Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the most important vehicle I plan to get

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by big_truxx, Apr 13, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Actually the important one I do not have yet; the family type burb!!! I am looking at getting myself a 1/2 ton, 4x4, barn door, 6.2/700/208 drivetrain, running boards, sunvisor, 3.08 gears, maybe as big as 31" tires, and rear A/C and maybe heat depending on how I want to rig that up custom as I hear the factory heat in rear sucks bad :D But this will be a nice stock type comfortable truck for the grocerie getting, family hauling and errend running. And get good milage :D :waytogo: Now I only need the $$ for the project truck. Seen a couple potentials in the area. from $1,000-$1,500 but the barn doors are a must and I do not really want to swap A/C into a rig that never had it. I hear it's more work than it would be worth. But Will be patient and see how it all goes. I will be buying a tractor this week because I need one and then I won't have the $$ for a burb :( But the tractor is a great deal and it will come in handy when I need to plow driveway (when garage is built and snow comes) and haul logs form the woods (to build afore mentioned garage) and also to assist in haying on my parent's farm this summer. Too bad what I need in a burb didn;'t come for $500 now that I could swing easilly :D :haha: or maybe I should part with one of my 3 silverados in my sig... :thinking: they are all so nice though how does any of us ever bear parting with our trucks. At this point maybe I shgould call the hotline for chevy truck adiction no?

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am thinking more and more I should seriously consider selling my 84 the truck I was saving for the eventual 3116 cat I-6 conversion. Then I could buy the burb to fix into the nice rig I am wanting :thinking: I just may have contracted the suburban virus!!!!

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

rear heat is nice for the peps back there BUT the lines rust out bad, and its in a dumb spot, say you want to get some drywall or plywood, the sheats will have to sit ontop of the heater as it sticks out from the wheel well.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Yes but also I will take into consideration that I currently own 2 4 door duallies... :thinking: and possibly could work around the rear heater (after I did some custom work to improve on it). Seeing as I doubt I will drive to new york to get construction materials and when I do get material much better to haul in a ton truck anyway due to more load capacity. :thinking: Now that I thought of that I think rear heat will be workable :D

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

As far as the rear heat goes you could probably get away with the factory style but recess it back into the cargo area panel until it is even with or behind the wheelwell. Would not be hard to do at all.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

good idea! :waytogo: thanks!!! :D Now I only need to get the 84 sold or select parts sold so I can afford the right start to this project.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well I did it. I decided it best to put the 84 and the 75 up for sale in favor of a burb. Now I know I caught the burb bug :D Go go gadget grocerie getter :D

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well after some thought and CK5 consultation I have narrowed and improved my search and refined the specs. I will most likely go w/ 3.42's with the 6.2 :D A little better overall :waytogo: Also now looking for a 73-81 burb w/ any rear door or an 82-91 w/ barn doors only. Also a must have is A/C and auto. I will even look @ 2wd's :D