Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Midnight Ghost HORN!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ironnut, Jan 15, 2005.

1. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

Well it's 4:30am here in Missoula, MT and -10degrees outside! And for some darn reason the horn on my 1998 k2500 woke me and all the neighbors up at about 4:00am when it some how turned on itself and was BLARING!!! So I ran out their in my boxers to disconnect the batteries to turn the gosh darn thing off. How the heck does a horn start blaring on its own??????? Does the cold have something to do with it like the cold somehow makes a connection in a switch? Cause come tommorrow morning in gonna have to reconnect the batteries and knowing my luck the horn will be blaring again. Has anyone heard of this!!!!!!!!???? This truck never ceases to amaze me.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Mabey the truck was horny:D

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have heard of that happening before. Can't remember the exact cause offhand. It seems like something weird happens in the column. You should be able to stop it by unplugging the horn relay.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Yep had a similar experience before with my cousin's mustang. It was parked here on the farm and horn went off one night. :dunno: Like blazer1970 said, you should unplug the horn and then reconnect the batteries. no horn but it won't be on nonstop either

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

When you push doen on on the horn button on your steering wheel you car grounding a wire that sends signal to your Horn relay, this in turn sends a Positive signal to your horn (which is already grounded) and it goes HOOOOOOONNNNKKKKKK!!!!!!!.

I would have to say one of two things happened:

A) A wire in the colum or steering wheel brok down and grounded out which kicked the relay on and HOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNKKKKKK!

b) The relay broke down and just tripped and HOOOOONNNNKKKKK!!!!

First I would try replacing the relay with a new one, if that doesnt work , well, you can pull the horn wire coming out of the colum, (black I think) and snip it and see if that turns it off. You can call just about freindly Car Audio Shop and ask them to look up the horn wire for your truck. If you snip and it quites balring, then you know the problem is in the column, if it still honks than you reconnect the wire and keep traciing....

Good luck
    Nash

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ha ha:grin:HOOOOONK!!:grin:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not that uncommon!

My brother in law's 95 GMC 4x4 does the same thing when the temparature drops below 15 degrees--I narrowed it down to the horn button itself,the plastic cover on the steering wheel center section shinks in the frigid weather,and applies enough pressure to activate the horn..I disconnected the wire at the horn button and ran a separate horn button switch on the dash--its too cold to fix the original horn button--looks like a new steering wheel center will be needed to fix it right,its all warped....I still say the newer the truck,the cheeseier they get....this is what happens when they build the interiors out of tupperware.....:crazy:

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

very true. That is why I love the 73-87/91 style so much... and will never own a newer rig.

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My truck did that once, wound up being the horn relay. When the thing got cold enough, the relay would actually close, setting off the horn, I just opened the relay and bent the rod out enough that it will contact when I honk my horn, but won't go off on its own when it gets cold out :)

10. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

I can tell that the steering wheel cover has shrunken for there is no play when I push/hit the horn button. So I just pulled the horn fuse. Where is the horn relay located so I can check that? Thanks

11. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

Had the same thing happen to my 98, I ended up cutting the wires and getting a new horn.