Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The K5 garage minus end walls and doors!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Almost done..............
    [​IMG]

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

What I love is that in the pic it looks like you build this shelfter in the middle of some forest and the only rigs that can get there must be 4x4. It's like a hideout from the feds or something.

Oh, and I like it a lot.

3. dontoe

Someone called it my "Meth Lab"! :haha:

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

You absolutly must create a make-shift sign to hang over the front that says exactly that.

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Looks good. What size is that?

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

In neon. With an arrow. :haha: :haha: Looks great.:bow:

7. dontoe

25X40......

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

looking good!!!

Wish you bought a bigger one yet???...:p: --I know I did when I got mine erected--20x40 sounds big,but it fills up fast when you start adding a drill press,table saw,and tons of other crap!..

Are you using the steel endwalls too?--I used wooden home-built ones instead,to reduce cost,with an overhead door up front--I framed my back wall for another 9'x9'door,but 14 years later,its still blocked off with plywood nailed over the hole..someday I hope to perhaps add another 10-20' to the building, and maybe make a room up over the roof on top of it...depending upon how things pan out here...I might just move instead!...

I've heard my building called a " Culvert pipe on steriods" by one guy who saw it!...other names mentioned were "mad scientist's lab" and "airplane hangar","monster garage","Giant Catapillar"and what my friends call it,"The Cocoon",among others...
    "Meth Lab" would be one name I wouldn't put on my garage,especially since the cheif of police here,a former DEA agent, and his son,a leiutenant on the force,live only 2 houses away!!:doah: ..I dont think they would find that very amusing!:wink1:

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are these cheaper than building a shop out of studs or posts? I'm pondering which to build whenever I move out of my current home to the next one. Wanting to go from 24x36 up to 30x50. Just like it was said before that when you pile stuff in there, the place gets smaller quickly.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

looks good Dontoe. If ya dont mind me asking how much does one of those sheds run?

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

built mine in 1992...

My 20x40 Quonset cost 4,050 dollars in 1992 when I bought it--no tax,and it was delivered free from Toronto Canada.......mine is a "round top",not a gable roof like Dontoes,and has straight sides for the first 4' or so..other models with "half moon" shaped designs are cheaper,but waste a bit of space near the edges..steel prices have tripled since I built my garage,so I'm not sure what one sells for today...but so have wood prices,I doubt a wood framed building is any cheaper,ever with steel being rather costly now..

I had priced several others buildings and nothing even came close to being as inexpensive as a Quonset,not even a pole barn with a dirt floor!...if I built a wood framed garage for 4 grand,it'd be a shack,not big enough to fit even my Ford Contour in it!..I love the tall ceilings and no rafters in the Quonset--perfect for adding a lift!..dont miss painting it or re-shingling it either...:D

...after 14 years mine still looks new,just the bolts are all rusty..panels have held up great considering our acid rain and road salt,and crappy weather in general..a shed I built the same year of wood is all punky already,and ready to collapse!...I also like the fact it cant burn down...

You can get more info at www.steelmaster.com(the company I got mine from),or google "Steel Buildings",there is at least 4 or more companies selling them....some places have "special deals" on certain sizes ,or ones someone backed out of buying--thats how mine was,someone bought it,then changed their minds about the style--they went for a gable roof like Dontoe's has,instead of the "round top"...I would have paid 6,500 bucks if I had not got that one!..I bet for 10 grand you could get a 40x60 one now...:crazy: