Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The madness has BEGUN!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Well, today was the first day of my floor replacement!!! I got everything out except the floor. It is all ready to be cut first thing tomorrow morning. Looks like I'll only have minimal cutting and welding to do on the front half of the floor which is good. Just letting ya know, I'll be taking pics and doing a write up most likely.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>RUST=BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Have at her, Ben ! I'm back from vacation now so I too will be hitting it again ! Keep in touch !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

the floor is now out!!!!!! I'm gonna have some fun rebuilding the front floor where the step is,but all well, it'll be like new, I started taking pics and I'll try to get them online soon. Well just keepin ya'll posted and to yunit or RIZ or boss or anyone who has done this, I need to know how I'm going to put the floor back in with the tailpan attached. Thanks for all the help guys and I'll keep you posted and you guys keep ME posted!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>RUST=BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Lay the floor flat on the ground upside down. the rear tail pan area between the indents for the frame rails is where it will hang up on you. what you need to do is cut that middle section out. it's the piece that would be facing you if you looked directly at the back of the pan if it were on the truck. cut it flush with the indents for the frame. you need to take out the section that is 24" by 1.5". then all you do is slowly drop the floor in from one side and push it back under the tailgate support posts. it works beautifully, no need to lift the body.

Good luck
    craig

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

so I cut something off my brand new floor that I payed big bucks for??????? and not put it back on??? are you talking about the part that is inbetween the frame rails and it dips down(as it would be in the truck??) SO i would cut that to make it flat all the way across on the bottom side of the tail pan??? so I leave it out, not weld it back in?? I don't have a welder so I'm not crazy about cutting and welding. I am having a friend come over and weld up the few patches that I need but still, less is better in that case. Thanks a TON!!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

7. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Yep you cut up your expensive piece of sheet metal. my cousin helped me do this and he did the same on his 78 blazer. you dont cut the whole back just the piece between the frame indents. i cant post any pics but maybe this will help. rear view of tailpan.

before- [____/---\__________/---\____]
    after - [____/----------------------\____]

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

8. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

ok Now I understand. now my next question. It looks like the ends of the tail pan extend under the tailgate posts. which means you need to sneak the tailpan under those and then inbetween the ends of the quarter panels, which are narrower than the inside. Kinda hard to explain. I have my wheel wells out and have new ones that I will bolt to the floor. am I looking at a long time of wresteling with the floor to get it to drop in?? Thanks for any tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Good point, Ben ........ That's why I see no way to do it without lifting it up somehow.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>