Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The MDP is Dead

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Mar 20, 2001.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Alas, my 82 Jimmy (AKA the "Mobile Dance Party") is dead. I was going up to Truckee yesterday and I noticed that I was losing oil pressure, as I got over to the slow lane my radiator exploded, coating my windshield with fluid. Que Lastima! I sat there staring for a second when I realized that there was smoke as well as steam, so I grabbed my phone and my Palm and bailed. In no time at all there were four foot flames coming from my engine compartment. Then there was an explosion (not the tank, lucky!), and then the fire department arrived. The used chemicals, water, and eventually foam to put it all out.

My truck is a total loss. I am so bummed. On the bright side I had comprehensive on it so I will get a fat check from my insurance, but I'll never get another truck as nice as the one I had.

My rear end is totally fine, and it is a 6-lug 14-bolt full floater, so I am going to try to get that off it before it is taken. It has a Detroit Locker as well as 4.56 gears, so if anyone is interested drop me a line. I only put a thousand miles or so on it.

Pics of the destruction to follow...

[​IMG]

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

That sux!!! How did you get the 6 lug FF? Special shafts or something?

[​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That sux! Glad you got out OK!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

OH OH!!!.....I am interested in the axle if you do sell it. I need a six lug...I so don't want to sell my rims and need to upgrade to a 14 bolt. If you do, I asked first about it!! How much? I just got paid too! Yeehaw! What is the condition? I live in Sacramento....not that far from you right? Let me know. Sorry about the Blazer. That has to suck. Hope you get another one soon. Thanks....

Stephanie
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh man, bummer. Like you said, grab the 14 and stick a cheap 10 or 12 bolt in there before the insurance gets there. I'm also interested in how you got a 14FF 6 lug. If there are more parts (tranny, tcase, shafts, etc.) that you would like to keep, you can usually keep a burnout for a song. They can't get anything for a burn at a salvage auction so don't let them charge you much to keep it....

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

My local shop built it, I am sure there was machining involved but I don't know exactly what has to be done. It works great, though...

[​IMG]