Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

THE LAST STRAW!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wild-will, Oct 7, 2003.

1. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

THat's it iam just fed up with my truck Iam sellin it and buyin a car. I'll post it for sale tomorrow I'll part out to you guys too

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Price check on Isle 3 for one bottle of Ritalin please.....................

Okay dude, calm down, breath...........

Confide in us, a whole bunch of total strangers just what ails ya this fine evening..................... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what is the problem with it?

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

methinks the truck must be smarter than him and he cant fix it??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Oh its alot of things the fuel pump the rings the gas gauge the mpg the mpg yep thats about it

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so 50 bucks for a pump, 50 for a sending unit, 100 for a tuneup and voila, pump works, sending unit works, a little better mpg and save up for a rebuild..

7. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Yea i know i just get tired of it sometimes

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Don't worry, we all do.

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Least you didnt smack yourself in the head with a steel fence post (2 people will get that) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

the reason we all keep these darn things is the advantages FAR out way the disadvantages
    so your gonna by a car that will break down and cost twice as much 2 fix will be all coputered so ya probably cant fix your self and ya gotta pay some joe 60+ per hour
    and god forbid ya get in a wreak with the car verses a k5 or larger what price is your life ???
    i am sure ya get my train of thought - reasoning point by now :-)
    and if its really mpg go get a Diesel and get 20 mpg and flip off all thse little buckets
    ok i shut up now Mabe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    R

11. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey I see you have a 76 K10. I am getting ready to scrap a 78 K20 let me know if ya need some of those little parts.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Having thought that having a "newer" car would be more "reliable" than my truck....

I have my 87 chevy k5. I also have a 97 Mazda Millenia.

Ask me which has given me small headaches that could be replaced by less than 100 bucks, and ask me which has cost me several thousands....

The AC clutch aseembly in my Millenia was 800 bucks. Wheel bearings were like 250 each wheel.Dont forget timing belt, water pump, knock sensor, yada yada... you get the picture.

My truck, besides having needed some major work when I first got it, (suspension and steering, + a rear end). Other than that, 1 radiator, a condenser coil, and an AC clutch.

I expect that I need to spend around 50 dollars a month per car on maintainance. Its just expected. Between oil changes, lubes, u-joints, and other stuff, thats just the way things are. Even in a new car, you will still be doing the same thing, except that you plopped some major change as a down payment.

I did the math for gas consumption. driving say, 15,000 miles a year at 30mpg=500 dollars. 15mpg=1000.

So you spent 500 dollars more a year on gas. How is this more affordable?

$250, life insurance, IMHO, nothing beats a full sized truck. Other than a s600 mercedes.
    $100, not breaking your back or slipping on ice trying to free your car out of the snow.
    $50 bucks, for when that time you go to home depot, trying to pickup something, to stress and look like a moron with supplies sticking out of your rear window
    $50 bucks, for the extra fun you'll have, and almost nobody gets caught speeding in a truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Having that extra extra big back seat... priceless.

I've blown through on my cars, like 12 struts scraped up numerous underbody air difussers, bent wheeels, yada yada, not to mention lack of control in foul weather.

If you are gonna get a "car" at least get something like a subaru Forester. At least then you still got some ground clearance and a dependable car.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

$50 bucks, for the extra fun you'll have, and almost nobody gets caught speeding in a truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Having that extra extra big back seat... priceless.

I've blown through on my cars, like 12 struts scraped up numerous underbody air difussers, bent wheeels, yada yada, not to mention lack of control in foul weather.

[/ QUOTE ] Ha I lost my license thanks to speeding and an accident. Oh well it was all my fault and I deserved every ticket. My only vehicles have been my K5(84) and my 95 K2500. I bought the 2500 cause I was tired of the little things on the K5. Within a week of owning it my alternator took a crap as well as my TPS sensor. Neither was hard, alternator was easier than the K5 but the TPS sensor was a bit more of a pain. As well as having a vaccum line pop off and make it stall all the time. one little line damnit. My K5 only HAS 1 vaccum line! I sold the 2500 and though I miss the automatic just cruising I don't miss anything else. I still love my SM465. As well I just put a bench in the k5 today cause i discovered with my 2500 how nice those can be /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I took the backseat out long ago. I have done plenty of damage to my mom's car driving in my style. It makes weird popping sounds when you turn and went through 2 sets of brakes. K5 is more fun than everything else I've driven put together. Its worth the little crap. Oh and I totalled a Chevy Corsica with my k5. Ran it over at 20mph. K5 sustained a bent bumper and smacked up fender. Both easily replaced for very little cash.

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

speed+ lift+ flexy springs + big tires=eeep. Danger will robinson!

I'll admit, on long cruises, I will do a constant 70 or so, but not too much more than that. I can hear my wallet draining of cash.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh its alot of things the fuel pump the rings the gas gauge the mpg the mpg yep thats about it

[/ QUOTE ]

What size tank? If you want to replace the pump and sender from a 25 gallon tank I have one listed in the for sale. $65 for the sender and I'll toss in the pump for $10 more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

for the mpg....you should get a Honda /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Price check on Isle 3 for one bottle of Ritalin please.....................

Okay dude, calm down, breath...........

Confide in us, a whole bunch of total strangers just what ails ya this fine evening..................... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i have missed Bubba posts the most /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If I had a quarter for every time I heard this here, I would be rich! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The only thing cheaper to fix and maintain than a 73-86 is a 2wd fool-injected S10. Next is a 87-91 old body style and IFS 88-92 fullsize truck.

There is nothing in the world cheaper and easier to fix and maintain than these vehicles. A Beetle is cheaper but not as practical and are a chore to work on. The old CJs were pretty easy to work on but expensive.

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Pretty much any old Chevy is going to be cheap to work on. I drove a 76 Monte Carlo for two years and didn't spend a single dime on maintenance! The only thing that cost me money was gas and swapping the 2bbl. for a Quadrajet.