Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Mega Cab is here! The mega cab is here!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by rjfguitar, Feb 10, 2005.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is the new Dodge Mega Cab with a few body changes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

looks sweet.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

It would be halfway okay if it didnt have the ugly as sin Dakotaish front end....

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sure is short;)

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

RJ, it sucked, plain and simple. I was at the Chicago autoshow yesterday when they unvielled it to the press, honestly, it has no more room in the back seat than a ford when the front seats are back. VERY unimpressed that this is the best dodge could do this year, all they have done is catch up to Ford and Chevy. When you go sit in one, you will understand.

I thought there was actually going to be a lot of legroom in the back, and there is when compared to other dodges, but not when compared to ford and chevy. Not to mention it only comes with a 6'3" bed, not exactly a hot bed length if your gonna tow a 5'er. I give it a 2thumbs down.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Pic #1 has a Photoshop look to it.
    Pic #3 shows that I wouldn't want to ride in the back for long trips. And I'm only 5'8"...

7. rjfguitar

Well it looks roomy from here but you saw it, I'll take your word for it.;) I would like it more if it kept the 03-05 front clip. I like my 2001.5 best anyway.:D

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Being only available with SRW's and a short bed kills the deal. I'll keep my 03.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I thought the same thing, they pulled it up on stage, showed the pictures on the bigscreen, the guy said the cab was 111" long, and i was actually kinda excited. Then they said it comes with only a 6'3" bed, then only a SRW, then showed that behind the seat for about a foot is this stupid little storage bin about 6" deep, and then they pulled it off the stage and let everybody there crawl arround in it. I sat in the back and didnt think it was too bad, and then i realized the front seat was all the way forward. Put the seat back to where i could drive it, and it was very dissapointing. Nothing "mega" about it at all.

Like i said, i am dissapointed in dodge that this was the best they could come up with this year, and all they did was catch up to the GM and ford, and at the same time shoot themselves in the foot by offering it in only a shortbed, SRW configuration.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Man, I'd been anticipating this, but it looks pretty disapointing. No leg room in that pic. I'm still very happy with my real crew cab CTD!:D

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I'm disappointed in it too, I don't regret ordering my Furd (yet). I thought the backseat would be much bigger, and was hoping that the rumors were going to be wrong and it would be available with a long bed and DRW. Oh well, too bad so sad.:D

12. rjfguitar

Well, if it has basically the same room as the Ford and GM than I'm happy as a clam. I didn't want them to get a bigger back seat than the other two anyway, that would be getting too long (it is already apparently) and that is what limos are for. If there is 6" of storage space behind the back seat I think that is stupid, thats what the freakin' bed is for. Remove the cute little 6" storage space, cut some of that sheet metal off behind the back doors, and offer it in an 8 foot storage bed!

Building the back seat to be the same size as the Ford and Chevy is great....but adding a 6" storage compartment and shortning the bed was retarded IMHO.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

They didn't shorten the bed, the reason that it has the dimensions that it has is because they used their normal shortbed, 6'3" I think, and put it on the same frame that the quadcab longbed is on. So they had to extend the quadcab like 18 inches in order to make the Megacab sit on the frame.

The great thing about the Dodges is the Cummins. The crappy thing is that the Cummins is surrounded by a Dodge.:D I would have lived with a Dodge if they had done the Megacab right, but oh well.

14. rjfguitar

I relize that, I was saying cut that 6" storage space off to hopefully make just enough room for a long bed option.

I used to think the same thing, but after owning a cummins equipped dodge truck, I like my dash layout, leather seats, suspension, running gear, and the body style better than the Chevies and Fords.

15. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Yes, I'm disappointed too. What is Dodge's problem with giving us an actual roomy CREW CAB, let alone a long bed to boot? This is why trucks like laketex's get built. And the new nose is as ugly as the new Dakota. I like the '94-'02 and '03-'05 nose much better. At least they have the best diesel. I'll just plan on keeping mine for a long time and hope they get it right someday. I love my '00, but more room in the back would be nice. At only 125K, it is showing no signs of getting tired.:D

16. rjfguitar

I've got an '01 like yours and I don't mind the slightly shorter rear seat.....its my truck so I'm always driving, what do I care how much leg room is back there.... :D I'm with you on the front clip.....I still think dodge has not topped the nice front clip from the 94-02's with the sport package, they look really good.

17. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I have two kids growing fast, and they're OK back there, but on long trips they'd like some more room. We knew this going from the old crew cab to the quad, but this was the right truck for me for many other reasons. The kids get spoiled with all the room they have in mom's Silhouette, and I'd always rather take the truck....:grin: Good thing the mini van can't pull the toys.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Methinks you need to re-think your math. Removing a 6" storage space won't free up the 21" needed to go from shortbed to longbed (assuming the longbed is 8') on the same frame.

DCX obviously didn't want to invest in production of a new frame for one model of truck, hence the use of the same frame as a quadcab longbed. Probably makes good business sense to a dollar-saving MBA-type, but as usual, it doesn't give the customers what they really want.

19. rjfguitar

1) I thought maybe by trimming the cab down just a little it would provide jus enough space on a different frame of course, to be able to have the long bed without it being the length of a bus. Joez mentioned it not being any roomier than the FOrd or Chevy, so I can't see why they couldn't have a long bed option too.

2) That is a very good point. We can all sit here and say "blah blah blah" about what we want not thinking about the cost. Obviously the egg heads are considering what we want but are more interested in keeping their pockets deep.

20. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I almost expect to see another redesign here shortly, along with an above one-ton rating, which is why i think they are doing this they way they are. I give it two years and there will be another new dodge on the road or at least in development, but this is just an educated guess, who knows what will really happen.