Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The lift kit blues..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

And indeed they are giving me the blues, got my whole front end off with little trouble, got the axle pulled out, cleaning it up, time to remove the steering arm comes...pshh it didn't want any part of that, I beat it with a bfh, heated it and beat it with a bfh, used an air hammer. I tried everything, and it did not budge one inch...I also slipped and hit one of the studs, which I have no clue if they can be replaced or not. so what is a k5er to do...I have a dana 44 in my garage that has the steering arm for the lift on it, can I just take the whole side of the axle off the dana 44 with the steering arm and just put it onto the 10bolt? or would it be easier just to swap the whole axle, but I think my blazer has 3.08 gears, and I think the d44 has 3.73, from what I know, thats a no no to mix gears. I have the 12 bolt rear, i'm just unsure if there are anything wrong with the axles, I know mine are good. So...what to do? Swap the axles, swap the side of the d44 onto the 10 bolt, if I do this will my new 10 bolt brake parts work on the 44? I just don't really know what to do...ahhh...anyone have a cure for my lift kit blues?...thanks alot guys...

Jack

2. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

First, you could try to swapping the knuckles from the other axle, but do both as the tie rod may mount in different positions (top or bottom).

Second, when you used the BFH, did you hit downward on the steering arm? If you did so try hitting the side of the steering arm right next to the studs. This will usually free up the conical inserts enough to remove the arm.

-Alex

3. Pvt. Maggot

I hit it on all sides, i'm gonna go for round two tomarrow, are the studs able to be changed?

4. Pvt. Maggot

Anyone else?

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I had to beat on mine for quite a while.... figured I was doing something wrong, came on here and posted a very similar message to yours. I was told to get back out there and keep swinging! :D Eventually it came loose.

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah I beat the $h!t out of mine before it finally came off. almost gave up on it but after beating forever it finally moved and I got it off.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Don't mix gears, you'll break things.

If the D44 has the flat-top knuckles, now is a good time to switch in preparation for crossover. 10-bolts and D44's are the same from the spindles out, so yes, the brakes will fit one another.

The studs are replaceable, and you want to do so. Having a bunged up steering arm stud is begging for trouble.

WFO and ORD both sell the kits as a set of three, $25 or so last I checked (three studs, cone washers, nuts.)

-- A

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Soak it real good in pb blaster. Soak it overnight if possible and several times before you work on it. Then use a big hammer and hit the numbers that are stamped on top of the arm. Hit them enough until you see the cone washers around the studs start to come up. At this point you can either keep hitting until they pop off, or.....the washers sometimes thread themselves onto the studs real tight so if you can get them up enough, use some vice grips clamped on them to unscrew them.
    -Harrison

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

its frustrating, but once you do one they get easier since you are mentally prepared for the challenge. work on it one cone washer at a time. beat the daylights out of the back of the arm. the end closest to the rear of the truck. the arm is thinnest there. the hole should deform slightly forcing the cone washer up and out of the hole. once you have that one out it will get easier. use vise grips to pull up on the cone twisting them helps.

10. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Me also

I too just got finished beating the hell out of my steering arm. I won.

Lubed it down tow days in a row with the best stuff ever PB Blaster.

10 minutes of beating it to death and it was done.

I also dinged up the front stud thread.

What is this called(Knuckle, is that correct)? And can I take one off another 10 bolt and put it on mine so all the threads will be in good shape.