Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The last straw......

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by nau81blazer, Nov 20, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok guys,

Here's the story;
    My K5 originally came from my Grandfather (who passed away this summer). I've been in love with this thing since the day he gave it to me 7 years ago. The problem is, it doesn't seem to love me back. I've had to replace about every part possible on the truck and it has never, ever been reliable. It's broken down on me almost every wheeling trip and even just driving around the town. I've always attributed it's lack of reliability to the old 350 that was in it. Last month I replaced that tired old 350 with an awesome 383 built through my father-in-laws race shop. This engine is great! As of today, it's sitting in my driveway and not running. The problem: It seems like it's running way too rich and just barely chugs along shooting black smoke out the tail pipes. I have a holley truck avenger carb on the truck. It is the 2nd one I've had in 1 year because the other carb started doing the exact same thing!! The choke is all the way open on the thing and I've tested leaning it out and everything. Nothing is helping. Anyway, this is not my main motivation for writing this post (but if you have any helpful hints I would appreciate them).

My main question is: Do I keep on fighting this thing, or get it running good and sell it? I feel like it's stabbing me in the back. I've put so much work into it and nothing seems to fix it. If I put anymore money into it I think my wife might kill me:doah: :eek1: .....What do you guys think? I'm so frustrated with it right now I don't know what to do. It's not like I can sell it and get something nicer. You all know that our K5's don't necessarily go for a profit. I'm really unsure about what to do, so I'd love to get some opinions from yall.

Should I invest in TBI? These carbs are killin me. Thanks for ANY input guys!

--Adam

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

those carbs can be the kiss of death, mine drove me effing nuts for ever, it runs rich now but I am not about to deal with it,

my thoughts..grab a old reliable quadrajet, slap it on and no more problems

these trucks are far to simple, air, spark, fuel

take the carb off, barrow a quadrajet or go dig in the yards for one in a recently wrecked truck, for 30 bucks its worth a try:D

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You could do that or you could just give the Blazer to us. I don't have near enough frustrations in my life right now!:haha:

4. supersize75k5

allan pm me your #..my phone had an untimely death:D

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

quardrajet for now IMO since it's cheap. then i'd go for some EFI if you still dont like the way it runs.

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As far as the EFI stuff goes, I'm of the opinion that its probally best to go TBI than TPI. If you want a more exotic engine, buy and install 5.3L, or 6.0L from the newer trucks. You'll spend a grand more, but get 20x the engine than you will with TPI. TBI is just plain dirt cheap to install, and is still a big step up from a carb, so thats where I'd go for a regular old rig.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

You could give the truck to us, so I can actually have a reliable daily driver.

Or not.:crazy:

Laugh damnit!:haha:

8. nau81blazer

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. I think the quadrajet idea sounds good for now. TBI would be awesome. I imagine it's quite a bit of work though. I'm not so hot with the electrical stuff. I've been checking the "injection section" and searched the "technical" section of the site but haven't found an install article for putting tbi on trucks that didn't come with it. Anyone know of a solid article that would give me a step by step? I'm probably just not looking hard enough. Thank you all for your opinions. Anyway else have any other ideas? Thanks agian,
    --Adam

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The TPI install article by Ryan B is very similar to a TBI install. TBI & TPI are very similar systems & the general swap is very similar. Some of the details are different but they general swap is the same.

If you are going to use a TBI system then make sure you look around and find the airflow increasing mods or a BBC throttle body. You will need all the air you can get with a 383 in the topend.

Harley

10. supersize75k5

i would not even consider fuel injection, your agrivated already...some fi swaps are 1 of two things,

lots of time and some money

or lot of money

11. nau81blazer

Hey all,

I'm not really sure where to find Ryan B's TPI install article. Does anyone know of a TBI install article? When I get the tbi set up, how much work is involved in running it? Do I need a whole new wiring harness? Is there a certain year that I should try to get the tbi set-up from? Has anyone local ever done this sort of job that I could get ahold of? Do you think a shop could do it? (i'm so freakin busy right now I'm actually willing to pay someone to work on my truck for me!! EEK!!)? If it only takes a day, i could probably do it. I really want to do this so the truck will be reliable, so should I just buy a brand new tbi set up and wiring harness? Or does it matter much? Thanks guys!!

--Adam

12. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

p.m.'d ya

13. nau81blazer

pm'd back. Thanks!

14. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Just when the story gets good, it stops?????:eek1: I have had the same questions as NAU81 about the TBI setup/swap. Please post up some info if you can. I would really appreciate it.

15. nau81blazer

So does anyone local have an old quadrajet that's in great shape that I could buy from them? I have some parts to trade too...let me know if you know anyone. Thanks guys!!

--Adam

16. supersize75k5

contact paul, i think one is spoken for but he should have some:confused: