Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The latest complication: cracked shock mount repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mplogic, Jul 1, 2002.

1. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I'm amazed at all the unrelated problems we've found during the axle swap and lift on my 89. I guess it's good we found all this and are taking care of it, I'm just waaaay over budget with all the little unexpected extras. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, there are some hairline cracks in the frame around the shock mount on the one side. The other side, with the mount that is riveted to the top of the frame rail is also cracked all the way through on the top where it is the thinnest. Ultimately I want to get some extended shock mounts but, I don't want to go that route yet as then I'd need new shocks too (and who knows what else). Anyone know of a weld on repair kit for the factory locations or maybe an aftermarket bracket that supports the shocks on both sides? If I can't find anything else, I'll probably just get a couple steel plates welded up on the frame mounted side, but I'm in a quandary what to do on the other side (top of frame rail mount). There doesn't appear to be much room to work with there. Any suggestions?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the MO offroad relocation kit as well as Jeremy's kit (Howlin off road) both have multiple upper holes so that various lengths of shocks can be used.
    I relocated my rear shocks myself and re-used the 4" lift shocks I had anyways.

After repairing busted shock mounts (upper and lower) for the third time I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth my time to do again. The factory design lends itself to self destruction...

Rene

3. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check those out.