Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The most frustrating, hair pullingly difficult bolt on your truck to remove

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 3, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm just curious what single not or bolt on your truck has ever given ya'all the most gray hair trying to remove/install. Today I was working on my Gramps 84 K5 fixing a leaky exhaust manifold...The brackets for the power steering pump must be romoved for exhaust manifold to come off...There is a bolt on the front side of the power steering pump, behind the pully. Now I have no idea why my mind told me I needed to remove this bolt...But that decision was one of the single most retarded decisions I have ever made. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif First of all, I didn't need to remove it. First indication would have been the fact that it took me 10 minutes to get it out. Duh. There is like 1/2" of room to work between the pulley and the pump...So it took me 2 hours, 3 band aids, many many many 4 letter words at high volume, numerous tools flung accross the yard, one curious neighbor, and a broken Leatherman tool to get that frickin bolt back in. Never again am I touching that bolt.

Anyone have any similar experiences? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    many many many 4 letter words at high volume,

[/ QUOTE ] I use the same four letter words but under a muffled voice, then I drink myself into a stuper...And all is well.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifKinda makes you wanna meet the guy who fawkin designed it that way huh, then stuff said nut/bolt up his arse..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Most of those bolt area's were designed by Engineer's, who in the late 60's, early 70's, took many different type's of "mind altering drug's" they are now the "Lead or head engineer's at G.M.

That is why thing's like the Citation were created also. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: The most frustrating, hair pullingly difficult bolt on your truck to re

[ QUOTE ]
    Most of those bolt area's were designed by Engineer's, who in the late 60's, early 70's, took many different type's of "mind altering drug's" they are now the "Lead or head engineer's at G.M.

That is why thing's like the Citation were created also. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL And also the Avalanche..(sp)

5. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda makes you wanna meet the guy who fawkin designed it that way huh, then stuff said nut/bolt up his arse.....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif LOL! Thats funny as hell...I was pretty much loudly voicing the exact same thought. I thin thats what scared the neighbor.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Oh don't worry I'm sure ralph Nader has gotten those Engineer's dumped. [remember the Corvair?]

Good ole Ralphy, now he's in Politic's? wtf? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

If you pulled off the pulley with a power steering pulley puller (haha), you wouldn't have had a problem... but I agree, that is a tough one. The other tough one is the oil pressure sensor behind the distributor on the TBI motors...

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ever tried to remove a stripped, rusted seat belt bolt(rounded head kind)?
    Lets just say @#$%^ and two days of hell.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, 3 seconds with the air gun on the center bolt of the power steering pulley remover and then you have excellent access to that bolt! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

dremel and 2 minutes

11. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh, the Citation...my first car. 1982 was the year, it had the big engine...transveresly mounted...ahhh..the memories of trying to get to those back plugs.

I really did like that car a lot, it was super clean, had more power that people expected, and never gave me any trouble. Plenty of room for toting crap...I kick myself for trading it for a NEON (brand new in 95 cuz I was in college and wanted a car I could take on road trips...and I was just dumb, okay? It was a stupid thing to do and I'm sorry...let it go!). My dad knew the lady who bought it and she was happy as hell with it.

This will conclude my hijack of this post...thank you.

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

not the worst, but the first one that comes to mind is the nut on the inside of the rear front spring hanger, i had to literally beat by hammer an adjustable wrench into that tiny crevace then it fell on my toe, i raised my head in pain and nailed my head on the open end of a muffler u-bolt clamp and then getting out from under the truck i stood of and hit my back on an open door and fell face first right back onto the ground where i laid for an hour, wondering when i would ever safely be ab le to get up without blowing my truck up from the rage. . .

13. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

I dunno, the EGR bolts have had thier share of 4 letter words directed at them too.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did those exact same bolts. Doing my diesel swap I had to swap in the hydro-boost junk from the donor truck. The pump and resevoir was loose from the bracket and was held in position with wood wedges in the parts truck. I spent 3 hours with the pump and bracket on a bench fiddling with it...every time I'd get frustrated I'd go have a beer and do something else for a few minutes. Eventually I got all 3 bolts in plus the tiny spacer washer, all without ever removing the pulley.

The worst part was that a month later all 3 bolts had backed out/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and to add insult to injury the resevoir started leaking. My buddy and I swapped the new pump and resevoir on, lock-tite on all the bracket bolts etc etc. Funny how much easier it is to do with no pulley in the way/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lift pump bolts on a 6.2...you can see em, but I'll be damned if you can get any sort of a tool on em easily.

Any of the spark plugs on a Mercury Sable...of the 6, you can see one, the rest of the job is done by braille.

Oh yeah, there is one other nasty bastard of a bolt on our trucks. The bolt for the door hinges, you know the one I mean...it comes from the inside of the truck and is the only bolt that does so. Access to that bolt is brutal...

Rene

15. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

The front and rear springs. When I had the 10 bolt, the stupid steering arm. And oh yeah the stinking brake lines. Just ripped them off and finally bent new ones.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Never again am I touching that bolt

[/ QUOTE ]
    You just doomed yourself... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The list of bolts I've cursed is too long to post. Generally the "worst" is whatever I just got done working on... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Try changing a Fuel pump on an Air Pump equiped carburated V8 without removing the airpump. It takes a good bit to get it out then try keeping the push rod for the fuel pump UP so yuo can put the pump in. Took me 2 hours of doing the exact samething over and over and over and over. I sat in the engine bay the whole time. Couldn't walk right or press my clutch down very well for hours. Oh and if you want to tell me to put the bolt in that holds up the push rod, try doing it with an air pump on. The air pump completely covers that hole so you can't even see it.

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The bolt for the door hinges, you know the one I mean...

[/ QUOTE ] That is why my hinges stayed on when I ran no doors. They had to come off when I put on the soft doors. The trick is (and you prob know, but for others) remove the glove box on the right and the heater duct on the left. Then, on the left side, use 3 extentions, 2 w/ woble and one in the middle w/o, and a shallow socket.

19. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, 3 seconds with the air gun on the center bolt of the power steering pulley remover and then you have excellent access to that bolt! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well no $hit! lol! I kinda figured that out after I got the bolt back in and my eyes quit bugging ot of my head in seething anger. lol. I was so pissed off I don't think I coulda figured out how to run an inpact wrench. Besides, My gramps K5 has electric fans bolted to the radiator...Not much room between the pump and the fans...

[ QUOTE ]
    You just doomed yourself...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't look at it that way. I look at it like I just saved my sanity. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

20. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The list of bolts I've cursed is too long to post. Generally the "worst" is whatever I just got done working on... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto - seems everything i try to pull out is

<font color="purple">a)</font> not a good fit for any of the tools i have in my aspiring shadetree mech arsenal
    <font color="purple"> b)</font> VERY happy right where it is(ie, my bolts have grown roots)