Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Lounge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Sep 28, 2005.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I have been on CK5 for about 2 years now and I was wondering,,
    How many people post up on this site don't even own a K5 or even a 4x4.

Seems as though some people only post up in the lounge and don't have much to offer in the other forums.

HHHHMMMMM???????

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a mountain bike. :laugh:
    Does that count? :confused:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Count your blessings or I will start posting my extensive expertise in the Garage. (What size lift will i need.....) :D

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, it seems to me that most of the regular "Lounge Lizards" enjoy the social aspect of CK5 a little more than the average user. That's not to say that they don't contribute their fair share of tech. I try my best to help people out when I can but there is so much activity throughout the site that it's hard to keep on top of all the questions in every forum.

I would suggest that it all boils down to priorities and personality- some people really enjoy helping others, while other folks would rather BS with their buddies and chill out.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've owned a few K5's, and currently do not own one. When I sold my first K5, I stopped hanging around here, then came back when I bought my second.
    I had a pickup a few months ago, currently have a car, a minivan, and a motorcycle. I haven't yet found a tech forum for the minivan, though.

For me personally, I hang out in the lounge because I'm constantly near a computer, and I really enjoy CK5's comradery. I also like hanging out with like-minded people that all share our common bond of the K5. Even though I no longer own one, I still feel entitled to call myself a Chevy Guy.
    I'm from an auto-wrecking/racing/repair-centered family, I've been doing tech all my life and have just become a little disinterested in it since I became a dad/homeowner over the last few years. Kids and a house take a lot of time and money... I do personally enjoy the tech when I can actually enjoy it, but it's not much of a hobby anymore for me. When it's something I can't prioritize (upgrades, etc) or something I have to do (repairs), it's not as enjoyable. When I was knee deep in tech, I'd like to think I helped some of our yahoo's out in the Garage. I think it was called the "'73-91" forum back then :rotfl:...

I don't hang out in the tech forum asking questions and not contributing. In fact, I only hit the Garage maybe once or twice a month, and maybe respond to a thread there once a year...
    So yes, while I paid the membership fee that helps keep this site "on the air", I don't contribute much, if anything at all, to forums other than the lounge. I don't really have a problem with that, and hopefully no one else does. Since I came in and got comfortable here as a K5 owner, I don't consider it necessary that I leave because I'm no longer one.

Since I rarely leave the Lounge, I don't know...are there a lot of other Lounge Lizards here?

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What's a K5?

:crazy:

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

...[​IMG]

K5 is a Pentium-class 32-bit processor. This was the first x86 processor designed by AMD from the ground up, and not licensed or reverse-engineered as previous generations of x86 processors produced by AMD. Like other 5th generation x86 processors, the K5 included the following features: superscalar architecture, out of-order speculative execution, branch prediction, 64-bit data bus, integrated FPU, and power-management/SMM modes. Because the integer performance of the K5 was faster than similar clocked Pentium, the processor used Pentium rating (PR) instead of actual frequency to designate its performance. Alas, floating-point performance of the processor was much worse than its Pentium rating. AMD K5 was produced in speeds up to 200 MHz (200 MHz version was not officially announced by AMD).

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't think I have a K5. Does that mean I have to go home now?

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have no idea why, but I actually read that entire description... I don't even know a ram from byte! I have no idea what you were talking about, but I read it anyway! :haha: :haha: :haha:

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I own two K5's and mostly post/hang out in the Lounge. As mentioned, I like the comraderie and like-mindedness here. I occasionally post in the Garage or the First gen forum, but usually with questions. I am a marginal wrencher at best and have learned what little I do know here on CK5, the last thing I would want to do is constantly talk out of my ass in the garage and possibly screw someone up on their project (as many asshats do in the garage). Nor am I interested in a tech pissing match, of which there are plenty, not to mention my tech knowledge is so limited it would just be me pissing down my own leg. :doah:

Oh yeah, I have a mountain bike too. :D

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Without getting too technical; it's a large hole in my driveway I throw money and gas in.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've got several sheep, does that count??????????

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I'm on my 3rd K5 right now, and even if I didn't have one anymore, I'd still hang out here.

The friends are great, And the debate is intelligent when it occurs.

I check out most of the other forums, and post up if I can add anything.

Tom

14. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Wasn't meant to be confrontational,,was just wondering as to how someone with no interest in 4x4's would start hanging out at a 4x4 site,,I mean did they stumble upon it?,,Link to it ?? Friends turn them onto it ??

I think the mix of people that don't mess with 4x4's occasionally adds a new perspective to us that do,,Hell I like talkin' about things other than how much lift will I need,,,what size widget does it take,,,Bla,,Bla,Bla,,,

Don't take my post wrong,,Just wondering how some of the people got here ,,, :confused: :confused: :confused:

15. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Does a K10 count? :D

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well since your just a pup... I've been in the "other" forums and lets just say I know if you can fit 35's with a 4" lift. I still lurk in the others but rarely find anyone who needs help who hasn't already gotten it... :p: :wink1:

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well said. Same here. When I post in the Garage it is normally to ask, not answer. i enjoy the lounge a great deal and greatly appreciate the help I get in the Garage, but I am not much help (hopefully yet) when the topics get technical.

Also you can't get regular updates on Bubba's harem in the garage. :D

18. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You forgot about your harem of goats.

I hang out here a lot because I'm a little above will these tires fit and a little below the complexities of engine work and shock valving numbers so I'm at a midpoint in my journey to the ultimate encyclopedia of K5 knowledge.

19. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Tengo un 1997 Yukon, que es un producto de GM, tan supongo que califico.

20. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

did my k10 count also? I sold it a week and a half ago. Looking for a new truck though. Not very far off from me. :confused: