Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Little storm last night, or Monsoons: Arizonas Inland Hurricanes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, it started last night, like most of them do: a pink/tan wall of dust seen from several miles away, rapidly approaching, then immersion into 45MPH winds with gusts up to 75, trees falling left and right, lighting raining down all over, and me closing the trainpark as quickly as possible. the 10 mile drive home was more like a tire and brake commercial then a realistic driving situation, the dust still thick in the air, light sprinkling of rain, to garuntee instant mud, and no visibility through the windshield. downed trees, and blown over signs added to the chaos and confusion, coming into view, leaving barely enough time to swerve ( even when only driving at 30 MPH) 3 intersections lay black, with police flagging traffic around, and several firetrucks, undoubtibly on thier way to extinguish burning palmtrees.

the morning revealed the true extent of the carnage, trees strewn about all over, fences torn out of the ground, street flooding, sheds, and other lightweight buildings blown over, shingles scattering the roadways, roofs missing, the airport closed to clear the remains of several hangers from the northern runway.

all in all, one of the worst ones I;ve been through in a while. I think the scarriest part about this storm is the fact that 99% of all arizonans are so used to them, that 60MPH winds neither shock nor scare anyone, the rumble of thunder and lightning aren't scarry, and unless your house is blown away, you can say `it wasn;t that bad'

-Rich

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

So if it's no big deal, why are you posting about it? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<~little chit /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

So I guess you'd better anchor them trailer wheels purdy good or you could be rollin' down the street while you're watchin' Jerry Springer!! LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Little early for the monsoons to be kickin' it in so bad...I thought they started in August. Been a decade or more since I lived in Phx. or Tucson. I remember the dang things coming at sunset like clockwork and filling the streets up to the 12 inch high curbs. Then you get the sun baking the rain back into the sky all the next day 'till sunset and repeat the wash and spin cycle. How many morons floated away in the "dry" washes so far?

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, the deffinition of the start of monsoons is: when the relative humidity is over 30% ( or something like that ) for 3 days in a row, then monsoon season is upon us. phoenix no longer gets rainstorms in the afternoons every day, due to the `heat island effect' but when we do, they're rather violent to make up for it. I don't know if many retards have floated away yet, although they don't generaly broadcast that stuff, unless nothing else is happening anymore: it happens too often. little Johnny/jenny are out in thier Brand New Delux 4 wheel drive Xterra, and see that the wash has overflowed the street. now before, they new they couldn;t makeit accross, because thier 1984 buick skylark didn't have 4wheel drive, like the xterra... and look, a monsterous blazer made it... he started to slide there at the end, but its probably because of those big floaty tires... so, little Johnny/jenny start crossing a flashflooded wash, thats 3 feet deep in the middle, with approximately 25,000 GPM flow of water, and lo and behold thier stupid plastic car floats down the wash and into a tree before they even make it 1/4 the way accross... then firefighters, and search/rescue teams have to risk thier own lives to save these morons from themselves... fortunately, the cost of rescue is now charged in full to whoever is stupid enough to cross a flooded road ( in addition to whatever other fines are deemed prudent and nessicary, such as ignoring a flood warning sign, and leaving a paved highway, littering. etc)

as for the smartass who asked why I'd post on a storm that wasn't scarry to me, I posted because it was cool enough to leave an impression on me. its not too often that you get to dodge falling trees while driving you know,

-Rich

6. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

I lived in the Phoenix area for a year back in 96. We had some pretty crazy storms that year. It's impressive to see that wall of dust coming, swallow everything, and then suddenly turn into a thunderstorm. During one particular storm I was driving to a buddy's place in Peoria and was dealing with that tire commercial BS and had an aluminim shed come flying over a fence and across the road in front of me and keep on going. It took me 45 minutes to make the 10 minute drive due to all the downed trees and power lines.

7. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

"Heat Island Effect?"...must be 'cause of all the thermal mass of the big city's roads, buildings, AC units, etc.? Just how damn BIG has Phx. gotten by now? I recall it used to thin out going East thru Apache Junction. Or going West past Sun City or the airbase. Been quite some time since I got to say..."But it's a DRY HEAT!" LOL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you're right on the Heat island effect... what happens is all the concrete, pavement, glass, steel, etc absorbs tons of heat every day, then spends the entire evening venting it back out... since the city never cools at night, it starts out warm already, making it much hotter the next day, and giving a trend of overall highs... then, when the storms start rolling in, its so hot, that the clouds part around the edges of the city, and rain happens everywhere but phoenix, hence the name Heat Island Effect... of course, the downside of this, is that when rain finaly does happen, its very violent, thanks to the extreme thermal updrafts created by the super high temperatures... `microbursts' are becoming more and more common here, ( a micro burst is a sudden up or downdraft lasting for a few seconds, with wind speeds between 100 and 150 MPH) as are higher temperatures.

to give you an idea of how much phoenix has grown, its nearly solid buildings from the indian reservation to the south ( chandler Blvd) north all the way to Happy vally road, and from apache junciton west to Dysart Road... the fringes extend with loose buildings, and fields for about 10 to 15 miles beyond there, ( out near apache junction, there's still some open space, and fields and whatnot, but they're filling in quickly with houses) the city of phoenix alone has 1.1 million people in it, and maricopa county has I thikn 4.8 million total.... so yes, Phoenix has grown a lot, and it still isn't slowing down any...

-Rich

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Back in the 70's and 80's, I recall it taking about an hour to get across town on surface streets going East/West...say, like on Indian School Rd. What the heck must the crazy traffic be like now!?? If people need to get somewhere do they toss an inner-tube in the canals and float across town?!? BTW...do folks STILL go tubing on the Salt River?

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I just got home from pulling 30 hr stretch of OT. Our storm in Tucson knocked down 25 power poles. What a mess. Roads were closed, people were screaming for power. Basically it was mass destruction. It's amazing to so an 10000lb 85 ft tall pole with a 4' bottom diameter blown to shreds like a badly chewed tooth pick. God it was great!!!!!!!!

11. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

just went tubing this past weekend.got drunk got sun burned and had fun.

12. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Did ya end up with the chronic sore armpits from paddling the tube and sunburnt shin-bones? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

ugh, I always hated the tube rash most about tubing....

to get accross town, we can take freeways now... and I say that in plural form... to get from say apache junction to peoria, it takes probably about 50 minutes, if its not rush hour. about 1990, the freeway program finaly started to take off, and since then, we've added almost 200 miles of freeway, and expanded the black canyon ( I-17) and started getting the Superstition ( us60) widened. the superstition also goes all the way through apache junction, where it stops being a freeway, and starts being a 4 lane divided highway all the way to florence junction. Grand avenue still sucks, but they're starting construction to make the 6 way intersections more like 4 way intersections, with the other road on a bridge.

the `loop 101' project is done, and the 202 project is running like mad... the state instituted a new plan to stop construction companies from going over thier alloted build schedule... when you bid on a contract, you also must bid a time.... cost and time taken are weighed in, and are the determining factor for deciding who wins the bid. if you miss your deadline, not only does the state start fining you, but every single company that you said you could beat out gets to sue you every day past the deadline they say they could have done it in. for this reason, the superstition widening project will be done middle of next year, instead of begining of 2007. the 202 will reach power road, swing south, and tie in with the superstition in the next 3 years, and the other half of the 202 will be nearing completion...

here's a map with dates and whatnot on it...

-Rich

14. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hard for me to see it on a crappy old webtv...I remember a freeway running East/West down South of Sky Harbor...10 or 17? If I recall it kinda looped North around West side of town. Four lanes to Florence!!??? Lived in Florence late 70's and it was 1 gas station and 3-4 bars!! Two lanes to Florence from Apache Junction to Tucson. Used to drive on dirt road past the prison heading East and go drink beer in the desert. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Is the river running at all? We should an Arizona K5 river day. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I used to love the monsoons.............'cept the fawkin' humidity on top of 105 degree weather. Used to go up to Deer Valley Cycle Park (ANYONE remember that place?), climb up the hill and watch the lightning coming in..........great times. Also did that at Four Peaks (know you guys have to know that place) and Sycamore Creek........... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That reminds me, were you one of the guys repairing Valencia/I-19? Looked like a disaster zone out there /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I would also like to deliver a complaint to TEP's resource management - Had they bought steel poles in the first place, it wouldn't have taken me over an hour to get from 6th. ave to Midvale. I suggest prompt removal of all managers and increased pay to the operations guys /forums/images/icons/wink.gif