying me into the restaurant and I started getting pissy again and threw another tantrum and proceeded to kick him as hard as possible in the leg, busting it wide open. I'm lucky he didn't throw me into oncoming traffic. :o

16. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My wife hates throw-up and I hate poop its been a fair trade so far all my kids have strong stomachs.

17. mosesburb

--New Update--

Well, I just got a call from my wife who said day care called and our boy is pouring blood out of his mouth again :frown1:. We are short-handed at work here today, so I can't leave to participate :frown1:. Luckily, my Mom is back in town and can go with my wife and boy to the ER, but I can't. I know he is in good hands, but I still don't feel right about not being there. On top of that on the Monday go-round with the tongue, I was the only one who could keep my boy calm through the ordeal. The last few ER visits it was my wife, but that time it was me. I hope he is calm for my wife as she is pretty upset at the moment, and much to my dismay, there is nothing I can do to help. Damn :frown1: .

18. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Wish I could take your place at the counter but I'm afraid I don't know enough to do any good. You could tell me what your Wife looks like and I could shock the snot out of her at the ER? No that doesn't sound like a good idea either.

Well, just know that I'm thinkin of ya and I think you need to put a big rubber band around your boys' head to keep him from bitin his tongue!!!

19. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My 20mon old son just got 8 stitches at the base of his pinky finger. Mom was out of town at a wedding, luckily some coworkers were around to go with me to Urgent Care. It's hard when they are so young and I can't explain to him what is happening. And he can't tell us what's wrong or what hurts.

That's 8 more stitches than I've ever received.

20. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I think I am puting of parent hood for a couple more years.. :eek:

:yikes:

wow