Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the lead room,wify might need it WTF

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Apr 21, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

because her thyroid is shot she might have to get radiation treatment. my friend said you go in a lead room and the doctor comes in looking like a mad doctor and he opens a safe in the floor to give her a lead cup,that he fills with radioactive fluid to drink.then for two days she has to be quarentined in a room and no one can be within six foot of her.i'll be feedind her like maximum securety prisoners. if we get to close the radiation will atack our thyroid also. so i get two days of keeping a three year old and a dog away. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifsorry to hear that man. hope everything works out

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, that's really scary and sad. I hope she's ok in the end.

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Been there - but I got the pill version. Cost $750!! It's radioactive iodine - very low dose, but enough to kill your thyroid. My dose wasn't strong enough, so I still get some symptoms now and again. Wasn't as draconian as you described though. I did get a lot of "glow in the dark" jokes thrown at me. Take it in stride. Most of all - be there for her. Graves disease is no laughing matter. It killed you in the 1940's - well - the symptoms of other related complications killed you. Check out National Graves Disease Foundation web site. There's a discussion forum with some very helpful and knowledgeable people who are very willing to explain almost any aspect of this disease. Tell you wife that she is in good company - George Bush (elder) and Barbara Bush both have Graves Disease as well as numerous other public figures. Me too.

Mike

5. boggerless

when she uses the bathroom she has to flush it at least five times and the wipe everything down with clorox wipes.and she has to use plasic spoons and stuff ,wash them real good and then throw them out.cuz they check for radiation at the garbage dumps. it's a $35,000,00 fine. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifwhy don't they just cut out the thyroid??? when it's done we have to scrub everything(spring cleaning again).there is a 10 % chance she won't need it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so the middle of may might be a new subject here. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

man sorry to hear that. so she is going to home during the 2 days? seems like they would keep her at the hospital for that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. boggerless

wouldn't you think they would,but no cuz of the radiation. i was thinking HOTEL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but we can't contaminate other people. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could always send her to chyrobly (sp?) no need to worry about contamination there /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Surgiclly removing the thyroid is the most radical of all treatments - besides - it leaves a nasty scar from ear to ear. I take a pill every day to replace the thyroid hormones that mine no longer produces. It took almost three years to get my dosage to the point where my "system" was stabilized. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Wasn't the docs fault - I had a bad case. That's why "the pill" didn't kill it completely. My wife (well - she'll be my wife in three days) is an RN and really took care of me!! Your wife is gonna need you. It won't be easy - so hang in there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

The radioactive iodine is a VERY LOW dose. They tell you not to get too close to the patient, but completely isolating them is a little radical. You don't want the cat on their lap and you shouldn't sleep with them for a few days, but total isolation is rediculus! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

At least you won't need the night light! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, sorry to hear about it, I hope it turns out ok.

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im sorry to hear about this, I pray everything works out well for your wife and family.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sorry to hear, good luck and hope she and the rest of the family is okay /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Daryl,
    My Mom had the same treatment about 6 years ago and it went really well. I wouldnt worry to much.

15. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Surgiclly removing the thyroid is the most radical of all treatments - besides - it leaves a nasty scar from ear to ear

[/ QUOTE ]
    not really, I know several people that had the surgery and their scars aren't noticable, unless you are looking for it. most of the time the dr. will put it in the crease line across your neck. I wish her luck and hope things get better.

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Best of luck and my prayers are with you.

17. boggerless

thanks everyone, since i have to take one day off from work(her sister is taking the other), i'll keep ya'll posted that day , a play by play.---NO GET AWAY FROM THIER,GOTTI STOP BARKING- etc. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif