Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The layout or welding table, critique

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by camiswelding, Mar 20, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

A basic piece of equipment for any fabricator is his layout or welding table

I just finished my new one...

4 x 8 x 1/2" plate.... 3 x 3 legs.. 2 x 3 box and 1 x 2 box... weight .. about 600 lbs.. cost.. about a dollar a pound

It has 2 1/2 in receiver hitch stubs around the table for vises, roller, bender hookup
    It contains
    mig pliers, metal rulers, metal squares, 6 ft and smaller levels, numerous vice grip clamps, numerous c clamps, bender dies and handle, welding magnets, hammers of all sizes, cutting tools... anything the weldor needs is at hand

tables has 1 1/2 inch bolts on legs for leveling

For years I welded on a 36 x 36 x 1 1/2 in machine table... which I found at the scrap yard for twenty bucks...I still have it and its great for bending or smaller jobs but the new table is big enough for putting a full frame on it...

I just painted it in hammerite grey... a new shop color because it covers so well and its a one shot paint
    Theres a pic of my old table...
    Some magnetic pen and chalk holders..
    and yep..
    the new powermig 350

any comments are welcome

cam

table1.JPG

table2.JPG

table3.JPG

original table.JPG

powermig 350mp procut 55.JPG

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

:bow: Friggin beautiful, cam:bow:

3. gauder

gauder Banned

I'm in lust with your table!

4. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

cam, very nice job on the table, I have been wanting the same kind of table for along time just dont have the room for one that big. beautiful shop man. I love my big cresent wrenches for bending stuff too.

5. camiswelding

thanks for the comments guys...

Im just starting to build a jig for a 3/4 size chopper... the tabe is nice ,obviously, for building that but also for a having the jig be level with my body... I like not having to bend over and being able to weld in a fixed position.. seated even better when tigging

I know what you mean about slomita.. youd have to be a multigazillionaire to own enough land to have a big shop... especially if you were on the rpv side and not across the blvd....

cam

6. rdn2blazer

that is exactly where I am, rpv side. you know the area?

7. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

hey Cam,

its been a while. good to see you're still up and kickin. thats a pretty bad looking table. the thing i was most impressed with however was the I-beam roller hoist. really wishin i had one for liftin cabs and such. for now the 2 cherry pickers will just have to keep doin the job.

8. camiswelding

Hey dillon... hows the monster truck coming.. i havent heard from you in awhile... still have the iiner frame tank... Im still interested
    If you ever head this way Ill pay for the trip..Ive got another member in sac that has a lift kit stored away for me... maybe cool april nights? for the street cruise?

Ive been busy in welding school and building out my shop equipment and upgrading it
    Its WET up here... but none of the craziness from down below

Slomita.. yes ..I know it... long ago when I was still down there my g/f was a deputy at slomita station... I was across town at Firestone.. where it wasnt as nice... if you know what I mean... alhtough we both know lomita has its crappy areas too...
    You can go from gazillionare rpv to ghetto all in one street... L.A. is funny like that

I use that I beam roller for lots of things.. I have the forklift but nothing beats a good ol chain hoist for doing things with finesse

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice!!! What is the tabletop height???

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Nice table Cam.

SO when where you in Lomita? I lived there once too.

11. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Looks sweet.

I played with a new powermig in my shop class. Whats your review on it?

12. camiswelding

I like it very much...
    it replaced an sp250
    the magnum 300 gun is a big heavy production gun and harder to get into small places... and the unit isnt good for really light guage.. so a lil welder like a sp135 is nice as well for the small stuff...

the 25 foot python gun for aluminum is awesome.. probably the sweetest currenty in the industry... pulsed mig welds come out looking like tig... I am dreaming of exo caging the v truck in aluminum tube... and building an alum flatbed and front bumper... maybe summer projects

I wanted to see if my ln25 could hook up to it as a power source.. alas it cant... and the dual gas selonoid doesnt mean two bottles working with the python so Im still going to have to build a manifold...
    and lastly.. Im going to see if I can hook up a spool gun like I had on my sp250... so i can leave the steel gun in place and plug in the spool gun in a seperate power receptacle... it looks like it might work.. Im chatting with lincoln about it...
    all in all

I give 4 out of 4 stars

13. camiswelding

32 inches.. table height

I lived for awhile in belmont shores in long beach and my old g/f worked lomita station... back in the 80s

14. Esteban86K5

My parents now live in Long Beach on 1st and Atlantic. I live in Lomita in the early 90's so it was after your time.:D

15. camiswelding

isnt it nice to be away from the craziness of L.A.!!!!!

Esteban... I got my ring roller... missing one die... so Im wating for a replacement part... before I give a review and post pics

cam

16. rdn2blazer

17. Esteban86K5

Good to hear about the roller Cam. A review would be great. I need it mainly for 1x2 rec or 1.5x1.5 square tubing. Wall thickness would be .95 at the most. So if there is anyway you could possibly run something like that threw it. I would owe you one.:D

Rdn- yeah i remember that post. But Cam hadn't replied there. It'sfunny how so many of us came from that area.:haha:

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, nice job! You've got some very nice ideas incorporated in that thing. :waytogo:

19. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is exactly like the one I am starting to build. With some additional things I didnt think of adding, but might have to now.:D I really like the way yours turned out. :waytogo:

Z

20. camiswelding

the one I got is for flats only... but it will do 1/2 inch x 2....
    I figured I could roll 2 arches and connect them with tube for a nice look...
    the one we have at school rolls square tubing.. it was 2200.. works very nicely..
    I decided to put my money into a bender.. a jd4 with hydro.. havent told the wife just yet... its like 2500 after you buy dies... still working up the nerve to say.. honey.. remember that disney trip you wanted to make.. well I decided to buy a bender instead.. just think of the quality time we can have in the shop bending tubing
    yea.. thats going to go over big!!!!