Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The joys of the Chevy smallblock & the frustrations of the Chevy smallblock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dremu, Aug 25, 2002.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The damn thing will run with the spark plugs wires crossed.

Note to self: #3 and #6 are on opposite cylinder banks!

(I was soooo careful swapping distributor caps yesterday, really I was ... oops.) Spent a coupla hours dinking with the plugs, timing and the carb, only to come to realization that the backfiring and lousy performance above, say, 1500RPM, was entirely due to some idiot (me!) dorking up the firing order.

Ah well, easy thing to fix. Swap the two wires at the dist so they're in the correct order, and she runs like a bat out of hell. The SBC400 is a wonderful thing.

Now if I only the stop-power (brakes) were par with the go-power... this is on the Chalet, so stopping the extra weight/height is ... fun. ;-)

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

.Back.

.Front.

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I always screw up the firing order too when swapping out the cap... but I always forget that the firing order is on my intake!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

You always start with 1 and you have 8 cyilinders.
    So that is 18. Times 2 is 36 times 2 is 72.
    So you have 18 36 72. Now that leaves 4 and 5. Put those in the spaces so you end up with 18436572. This is how I remember it. But then again I don't use the distributer anymore, because I have a computerized, 4 coil ignition system, with the cylinder numbers on the coils.