Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Long awaited Carnage Pics... of my Blown 400 SBC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Nov 15, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

As some of you mat remember a month ago I blew up the motor in my 74 K5.. a fairly new sbc 400... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Piston 4 destructed blew apart and scattered throughout my motor... twisted the rod to a 15 degree angle and punched a hole in the block cyl wall and the oil pan... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif was not cool... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Well The pictures are in my webshots folders under Psycho Chicken 75 % Complete.. and a picture of my seats and Herculiner Project.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

New 350 on the way soon... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The pictures were just uploaded so they may take a little while to update...
    be patient...

http://community.webshots.com/user/74k5blazer

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Man, that sucks. The pistons dont even look like it was hardly run.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

they werent...

the guy drove the motor for 6 months max to and from his home and work...

I drove it to naches from mt vernon.. 500 total miles... maybe 3,000 miles by me...

Really sucks...

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Any idea on the brand of those pistons? When I took my 350 to the machine shop they said that most HP pistons (Kieth Black in my case) needed file fit rings. He said that if they arent fitted right they could break the top of the piston off. Might be what happened to you.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i donno.. I'll be taking it apart this month I hope... to see what really happened...

It looks like a piston skirt broke off exploded and caved the piston in around the rod... the rings were WRAPPED around teh rod...

I got the piston pieces in a bag for a momento /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif